“Very quiet and confortable” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Royal to your Saves list
Hotel Royal
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Store Torv 4, Aarhus 8000, Denmark   |
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Aarhus
scottsdale az and brussels belgium
“Very quiet and confortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I went with a friend and requested 2 superior rooms, I insisted on a very quiet room. We arrived at 12h30 pm, only one room was ready so we put our luggage in the room and went to lunch. When we came back I opted for the smallest of the 2 rooms overlooking a glassed inner courtyard....it was very quiet, my friend had a room on the street and he said some late night party goers were noisy....well it was Friday and Saturday night !
The décor of my room was crazy and pompous....the bathroom sink, bidet and toilet painted black and gold.....it was fun.
Good free WI FI , efficient reception
only bad point, the in room breakfast was pitiful one small bread 2 very thin cheese slice, one little butter plastic container one cup of hot chocolate.

Room Tip: Choose a room not on the street side
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Despite the stained carpet in the hotel's common areas, my first impressions of the hotel were positive. However, I liked the hotel less and less the longer we stayed.

Location:
The hotel is located in the central part of town and was within very short walking distance of great cafes and shops. Still, despite being in a non-street facing room and on the top floor, we found it to be very noisy. Also, the hotel offers no dedicated parking, which meant we needed to leave our car at the harbour.

Rooms:
We booked a suite, and while it was spacious and seemingly nice, I liked it less the longer we were there. The bed was not comfortable, and the blankets were made for single sized beds, which meant that I couldn't share one with my partner. The soap in the bathroom hadn't been refilled, and they didn't offer separate hand and shower soap, which meant we had to move the same bottle around for bathing and hand washing. And while art is a matter of taste, the pieces they chose for the room didn't match the decor or each other. It was odd.

Service:
Danes tend to be rather reserved, but it would have been great for the hotel staff to at least attempt a smile every now and then. They were not rude, but hospitality was not forthcoming.

Food:
The breakfast service (included in the room rate) met the minimum level in terms of both variety and taste to be considered adequate. Still, had we booked for more than one night, I would have eaten breakfast on subsequent days at one of the many cafes nearby.

Staying in this hotel is not the worst decision one could make, but I would hope better accommodation exists in the area. Aarhus is a wonderful city, and proper accommodation could enhance that experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one week while he was on a work trip. We had a suite room and it was nice and big with a separate seating area and a desk which was perfect since I worked from the hotel all week. The bed is comfortable, not a big fan of the pillows though, woud like them to be bigger or more of them. The breakfast is good, although it does get a bit boring after one week. They have bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, lots of breads, cheeses, cold meats, fruits, pastries, cereals, and many different juices. Very good, just got old eating the same things every day. I did not eat in the hotel for lunch or dinner because I felt it was very pricey. There are so many restaurants around the area, I would rather go explore them. Location of the hotel is ideal. Right in the center of everything. There is shopping, restaurants, cafes, etc within minutes of the hotel. We took a taxi from the central station to the hotel, it took about 5 minutes. Check in was a breeze and the staff was very accommodating for anything I needed while there. Overall, wonderful stay. We will definitely stay here next time we're in town.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have spent one night here so far - took train from Copenhagen - nice gentle journey - The Royal is 2 minutes taxi or 10 minute walk. Its a classic hotel. Even has the old style lift. I have traveled on a budget, and for the same cost per night in Copenhagen (and rest of Scandinavia) this was an option. I got a twin/double, really stylish room, very sophisticated and classy. Internet is great, but phones were down. Booked a meal in the restaurant, and actually very good, very interesting and unusual but good value. I'd recommend it, but not for kids who want a burger. Had breakfast this morning and it was excellent choice.Because the phones are down I have been walking the 3 floors to get room service.. believe it or not... But it's easy and comfortable. Staff and management have been exceptional, even the difficult tasks I have set them, they have been attentive and very helpful. Staying another night, then going to try the Ritz by the station. Ordered room service tonight, lets see what I get ! can't wait

Room Tip: Book it early, I have tried to re-book, and its not available
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Booked the hotel last minute, so didn't really know too much about the place (hotel or even the town) beforehand. What a great surprise! Great central location, large, comfortable rooms and old world Grand Hotel charm all around, except the front desk which was quite casual. Interesting paintings in rooms and corridors, good breakfast. Hard to believe there could be anything better in town!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Best location in the center of Aarhus. Large comfortable rooms in old style and nice staff ready to help with any inquiry. Breakfast to die for with lots of temptations. Don't worry about the church bells - the don't chime during the night.

• Stayed June 2013
Odense, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is the historic grand hotel in Aarhus.
The latest major renovation was done quite a number of years ago, but in general the hotel is in good shape.
The rooms are quite large and the junior suites very large. Ask for a room with a view of "Store Torv".
Lots of artwork around the halls of the hotel.
Lively casino in the basement.
The restaurant Queens Garden switched to new management a year ago and can be recomended.
All in all a good place to stay in Aarhus but compared to the competition I think it is a bit over-priced.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Royal? Share your experiences!