For our summer holiday we spent 4 nights in Spestes at Villa Martha (130 Euro) and 3 nights in Hydra at Phaedra Hotel (110 Euro).
Positives for Villa Martha are as follows:
1) garden - very pleasant with a good sized pool for a small hotel with breakfast tables a few feet away. Of the smaller hotels in Spetses, definitely one of the best -much more space than much more expensive Orloff Resort a few minutes walk away.
Large front garden cuts out the problem of motor bike noise that a lot of hotels suffer from in Spetses due to horrendous number scooters and motor bikes,
2) location - if you do not mind the 15 minute walk to town. Not ideal if you are not willing to walk into town, but good for Agia Marina beach which is OK and where the adjoining restaurant although not cheap is very good. Big positive is a great little beach which is accessed by walking down the street running perpendicular to main road and nearly opposite hotel. You pass a lot of very nice expensive holiday villas to get to. This beach has no taverna and is popular with residents. You can see it from Agia Marina beach but a bit difficult to get to.
1) room - bedroom pretty bland and pretty small - standard cheaper Greek hotel fare. We overlooked the back street so not the greatest view. Street was quiet. Bathroom small and very ugly and needing refit. A/C OK but blowing over bed too much. Bed firm - typically Greek, OK.
2) Breakfast - standard cheaper Greek hotel - i.e not exactly special, but acceptable.
3) service - mixed. First day we asked for towels for the beach and was told that there were none as it was not a resort hotel. This type of answer is a micky take - is there an expectation of hoteliers that you have to fly from another country with beach towels when staying in a 130 Euro hotel. As we muttered what a joke and started going back to the room to get the room towels the owner went and got some old towels. We also rang for pick up from the harbour- as it specifically states on the website that pick up and drop off to harbour are provided. They picked us up only when we rang a second time as no cabs were around - we had come in on a small boat from Tolo not the main ferry, but had to get a horse buggy to take us back. I really resent the website stating one thing which is explicitly ignored in practice. Rest of service was actually OK and quite friendly -they seemed to take a day to weigh us up and we got a positive reaction despite our towel request. But overall - the owner managers need to take a few lessons in hotel management from the Phaedra. They seem to have gone into the hotel trade as they think it will be fun but are not willing to provide the service that is demanded to make a really good small hotel.
Conclusion: in the end the overall pleasantness of the garden meant I was ok with the hotel choice (just) but I would not go back again. Having checked out the Orloff - if 20% more expensive than Martha I would go to Orloff, Resort but at double the price for ordinary space, a breakfast that looked nothing special but a more stylish room - I would still go for the Martha. If I had the money I would be tempted to take over the hotel and make it a lot better with a major fit out and better management.
Island - the main harbour town is pleasant and lots of restaurants. Our favourite was Bouboulina on the harbour - good value and good food but some times a bit curt service. recommend the open air cinema - on top of a building so very pleasant when there is a breeze. Beaches are OK. Big downside - motor bikes/scooters, what a racket. What a relief to go to Hydra and the peace and quiet of no motor bikes and no cars. Better hotels and peacefulness made Hydra for me a winner over Spetses' better beaches.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelsClick and Priceline so you can book your Villa Martha reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.