“Friendly Family run Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Taxiarchis Hotel Apartments
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   856 00, Greece   |
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Symi
Windermere
“Friendly Family run Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Franco the owner & his family have a lovely small hotel & apartments. With his wife & daughter they make you most welcome. Our room with an upstairs bedroom was spotless, excellent bathroom & kitchen facilities. The view from the terrace was spectacular. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Greek first
Farnborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Standard spacious studios made special by views down to Pedi Bay, WI FI, but particularly by attention of Frank and his family. Anything wrong Frank will fix it immediately and wife/daughters keep the studios immaculately clean and tidy - the best we have ever known. We'll be back!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Aarhus, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We enjoyed very much our stay at Taxiarchis at the end of March 2013.
Very nice and clean apartment. Towels changed every day. Breathtaking view from the veranda and the porch. But most of all very friendly and warm people taking care of us and our needs.
Anne and Bo, Denmark

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

There's nothing really wrong with this hotel. Do not expect to see any modern new-ish furniture or matched sets of plates, or a bathroom that might be up to standards higher than "basic".
This didn't really matter for me though, because what you can expect is: cleanliness and a warm welcome from the staff. As was mentioned in other reviews, Frank will pick you up from the ferry (do call beforehand with your arrival time) and drive you through the excitingly snaking streets up to the village that leans against the slopes above the harbor.

Breakfast, though not skimpy, is simple. If I can mention a single letdown it was the lack of a freshly made pot of coffee (you're served sachets of instant-coffe instead), and the juice was some concentrated drink from the supermarket. If Taxiarchis addresses these two little details, it would be absolutely perfect (for me).

Other than that as I mentioned, the staff went out of their way to make sure I had a comfortable stay. I was even surprised by the occasional steaming plate of home-cooked food waiting for me in my room after coming back from another day of beaching on beautiful Symi. What else can you really ask for?

Simple, decent, clean, honest and totally the Greek way. This hotel is for you if you like an easy-going place (Roula, Frank & family are lovely people) and if you don't worry too much about having luxuries. It's for those who don't fret about stumbling their way back late at night, trying to find Taxiarchis somewhere in the labyrinth that is Chorio. Excellent place!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Big room, glorious views, clean sheets and towels every day, cooking facilities and a view worth a million euros! Frank collects and delivers you and your luggage from the harbour. He and his wife Eva are friendly and forever kind and helpful.
Fabulous place to stay so we're going back for a whole month next year!!

Room Tip: Just ask for a room with a view...you'll be spiilt for choice!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Salvador, BA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is my first time in Symi but I have already been to hilly islands like Santorini before. I booked this hotel through Booking.com for 78 Euros for one night. I thought I was making a splurge and having something special. On the website they are not clear at all about how much of an effort it is to get here. I know most hotels are in the hills, but this property should be very clear about its location. Besides that, there was no e-mail informed in the reservation, just a telephone number, and I don't have a cell phone on me in this trip. I sent a message through the hotel's website, telling what time i should arrive at The port, but there was nobody there went I got here. Hopefully I asked about taxis in a small Supermarket near the port and they called the hotel, and we were picked up. They said they had been looking for me all day, which I doubt. Besides that, the room I was given (14) had a Nice view of Pedi Beach but the bathroom is the smallest of all the small bathrooms I had in this trip. There's no support for the shower, so you have one hand to handle the soap, which is very uncounfortable.
To worst things out, they say there're closed from 12 until 5 pm and since I'll be going around the island, and my ferry leaves at 5pm, they will leave my luggage at the ferry company, which I had to agree even though I think it is very unsafe.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Taxiarchis Aparments is a great alternative to stay in Symi. Its like 15 min. walk to the center. The hosts Frank and his wife Eva were so friendly. Frank took us from the port and brought to his place. If you have a chance to stay at room number 24-25-26-27, you will have breath taking view to Pedi Bay. On the other hand, You wont have a Wifi connection.

The breakfast is nothing special but ok. The rooms were old fashioned but quite spacious and comfortable. Overall, Highly recommended to all travellers.

Room Tip: room number 24-27 (perfect view)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Taxiarchis Hotel Apartments? Share your experiences!