“Overpriced for what you get” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Scandic Olympic

You added Scandic Olympic to your Saves list
Scandic Olympic
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Strandbygade 3, Esbjerg 6700, Denmark (Formerly Scandic Olympic Esbjerg City)   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Esbjerg
Devon, UK
“Overpriced for what you get”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed in this hotel whilst the Esbjerg Rock Festival was on. We had a standard room and I was not impressed at all. Everything looked worn and the hotel could do with a refit. The curtains were 10 cm too short and let too much light in the room in the mornings. The beds were ok, but could have done with being a bit more comfortable. The breakfast buffet was not replenished, so if it was gone, there was no more.

Plus sides - close to the town and free wifi.

I'd stayed in this hotel in 2009 and I'm sure it wasn't as bad as this time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
HelleT298, Front Office Manager at Scandic Olympic, responded to this review, September 5, 2014
Thank you for your response. We appriciate all feed back from our guests, that is our possibility to improve our services.
We are sorry that the room did not live up to your expectations. Our standard rooms are due to be renovated very soon. We know that this does not help you much now, but just to let you know, that we strive to improve the quality of our rooms.

Regarding the breakfast buffet, we can only apologize for the experience you had. I will make sure that our F&B manager will receive your feed back as well, to ensure that this will not happen again.

We hope to see you back here again.

Helle Tingberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Trondheim, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Starting with the positives: good location and comfortable bed. The negatives though, where to begin? The service in the bar and restaurant was more akin to a busy cafe, i.e. Slow and inefficient. I lost count of the number of mistakes the staff made as I ate my very average steak. At one point, there were four staff behind the bar panicking as one of the barrels needed changing, but not one of them thought to serve the six people waiting (including me) who may have wanted something else. The menu in the room was appetising with many different options available, but the menu in the restaurant itself had just three choices. No explanation was given as to why, other than a shrug of the shoulders. Many more problems, but I don't have the energy to document them. This hotel relies on repeat business customers and does nothing whatsoever to deserve repeat custom. Next time in Esbjerg, I'm staying somewhere else, and I would suggest you do too.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
HelleT298, Front Office Manager at Scandic Olympic, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
First of all, thank you for the comment here at Tripadvisor. Our guest comments is important to us, to secure a continued development of our product.
I am sorry to hear that we did not live up to your expectations in our restaurant. Your comments will be handed over to our restaurant manager and he will take action on this and evaluate our service levels.
I hope we will be able to do better during your next visit with us.
I still hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in Esbjerg in the not too distant future.
Front office manager
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

If you are visiting Esbjerg, this hotel is vey well positioned. It’s a classic Scandic Hotel, so it’s quite modern and clean and if you get a room with a view (overlooking the harbor), you will love the sunset.

But don’t expect a small boutique hotel with a lot of coziness. This is a classic convenient business hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your comment. We are please that you took the time to review our hotel.
We are proud of the view from our rooms and the sunset. The view from the city side is also quite stunning.
Wish you a great summer.

Front office manager
Muscat, Oman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed in this hotel as our final leg of europe tour, The hotel is centrally locationed within walking distance to down town, The hotel faces the port and is a beautiful scenary from the top floors to view the sea and the port. The rooms are spacious and comfortable for all business travellors. You might find the rooms very close to each other and this is normal in all sorts of business hotels. Most of the TV channels are local and found a few international channels

Very friendly staff in the reception ,Courteous and polite, They have a mini counter in the reception which caters to basic stuff includes beer :-) . We noticed that the hotel is frequented largely by staff working in the oil and gas industry . Highly recommended for business travellors on a short stay in esjberg. We choose this hotel due to close proximity to our office and down town.

NB: Non smoking hotel

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have good view
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HelleT298, Front Office Manager at Scandic Olympic, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Hi!
Thank you for the positive rewiev of our hotel. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Hope to see you back in Esbjerg another time.
Norwich, U.K.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We have just spent two nights in the hotel as part of a DFDS Seaways city break from Harwich (ferry finishing in September - boo-hoo) and found the hotel to be very convenient for both the harbour and the town centre. Both in easy walking distance as is the local rail station. Very friendly greeting by staff on reception and a clean and very comfortable twin room. Not luxurious but very practical for a city visit. Extensive breakfast buffet included. Evening restaurant strange in that it is only open Monday to Thursday evenings and shut at weekends. However a goodly selection of eateries within walking distance.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night as part of a package with DFDS Seaways. The hotel is well located about 5 minutes walk from the ferry terminal and about 5 minutes away from the main shopping street of Esjberg. The rooms are in need of an upgrade and very basic and the bathroom is a bit tatty but the view from my room on the 4th floor was not bad (looking over the harbour)
The one area of the hotel I did find nice was the reception, bar and restaurant which were modern, bright and airy.
Breakfast was very good with plenty of hot and cold choices and I found the staff very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Not bad views at the front and higher up.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

The room I had was fine, that said, I did have an upgraded room. The room in my opinion was a little small, however I was at work most of the day, so I didn't spend much time in the room.

I got back from work at 2100 and the restaurant was already closed, which is quite a disappointment. The hotel doesn't offer any room service either, which is another draw back.

The receptionist (I think his name was Peter), was very helpful in regards to taking care of my luggage when I was at work. I had a mix up with the booking, which required me to move rooms, offered to move my luggage to the new room if I had to move rooms.(however I got my "old" room back).

There was free internet, however it was slow, good enough for emails and such.

All in all, the stay was fine. Not amazed by the hotel, but the get a big "+" in the margin thanks to Peter.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Been to Scandic Olympic? Share your experiences!