“Standard Hostel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 11 Specialty Lodging in Aarhus
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Standard Hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

City Sleep-In is a pretty standard hostel. Decent location. The guy at reception wasn't overly animated but was helpful enough when we asked questions. Even though I'd booked an 8 bed dorm somehow I was in a 12 bed dorm but that didn't bother me. Shared shower and toilets were ok. Common room with TV, Fussball table, etc. Wi Fi signal was pretty good. I'd say it is a little on the expensive side for what you get here as it is nothing special.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Davis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Went with a few friends and stayed for one night.

LOCATION
The hostel is located right near the harbor, but it was quite a walk from the central bus station - at least 15 minutes. However, it is very close to the main shopping areas, the sea, and if you want to take public transit, there's a trolley and bus stations nearby.

FACILITIES

Lobby/common room

The lobby and common room were pretty spacious, There was a locker room for valuables. The common room housed a billiards table, and a lounge with a very large flatscreen TV, and very nice couches, all of which we took advantage of.

Room

The rooms were quite big, 3 bunkbeds (6 beds total) to our room. There were high-school sized lockers to each bed, and a small desk where people could study, place their things, etc. You must purchase your sheets! They only provide a towel. I made the mistake of not knowing this, and they were pretty expensive! Being as broke as I was, I slept in my clothes and made a blanket out of my jacket!

Bathroom

Looked like a school bathroom. The showers weren't that great - the water was either burning hot or freezing cold - there was no happy medium! They were also a stall-style shower, so I had to put my clothes in a pile outside the stall. The upside is that the bathroom appeared clean and smelled nice, so that was a plus.

STAFF

Staff is NOT always available! We happened to get there at the wrong time - around 9 PM. There was no one at the staff desk! So we had to play a couple games of billiards until the guy came back - about 45 minutes after we arrived. We did not interact too much with the staff, but the guy behind the counter seemed pretty patient and willing to help us with any issues we had.

Room Tip: Any room is good! Quiet, spacious, and comfortable (even when you DON'T have sheets!).
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

We paid fortune for a room worse than my dorms. Bathroom didn't have a working light and no window either. Sink tubes weren't attached to anything so all the water was leaking on my feet. Shower was just a hole in the middle of the tiny bathroom. Was afraid to use it in case the whole room would flood. Terrible experience . Complete waste of money.

• Stayed January 2013
Aabenraa, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

First and last stay at City Sleep-In - that's for sure.

If backpacker's standards (and I've stayed on a bunch of those around the world), fine, but then let the price be adjusted hence.

I paid 550 DKK for a room plus linen. This money buys you an absolutely agreable accomodation in other Danish and international cities so I was expecting a medium standard room.

What I found was a very small room with a super small bathroom, no towel, worn-out pillow and blanket and an altogether shabby conditioned interior.

Definitely not worth 550 DKK. Half would have been fair - if that!

I asked for Wi-fi connection which was included in the price. Nice, I like that. At a speed of 300 kbps, though, the connection was a "smartphone don't".

I did not pay for breakfast but had a peek inside the breakfast room and I would question the value for 70 DKK, but this is merely "substantial evidence", of course.

Book somewhere else when in Aarhus. This is such a nice city, so don't get your impression ruined by this flophouse.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Vegårshei
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

A very simple hotel, no luxery, but very cheap compared to other hotels in the area. And short distances to the attractiones in Aarhus. The atmosphere is nice. Internet, biljard and a beautiful garden to relax after walking around in the city. I paid (once) dkk 20. (2,7 euro/3,5 $) for linnen/towel. I hope to be back at City Sleep-In next time I'll be in Aarhus!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Oslo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

To be a hostel with a reception which is only manned at certain times during the day, I think they charge too much for a twin room with en-suite bathroom. You have to hire bed linen and make your own beds. Towels have to be hired as well. The room was extremely basic and could have been cleaned a bit more thoroughly.

I´m sure if you´re travelling alone and you just want a bed in a dorm and a shared bathroom this is ok, but if you want a private bathroom, I would definitely look for other budget options in Aarhus. It has to be said, though, that the location is very good and central.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have just returned from staying at the City Sleep-In. As we were attending the Smukfest Festival in nearby Skanderborg we just needed a place to sleep and shower. The room was small and basic. It had a private bathroom/wet room which, like the room, was small but clean and functional. The corridors were quiet and we felt very safe there. The staff were lovely but we did get caught out a little as the flights arrive early in Aarhus and the check in is not until four. Great location!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to City Sleep-In? Share your experiences!