“Already booked for next year” 5 of 5 stars

Florida Blue Bay
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Psathopyrgos Ahaix, Patras 26504, Greece   |
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Patras
Kent, UK
“Already booked for next year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

I'd never used Tripadvisor before, a work colleague recommended it and i have to say looking at the reviews and inparticular the photo's before we left I was a little nervous.

This hotel though is fantastic, in fact it is so good we will be returning next year.

We have four children all under the age of six, due to delays with flights we arrived later than planned and after a little searching found the hotel (about three hours from Athens), actually quite easily considering it was dark. The car park was well light and there was plenty of space for us to park our nine seat rental bus (all Hertz had with six seats). The reception area was very clean and a member of staff was sat at reception when we walked in, within fifteen minutes the six of us and our luggage where up to the second floor and into our two adjoining rooms. Each room seemed clean and we went to bed, after all it was nearly three am.

When I was awoken the next morning by one of my sons, we were able to see that our room with it's three beds was actually a good size, clean, tidy, practical and nice and cool thanks to the air con. We even had a balcony that over looked the neighbours garden and offered a view into the village, my first impressions were very good. Then we walked into my wife's and daughters room, same lay out and again clean tidy etc. Their balcony though over looked the pool and the sea. OMG, the view was amazing, we're all sold.

The hotel is nothing like the photo's on here and when i work out how to load my pictures on I will. The pool area has it's own bar and seating area, within the pool there are several areas where you have a hot tub style bubble/spa jet thing which was great on the back and made the kids giggle almost non stop.

The pool is clean and has plenty of sun loungers dotted around it, the bar staff even come around the tables offering drinks and bar snacks and more impressively a never ending supply of free sun cream should you have run out or left yours in your room.

I work in a stressful job and normally it takes me three or four days to unwind and get into the holiday spirit and again two / three days before heading home I'm thinking of work again. From the first morning to the last afternoon I felt completely relaxed. The area is so idilic and the staff so hopeful that you can't help but unwind.

Most days we ate in the hotel at least once, whether it be breakfast, lunch, or dinner we never had a bad meal. Some days we opted for the buffet others from the menu, the food was nice, the three (5, 4 & 4 yes twins)children ate very well and there was never an issue of wondering what we could give them. The staff even seemed happy to heat or blend our food for our baby (six months) and again she picked from our plates and all was well.

The local village has five or six restaurents and we ate in three of them, again good food, good prices and good service. The amount of stray dogs though was a little surprise on our first night out, by the end though the children were happily feeding them the left overs, which funnily enough seemed to increase towards the end of the holiday!

Patras is about 15/20 minutes drive away and has a good selection of shops and a rather well equipped cinema that shows english language films with greek subtitles, whilst we were there I got to watch two Disney films much to the joy of our children.

All in all it was a very relaxing holiday, we're already thinking about going back next year only this time we might be taking the father in law as well. All that space and a babysitter, I don't we'll come back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Greek first
Heidelberg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

We were doing a road trip from Athens through Korinth and Mycannae and then on up to Delphi, so we chose Patras as good in-between place to stay for the night. The Florida Blue Bay Hotel was the place we decided on based on price and reviews and it met all expectations. The only bad thing about this hotel is getting to it; we arrived at night and got a little turned around, but eventually found our way. The hotel was nice, the rooms were decent, the staff was great and breakfast was great. The location was nice, though - right on the water with their own pool and deck right off into the ocean.

*One thing to note - I did read someone's disappointment somewhere with the hotel having ocean water in the pool. While we didn't have a chance to test the pool out, this is normal in Greece for hotels on the ocean.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

My stay at Florida Blue Bay hotel has been one of the most enjoyable experiences of this year's summer.

The hotel is located right next to the village of Psathopyrgos, a scenic little village near Patras city. Away from the fuss of the city, it is an excellent place to relax and enjoy the wonderful Greek sun and sea.

I found the Hotel staff really professional, well groomed and friendly, happy to respond to any request, within reason.

The rooms were comfortable and really clean, and they offered a great and relaxing view, to the sea and to the mountain. I used the room itself mostly for sleep (and other bed related activities ;-), but I spend many hours sitting on the spacious balcony, gazing the beauty of nature.

The food at the hotel was beyond fantastic. The morning buffet included anything I could imagine in a breakfast and the lunch buffet had a great variety of choices, cooked to near perfection, able to satisfy even the most demanding palate. Being a big eater myself, I gained a couple of pounds due to their excellent dishes.

With the sea being a bit rough (the beach, unfortunately, was a rocky one), most of my swims were at the pool. The pool bar played a great selection of music at a reasonable loudness and they served great cocktails. Also, for those who are more fond of the sea than the pool, the hotel has installed a wooden isle so they can bypass the rocky beach and have a swim at the clean waters.

I though that being away from the city, the night life would suffer. But I soon realised how close the City of Patras was. Less than ten minutes away by car, and with tactical bus service for those who don't drive, the rich nightlife of Patras had choices for every preference.

I would also totally recommend the spa service. For an extremely reasonable price, the result was great relaxation and a feeling of well-being.

All in all, my experience of Florida Blue Bay had it all: Relaxation, Great food, rich Night life at Patras city, wonderful sleep and a great view from the rooms.

What else is there to ask from a hotel?

• Liked — The great food
  • Disliked — The rocky beach
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

My stay at Florida Blue Bay with my family has been a relaxing and rewarding experience on many levels.

The hotel offers a level of luxury which, in my opinion, goes way beyond the asked price. Our room was spacious, comfortable, and from the balcony it had an excellent view to both the sea and the forest covered mountain at the same time - you don't see that too often! Sometimes, I would just sit at the balcony for hours on end, gazing at the water or the trees, feeling incredibly relaxed.

The hotel staff left me with the best impressions. Everyone was well groomed, helpful and polite, quick to serve any of our needs, whether it was to call a taxi or get some room service etc. I had a wonderful time on my many visits at the spa (with really good prices too), and the bar by the pool was a great place to hang out, from noon till after hours

And don't let me get started on the food. It was so good, I only had lunch or dinner outside of the hotel once in ten days (and gained a couple of pounds in the process)! The buffet had a minimum of twelve different dishes at lunch and dinner (some days it was Ala-carte too), and more than once I felt the need to congratulate the chef on his culinary feats.

Regarding night life, Psathopyrgos is a small village with not much to do, but the city of Patras is really close, by bus or taxi, and it offered all the entertainment I could ask for, day and night.

The only thing I can think that was a bit of a "let down" in the hotel itself was the fact that I was not allowed to smoke in the breakfast lounge. But I guess other people having their breakfast have the right not to inhale my smoke.

All in all, I loved my stay at Florida Blue Bay, and it is definitely in my plans to repay them a visit next summer.

• Liked — The excellent view from the rooms, both to the sea and the mountain at the same time
  • Disliked — The fact that I couldn't smoke in the breakfast lounge
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
cy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

I visited Florida Blue Bay hotel with my family. We really enjoyed our stay. The hotel was clean and the food was really really good. The views were breathtaking and above all, the people there were very friendly. It's a family owned hotel which has a lot to offer!!!
If you just want to relax, I totally recommend this place!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Patras
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

Very nice place but I experienced a very bad and fake discount packet. They announced in a newspaper a 99 euro offer per double room but the price was 99 euro per person while the normal price is 100 euro. So, the offer was 1 euro discount per person, 198 instead of 200 per double room. I don't really think that this is a honest offer.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2007

This was paradise. I stayed for ten days and I was very impressed. The accomodations were excellent, the meals delicious, the view breathtaking and most importantly the atmosphere was friendly. This was the best vacation I had in years. If you prefer to rest and relax, this is your holiday spot. If you prefer to be constantly entertained, this is your holiday spot. I walked to town everyday and enjoyed the interaction with the locals. I enjoyed the meals at the town restaurants. Florida Blue Bay has the best of both worlds. The staff is accommodating and friendly. The guests are diverse and quite interesting. It seems Blue Bay attracts guests from many countries of the world. I fell in love with the place. I highly recommend this unique and attractive site. Blue Bay, thank for your hospitality, I had the best experience of my life.

• Liked — Friendly atmoshpere
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Florida Blue Bay? Share your experiences!