“Assault” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Sparta
Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
“Assault”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

I was assaulted by the waiter at this hotel. The waiter struck my 1 year old son and choked and pushed my all because my 1 year old son and my 3 year old daughter sat a one of the hotel tables for 4 minutes while eating a slice of pizza. Stay away from this crazy waiter. He is about 6 feet tall, slender with gray hair. He waits on the outside tables.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We stayed at Menalaion upon the advice of Greek family members who live in Sparta. The hotel is in the center of the main street and the main square is nearly adjacent. If you only speak English, it can be a little tough as not all staff are fluent. We were not offered free breakfast as another reviewer mentioned. BUT Mr. Donut is right on the square and has typical American style fast food and menus are all in English! If you travel with picky little kids, its the easiest place to get a traditional hamburger or hot dog. Walk around a bit and you'll find a couple grocery stores. Eurobank ATM is next door and so is Germanos (prepaid cell phones, etc.). Beds and rooms were small but very clean and comfortable. There is modern air conditioning. The pool is private and nice. There is minor traffic noise from the main road. I have to counter other reviews and say that parking is terrible, especially during evening hours; and we were in the low season. The staff got REALLY irritable when we parked to load or unload luggage at the curb to the point of calling every room to find who had parked there. They also discouraged use of the elevator, even though we had a large group with many bags. We used it anyway. Otherwise, it is a nice hotel & would stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

Arriving in Sparta and having made no reservations, our expectations weren't that high. Still we were only spending one day there, so we looked around and got a suite for the day. One thing immediately stood out. The staff. Granted it is their job, but I have never come across such helpful and welcoming individuals. Kudos there!

Due to my job (computer networks) I have always had a *thing* for Internet connectivity at hotels. Here I was able to connect via wifi or ethernet cable (which was given to me just in case) and use an account that was created for us during check-in, at no additional cost of course. This, to me, shows good planning and procedures, and that's always a good thing in hotels.

Now, the food. Taking breakfast by the pool was a great way to start the day. The hotel's restaurant certainly isn't one of those who believe that just because you chose to stay there it means they don't have to try much. The food was *excellent*, and the same can be said about the room service. Prices were not bad either.

All in all, seeing the hotels from the outside it's hard to imagine that it's that good. Certainly didn't expect such a lovely stay. I was actually sad that I could only stay for one day, but the good news is, we will be visiting again very soon. And I already know where we'll be staying ;)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

The Menelaion Hotel in Sparta, Greece, was a nice find in a pretty ordinary town. It was clean, modern and had excellent internet access facilities for a reasonable cost. The restaurant was also nice with good service and good food. My friend and I enjoyed our brief stay there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

we were recently at the menelaion hotel in sparta. this was our third time there and we decided to stay at the menelaion this time on the recommendation of some friends. we were a family of 4. my husband and i and our teenagers.
omg...this place by far exceeded my expectations! what a gorgeous hotel!! just recently renovated, it was quiet elegance at it's best! beautiful greek sculptures throughout, classic lines, welcoming, inviting, i can't say enough.
from the moment we walked in, we were greeted by the GM, dimitri. what a great guy! so helpful, funny, always making sure we were taken care of!
our rooms were fantastic. clean, huge by european standards, and modern. the showers were great, toilets worked perfectly.
now on to the location, not a better one around! right in the heart of the city. near banks, cafes, restaurants, shopping, bakeries (omg the bakeries...especially the PALAMIDI you have to go!!!!).
i saved the best for last, the food at this hotel is PHENOMENAL!!! better than any of the restaurants that we tried. my husband and i sat by the pool one night for dinner, beautiflul, sooo romantic!!!
honestly, i will never stay at another hotel in sparta again and i highly recommend it to everyone. feel free to email me for any further info.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Correze
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

This hotel has been beautifully renovated and the reception staff very helpful. Our room was very modern 'spacious and immaculate. The only 'buts' were :- no hot water at 9pm only lukewarm and sound proofing between rooms very poor. Could hear everything in next room including toilet visits !! Staff failed to tell us about free wifi but for one night not too much of a problem. Breakfast was excellent.

That said I would recommend the hotel if you get a good rate but maybe not at full rate. I have stayed at several small hotels which have offered excellent rooms and good service at a much lower rate.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

i travel to Greece ever year from Australia and i visit family and friends in Sparta. last year i stayed at mystra which was beautiful but this year sought a hotel which was a little more central. the Menelaion was recommended to me and all expectations were surpassed - i cant fault the hotel in any way. the service was great, the rooms are comfortable and clean. the poolside dinner i had one evening at the hotel restaraunt was excellent. if you are looking for somewhere to stay in sparta the Menelaion is hard to beat. the location is literally around the corner from sparta's main square.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Menelaion Hotel? Share your experiences!