“Love it for the Restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Svanen
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nordmarksvej 8, Billund 7190, Denmark   |
Ranked #7 of 11 hotels in Billund
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Love it for the Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

The restaurant in this place is SUPERB. Over an 18-week consultancy placement I've tried all the main hotels and restaurants in Billund, but this place wins hands down. Of 15+ meals, I've had 1 average meal and 14 OUTSTANDING. I'm well travelled but this is some of the best food I've eaten, anywhere - period. The team in the Kitchen changed in Sept 11 and these guys are creative. The staff know it; they love bringing these dishes to the table - explaining each dish - and always want to know what you thought afterward. Nowhere in Denmark is cheap but don't waste the opportunity on the wienershnitzel (my 1 average meal). Scallops are always superb, as is the seasonal Reindeer, beef and the Fano Salmon. Deserts are, well - see for yourself. In between all that the complimentary apetisers are little works of art. Enjoy :-]

Room Tip: Rooms start Standard, Comfort, Business etc. Most are en-bloc as Svanen originally a Motel. Cheapest...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We booked our 2 night stay through Hotels.com, after booking I read up on the reviews... and I have to warn others that all the pictures on the web site are from the renovated "luxury" rooms, not the standard or comfort rooms! We booked a room that was supposed to be big enough to sleep 4 people (2 adults, 2 kids) a so called standard room. Upon arrival we noticed that the hotel was actually a motel with separate buildings. I asked the clerk if we would be getting one of the renovated rooms that was pictured on the web site, she asked which website we booked through, when I told her the website she said that it's actually deceiving as all the pictures on hotels website and expedia are of the newly renovated luxury rooms not the standard one I booked. She then proceeded to tell me that in fact, the standard room was too small to sleep the 4 of us and she "upgraded" us to a comfort room. Even this comfort room was small but it was at least clean, it had one double bed and one double sofa. The bathroom was just ok, I read a review stating that it was an excellent shower experience, ours was very ordinary. Our room was in one of the side buildings separate from the main entrance/restaurant and had to walk around outside to get to the restaurant in the morning, not so fun with 2 small kids and rainy weather to boot. However, the breakfast buffet was decent with a few warm selections and also some cold. I like the fact that breakfast started nice and early (5am-10am) great for early departures!!
The location of the hotel was great for us, right by Lalandia water park where we were headed.
Overall our stay was good but it would have been excellent had we gotten what we expected.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I spent the night at Svanen Hotel because of an early 6 am departure out of Billund Airport. Fabulous room with great clean fluffy duvets and pillows. Had the best shower so modern I probably did not get streams from all the faucets, one of the best showers ever experienced in Denmark. The very newest coffee/espresso machine, i-pod in the bathroom, flat screen television. I got there rather late as I had been with my Danish family for as long as possible, but earlier in August I had been there with my daughter and we had a snack, delicious, and the dining room and bar looked so enticing I hope to have dinner there some time. This place is a traveler's dream. Wonderful conscierge as well.
Inge Moore

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Cardiff, Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Yes it is a motel but my room was more comfortable and modern than other Danish hotels I have stayed in and the staff were polite and helpful. I would stay there again.

As a place to stay I didn't have any complaints. The reason Svanen doesn't get a 4 is because the restaurant is overpriced. The food is good but just too expensive.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011 via mobile

I don't get it. Why list yourself as a hotel when it is clearly a motel?
Place is ok but not a 4 star hotel/motel. It is impossible to watch TV from bed since the room is L shaped and they place it behind the L.
Look on their web site and the entrance is beautiful until you figure out all ends there! Things are not cheap either. Based on price would expect more. Guess they figure if they got you might as well soak you since you would not be back. I added a picture to where the TV is and the "real" outside of room.

• Stayed September 2011
hedensted
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Food was absolutly crap. they served monday the 12 sep, 'wiener schnitzel'' but but this was made of a bloody steak meat and not nice veal meat .. the taste was awful bloody and this combined with ''breadcrumbs''... The waiters didnt understand anything, price was crazy..
We will never come there again.

ksn

Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Svendborg, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Overcrowded with families with small children. Unpersonal service..or actually no service. Seemed to us like an advanced form of a hostel. Rooms were small, run down and were terribly hot and stuffy. Restaurant so expensive we chose to eat outside locally.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Svanen? Share your experiences!