“Skyros for summer! Atsitsa was amazing.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 attractions in Skyros
Type: Educational Sites
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Atsitsa, on the pine-forested western coast of Skyros island, offers a wide range of activities including windsurfing, yoga, art, music and much more. It's an ideal place to try something new and discover hidden talents. Atsitsa's lively holiday holidays - 30 to 80 people at a time - are friendly and bursting with life. Courses, facilitators, fabulous food and the beautiful environment are, naturally, all central to the experience. But for many, the real value and essence of a stay in Atsitsa is to be found in its rich community life and the opportunity to meet an interesting mix of people from all walks of life. Life in Atsitsa is informal and relaxed with a dress code to match. Skyros holidays have been described as 'the first and still the best' alternative holiday by The Guardian. The Sunday Times described it as 'One of the world's best holidays'. The holidays tend to attract solo travellers and single supplements are avoided as most guests take the option to share twin accommodation with others of the same gender and similar age. A huge majority - over 80 percent - report that the Skyros experience had a lasting positive effect on their lives. Even after they have said that Skyros was the 'holiday of a lifetime', nearly a third come back again and again.
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Skyros for summer! Atsitsa was amazing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Last summer I teetered on the brink of booking a Skyros holiday in Atsitsa. I went ahead, did it, and I have had a spring in my step ever since. It was a delicious, indulgent magical place where everything seemed possible. Over the 10 days there the strangers that I met became great friends and I laughed as much on that holiday as much as I did as a teenager. I want to take my family back this year because my children aged 6 and 8 would love it too.

Visited August 2011

• Greek first
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“I went on a Skyros holiday and lived there for a whole year!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

When I was 17 (which was not recently unfortunately), I went on a Skyros holiday. Alone and full of romantic notions of writing a best seller after attending a two week course...ahem...excuse the naivety, compulsory for a 17 year old...I have never, ever regretted that decision. It shaped the course of my life irrevocably and I think of it often. I went for two weeks and then I returned for a whole year, living with the Skyrians, learning the language and the impossible nature of the Greeks (who will take you under their wing forever, if you'll only attempt their language!).

My tips? Look for Atherinis bar, MEPOH (pronounced MEROY in Greek) go to the quiet nudist beach, even if you don't want to go nude, it's the nicest. Eat Tyropitta cheese pies. Say Calimera in the shops. Know that they call Heineken, Brassinie (greek for Green!)Eat in Kristinas restaruant, And if you can find ANYONE to take you to the secret church in the hills, then you have really seen Skyros.

This place is life changingly, one of a kind.

liverpool
“skyros”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Skyros 2011.

I took the plunge and went to Skyros last year on my own. Didnt know what/who to expect.
Amazing experience. Beautiful island. But most of all Skyros runs on the people. Andrew from Glasgow.what can I say? Excellent chef, master of wonderful food inventions full of health and goodness. Lovely lovely person who works very hard at making sure everyone is kept comfortable and looked after. Thanks Andrew.hoping I can get back later this year. Marian Liverpool.

London
“heavenly place to go...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I have been to this magic place 2 times and have booked to go again this summer. Its not just sun, beach, sea, lovely food, and activities, its intellegence for body, mind and soul. Its imagination, its narnia, its like Mary Poppins elixir that tastes just like what you needed and didnt know you needed. For adults. There might seem to be new age stuff happening, but my indie son came with me and learning to beely dance, do yoga and sail was suddenly the coolest thing to do.
the friendships and connections that I made are amazing, and I still know those people and the friendships are slowly growing still 10 months on. Its a sort of urban family with no urban, just a beautiful setting. You can go alone and feel fine and free. Come and meet me there this summer !

Visited July 2011
Wakefield, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“The best holiday - EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

This is an oasis in time and space, a chance to participate in different kinds of activities, or none, a place to meet new people who become friends for longer than the holiday, and an opportunity do have "me" time in abundance. The leadership ensures that you are cared for, it is a very "safe" place, I went as a lone traveller, and did not feel my personal space was ever compromised. Skyros is a beautiful island, retaining the essence of Greece; and Atsista is out of this world. A truly amazing holiday, and I hope always to go again "one more time". Many do! I've been three times, I think that is praise enough!