“Fantastic Family Holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Lemnos
Southampton
“Fantastic Family Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I took my wife and two sons, both in their 20s, hoping that a Neilson Activity holiday would suit us all. Well it did and considerably exceeded my expectations.
The hotel was spotlessly clean thanks to a small army of locals who kept it that way, we paid extra for a sea view but it was worth it.
What really made the holiday was the staff. Everyone was so friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Those running the activities looked a bit young but they all knew what they were doing and were so helpful and encouraging, even to those with little talent or aptitude.
My wife was nervous about the holiday as she is not normally an active person and thought that she might get bored. This was definitely not the case and she joined in with many of the gentler activities and even the waterskiing. Sally, their fitness instructor was amazing having about 8 sessions of different sorts each day ranging from an 8 mile run to the top of a local mountain to the stretch and relax by the sea at the end of the day, with lots inbetween. Since my return my running friends have noticed how much fitter I have become - thanks Sally! My boys particularly enjoyed the sailing and windsurfing tuition, both gaining RYA qualifications. Jack and Emma got me through my basic windsurfing qualification so they must have been good! I am not a natural sailor.
I frequently get tummy upsets on foriegn holidays but everything was spotless and the food absolutely perfect for me most of the time. All of the buffet type meals had a good choice of tasty food. The full board upgrade meals were OK but a bit pub meal ish for my tastes.
The only non positive points was that the spa, although good, was UK prices and the bar was UK hotel prices. Not too much of an issue for me but my wife ran up a substantial spa bill and my boys managed a bar bill of about £800.
It was one of my best holidays ever and we want to go back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Neilson L, General Manager at Neilson Portomyrina Palace Beachclub, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Hi Fatoldbloke!! (Your label - not mine!!)

Thanks for the review of your holiday with us and taking the time to mention some of the great staff we have in resort, they will be chuffed to read this. I agree, Sally does and amazing job and I have no idea where she finds her constant enthusiasm. Good to hear the whole family got involved in the activities and made the most of everything, particularly the bar!!

Hope to see you all again in 2013.

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Greek first
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

what a great week we've just had in Lemnos. There really was very little to moan about; the weather was great, the facilities fab, and the staff great. I was really impressed in particular, by the yummy food. I certainly didn't lose weight during our week away.

The only things to be aware of are: there is no ball machine on the tennis courts. If you're really into tennis, this may be one thing that's missing. Also, our room was was one of the 'restricted view' rooms. That in itself was not a problem, but it was also above the kitchen delivery route, which meant it could be noisy at times. Other than that, a wonderful place...i will defo be going back next year !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook

Hi Caroline L

Glad you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to seeing you next year. Thanks for taking the time to write a review, much appreciated.

If you need someone to hit tennis balls at you in place of machine, I am sure one of our tennis coaches or any of the staff will be happy to oblige!!

See you in 2013.

Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The sign outside the door reckons this is a five star hotel. Sadly it isn't. The overall feel is a bit bland and characterless, and my overall impression was that this seems to be trying to carve a little bit of the Uk out in a remote greek tourist destination. The other reviewer who likened it to a middle class butlins wasn't far off the mark.

Rooms are spacious, with AC and fridge, though the beds are very firm, they're okay for the first few days but you get a bit of a bad back by the end of week two. There's a tv with a few channels should you really need it, but the signal fails more often than not. The bathrooms are okay but the water pressure was a bit feeble when it came to evening showers.
The bar prices are exorbitant (As are the dining in menu prices for the non inclusive nights). Go down to the town and buy bottles for the fridge - looking at 3.25 for a large soft drink - compared to 1.50 in a restaurant in Myrina. As a guide a litre bottle of softdrink costs 1.60 in a town supermarket.

The pool is fantastic if you're an avid swimmer, but is not warm. What really was irritating were the sunbed hoggers - off taking part in the various sports for the majority of the day, but still find time to reserve a sunbed by 9.30. There's no real excuse for it.

Heard a lot of the guests complaining that the equipment had seen better days. Did one yoga class but class was oversubscribed and the yoga instruction was not offered by a qualified yoga instructor - no checking of postures and some very strong positions for those who were novices.

Food was very samey - exactly the same offerings each night. Sadly eating out in Myrina wasn't much better, i've never experienced such poor food in Greece.

The concept of people wanting to leave the hotel seems to be an alien one - with few trips. I managed to flee to the kastro in myrina which was lovely and peaceful, as well as hiring a car around the island - an experience in itself.

Another big gripe are some of the staff and their attitudes. I was walking back from town one evening and heard a group heading towards the hotel telling one another how to get the guests to buy them drinks. Also on Thursday night which was the "Battle of the Bands" night, I was woken both weeks by them going home, shouting at the top of their voices passing guest bedrooms. it's not really considerate at 1-2am! A couple of times in the evening I didn't get a drink because the wait staff totally ignored you. Unless you were buying the 18.50 bottle of wine.

There are plenty of people who like this resort, but if you're someone who likes to explore greece, and get away from the all brits together atmosphere, then this definitely isn't the place to go. A very disappointing holiday.

Room Tip: The mainbuilding is definitely quieter but beware of being in the 130/230 bedrooms - they're rig...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Hi Hellonophile20,

Thanks for taking the time to review your holiday but sorry to hear you didnt find it lived up to your expectations.

As we are part of Neilson Active Holidays UK, we do cater mostly for UK guests, and offer a range of activities and services that we have built up over the years based on our customers feedback on what they like. I appreciate though this may not be what you may have been looking for if you wanted a smaller Greek hotel.

I am a bit surprised though about not being able to find good food in the hotel or the local town as there is a number of restaurants and tavernas around Myrina which cater for all tastes and offer some very traditional and great food, evident by the fact they are generally full with locals.

I can only apologize if some of the staff comments out of work were not appropriate and assure you this is an odd case and not by any means the norm.

Thanks again for your review
Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Initially I was apprehensive about and all-inclusive activity holiday, as I thought it maybe like a school trip with over enthusiastic people trying to get everyone involved in every activity. How wrong I was...................
The hotel was a proper modern 5 star hotel, with all that you would expect in a modern hotel. We stayed in the garden rooms, and had an amazing sea view. Food was nothing short of amazing, every dish I tried I enjoyed, if anything I may have enjoyed it too much! I did join a dingy sailing course that was very enjoyable, even though the weather was very testing on a few days, but the course continued on land, which saved getting wet. I also tried other water sports, windsurfing (first time in 17 years), kayaking & had a go at SUP Water skiing was the only sport that seemed to be booked up 2-3 days in advance, and you could only book 1 ski at time, then book next ski after you had just had a ski, my first ski was cancelled due to rough weather, so booked second one 2 days later, second ski went ahead, but 3rd ski got cancelled again, so in 1 week I only has 1, 15 minute water-ski session. On the days my skis got cancelled the weather was suitable in early evening, so could have go ahead, if ski boats/staff were available outside the set times. More flexibility please Mr Neilson.
I also tried aqua aerobics, and I wasn’t the only male in the class, its amazing what you try on holiday! I enjoyed it so much I participated 2 days running.
Staff were Fantastic - Beach, bilking, Fitness, catering, cleaning, etc.
We've never been to the same resort twice, but I would consider going again to this resort, it really was that good!
Loved it and wish I was back there!
The biggest surprise was the bar bill at end of week, very expensive drinks, and if you wish to settle with a Credit card they wanted an extra 2.5%.

Room Tip: We had a sea view room, was very peaceful, away from pool and away from hotel/resturants. With an am...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Neilson L, General Manager at Neilson Portomyrina Palace Beachclub, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Hi Trapidvisor

Thanks for writing another Tripadvisor review and rating the Portomyrina 5 stars! Much appreciated and really great to hear we exceeded your expectations!

Hope to see you again in 2013.

Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I like Neilson holidays and this is my second this year, the first at Sivota in June.

We stayed at the Porto Myrina Palace between the 8th and 16th of September.

First the good bits:

- Great sailing and very, very good beach staff. All of the beach staff were excellent, in particular Jess, Warner and James. There is a lot of different dinghies, sails and surfboards to suit all levels.
- The hotel and hotel rooms were nicely decorated and very clean, plus there was free wifi in the bar/ reception area.
- Bar and pool area were nicely done and were sheltered from any wind.
- Village of Lemnos is very nice and not spoilt by lots of tourists and teenage binge-drinkers
- Our daughter loved Surfbusters.
- Sally the fitness instructor was excellent, Zumba in particular.

The Average Bits:

- Drinks very expensive (as usual - London club prices). Duty free remember so the rest is profit!
- Stone and minimalist finish of hotel made it very loud. The hotel rooms desperately need an interior door as the noise from the corridors (especially in the morning) was loud and kept you awake.
- Pool absolutely freezing cold. The sea was much, much warmer!
- The kids club staff were good, but lacked the same enthusiasm as when in Sivota in June. Perhaps this was because it was the end of the season and they've had months of kids?

The Poor Bits:

- The food was poor. There is no way around it. Very few traditional greek dishes, lots of catering pack fruit and vegetables. The fruit salad was from a tin and the carrots looked exactly the same. I expect some unused dishes in restaurants to be re-used, but not as main dishes as happened with the pasta. Desserts consisted of greek yoghurt (nice) a few pastries and various forms of chocolate and banana mush (Angel Delight?). Eggs undercooked at breakfast time (how do you manage to get a boiled egg with a hard yolk and a watery egg white? The menu was repetitive... very repetitive. I spent most of the week eating salads and feta and some of the mains were fairly nondescript. Can't face another chip.
- The pool was too deep throughout (no shallow end), so no good for aqua aerobics. They did have a children's pool (no good for aqua aerobics either!). The pool was empty most of the time.

Overall we really enjoyed the holiday, but it was spoilt by a few crucial things, namely disturbed sleep due to noise and really poor food. The sailing and other beach activities were excellent. If you think that the kids will get a bag etc. when they start the clubs, think again. The cost cutting has started (not just with the food). Fitness activities were very good with lots of classes throughout the day.

If I was to give a rating for the activities and sailing, then it would be 5/5. But the hotel and food let it down for me and my family, hence the average score.

Hi Travellingblackberry,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us and apologies for it being a while since I could reply.

We appreciate your comments, warts and all and we are glad that overall the holiday was what you expected. Also, just to advise the food offering is something we continually review and revise based on our customers feedback and can assure you we take these comments on board.

We hope to see you again.

Hampshire, uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Just back from a wonderful week with Neilsons in Lemnos. The highlight was undoubtedly the staff who were incredibly helpful and could not do enough for us despite being almost the end of the season. As family with 2 young children (2.5 and 3.5) it was just the break that we had hoped for. The kids club was amazing; our 3 year old could not wait to go each morning and refused to come out for lunch, she didn't want to miss a thing! The Sea Urchin staff were brilliant and she really loved the sailing. Our toddler had a manny all to himself and he had such a ball swimming, out on a sea kayak, painting etc.

The activities were excellently run and kit was pretty good. Tennis instructors were patient and humorous as were the beach team.

Accommodation was really good, we were in a garden terrace right near the pool but far enough away form the bar to have no noise at all.

Food was okay and plentiful but quite school canteen like though this was not a drama. Excellent salads and good variety but some of the cooked food reminded me of boarding school. BBQ was well worth it but some nice local places in town for the other non inclusive nights to escape the resort for a bit while the kids enjoy sleep club.

Pool Bar was really good, great setting and lots of seating. There is the obligatory package holiday staged entertainment on several nights which was not our cup of tea but it wasn't over the top and so we didn't really mind too much.

Photographers were a real plus and we went over the top buying some amazing shots of the kids as well as a family photo shoot: as with everything at the resort, book early.

My one grouch was the fights - what an awful airline Thomas Cook are! My wife is 5"1' and even she felt that the leg room was poor, at 6" I was pretty uncomfortable for most of the flight. Add a toddler on your lap and it was quite ridiculous. After spending several thousand overall on the holiday I would gladly have spent a little more to avoid the hell of the flight. Neilsons should really look at other options.

All in all though, despite some poor weather, we had an amazing time and will be holidaying with Neilsons again next year.

Room Tip: Garden Rooms are great though some are very near the bar and the music can be distracting
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Neilson L, General Manager at Neilson Portomyrina Palace Beachclub, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Hi Zimbo,

Thanks for your great review and particularly the lovely comments about our team in resort.

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Many thanks
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Perfect trip for our teenage family (17 and 14 yrs), as there was as much or as little as you wanted. Full timetable of water sports or land based activities for parents and children. Fantastic staff - sailing, tennis, bilking, aerobics, catering, cleaning, etc..
Loved it and wish I was back there!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook

Hi Katen3418,

Great to hear the family had a wonderful stay at the Portomyrina and you found the team great.

Hope to see you soon.

GM

Been to Neilson Portomyrina Palace Beachclub? Share your experiences!