“Gorgeous modern greek hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Hydra
8, Petrou Voulgari, 18040, Greece   |
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Hydra
Sydney, Australia
“Gorgeous modern greek hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Hydra hotel is a gorgeous modern style pensione hotel. It is beautifully decorated and the rooms are very comfortable and elegant. The service is very personal and warm. The only draw back is the hike up the stairs from the port - there are about 150 steps to get to the front door of the hotel. That said I really felt that it was worth the hike. I would recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a romantic island getaway.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have terraces out the back - they don't have views but are very nice for relax...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Greek first
Noosa, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We were looking forward to visiting the quiet island of Hydra by ferry, after finishing up a cruise that brought us back to Athens. For those who don’t know, there are no cars, trucks, utes, motorbikes, quad bikes, or even pedal bikes allowed on the roads in the old town. It’s really wonderful, with only the garbage truck getting in our way every morning. As the town is built on hills, the way to move things around is with either hand drawn soft-wheeled carts, or donkeys (or mules, as some teamsters prefer).

We traveled to Hydra on the Hellenic Seaways’ Flying Cat 4, reminiscent of Hong Kong to Macau transport.

Unlike Macau, where one enters a fray with taxi drivers on arrival, in Hydra we were met by Mario with his two mules, Marcos and Marinos. My suggestion is to have your hotel arrange the mule/donkey transfer for you ahead of time, as we did - it can make arrivals less stressful after a day of travel.

In no time our bags were tied on the saddles on the backs of the mules and we headed off down the quay, past the pubs where the World Cup TVs would be entertaining later, and up the stepped hills to our room at the ‘Hydra Hotel.’ Sarah and I were going flat out to keep up with the mules, who took all this in stride.

Ms Katerina greeted us, standing on the steps of the hotel as we followed the mules, then showed us to our room, which was on the second floor, in the middle of the building - the only room with a balcony. She also showed us where we would enjoy our breakfast the following mornings, a small outdoor garden oasis off the upstairs hallway. We found this lovely, except for the occasional smoker enjoying their breakfast smoke at the expense of our fresh air.

The rooms were good, with a fine, firm and moderately large bed, plenty of storage in the bedroom, a sitting room with a small kitchenette, suitable for the preparation of meals if that’s what you want. Pots, pans, even a mini stick-blender and two burner electric stove (with one burner being the smallest I’ve ever seen).

The free internet was via wi-fi, and adequate for our travel needs.

For people who are lung or fitness capacity challenged, this hotel is not for you. Steps, steps, steps, from the water up to the hotel, up to the room, all of which go some way to keeping off the calories of tourist eating and drinking!

As a side note; The Greek ferry companies would do well to explore the concept of e-tickets - we finally had a friend in Athens book the ferry legs for us. Some parts of a booking can be done on-line, but were told we must still pick up the physical tickets. Airlines figured this out a long time back.

Room Tip: As others have mentioned, the balcony room, 202, provides exceptional views.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

We had three nights at Hotel Hydra out of our 2-week stay in Greece, and I would have been happy to have spent our entire vacation there. We got the room with the balcony, which was worth every penny. Spacious sitting room with a tiny foldaway kitchen and plenty of cupboards - high ceilings and tons of light and a dreamy color scheme of varying shades of palest green. I should mention that my husband thought the bed was too hard. And the balcony was too glaring in the mornings and too windy in the evenings to be entirely satisfactory, but there was always some time every day when it was delightful to sit there and watch everything (by that I really mean nothing) going on in the town below - the donkeys waiting at the harbor, the old man visiting the pharmacy, the lady walking her dog... Spotlessly clean rooms, helpful and pleasant staff, delicious breakfasts served at whatever ridiculously late hour you want in a lovely courtyard - what more could you ask?! A short but steep walk to the center of town, and not too far from a good swimming beach.

Room Tip: The balcony room is lovely
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

My missio-- partner and I stayed here and I would recommend it to every one of my friend! Hydra is a beautiful place in a beautiful country. Very romantic and relaxing. A perfect getaway destination for lovers!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

me and my partner stayed there in ealry September. it was charming - worth the walk up the stairs - it was simple, clean, elegant, friendly - Katerina the manageress is thoughtful and kind. Breakfast was perfect and served anytime. It was good value for money. We will be back.
Johno and DannyBoy (Australian and Canadian)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

A good hotel is an important decision for my holiday planning and it usually troubles me a lot. But at the end I manage to get the right deal. This time, with Hotel Hydra, I exceeded myself!
Overlooking the harbor and the village, spacious, simple but elegant, with lots of light and peaceful colors, arty and all along with great service. The breakfast was simple, but it was the right choice in order to sufficiently support the hotel's small scale. I could suggest a bigger variety on cheeses and hams.
I consider it to be the most suitable hotel to enjoy the beauty of this astonishing island. Certainly one of the most enjoyed accommodation I ever had. Was worth every penny we spent.
I hope we will be back soon…

Room Tip: We stayed in room 203 which is very large with separate bedroom, large windows and a great living ro...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed fro three nights at the Hotel. For our luggage we asked by e-mail for a mule .The hotel is near the port , but away from its noise. Wonderful friendly management. Fantastic view ( you have to ask for that). Superb room and tasty continental breakfasts. A great sejour in beautiful Hydra.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the port., Best is the one with balcony.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Hydra? Share your experiences!