“My favourite restaurant on Symi” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“My favourite restaurant on Symi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Every year for the past three years, I have had the pleasure of spending two to three weeks on the island of Symi. Over that time, I have sampled many restaurants, but I always want to come back to the Windmill. The place itself is charming, the service is very friendly and efficient, but the main draw is the food. With an emphasis on local ingredients and culinary traditions, but a sense of adventure and curiosity, the chef explores and expands on flavour and texture profiles that exemplify the best of Greek cuisine. My very favourite is the hot octopus salad, with flavour-intensified marinated octopus cooked to perfection and strewn over a crisp cabbage salad, it hits all of my sweet spots for taste and crunch. I also love the sausage with lentils with its Lyons influenced lentil stew base and nice little chunks of spicy sausage. When I am away from this beautiful little island and I think of good food, I always picture the little courtyard by the Windmill.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

97% Recommend
  • Greek first
Vancouver
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

For the third year in a row, I had several meals at The Windmill Restaurant this past June. The chef-owners, Rhiannon and Michaelis, are keen on all things culinary. Rhiannon is a creative chef, with a passion for doing as much local sourcing of ingredients as she possibly can. She does modern takes on traditional Greek dishes, as well as other cuisines that interest her. The wines, the food, the ambience are all excellent. We are already looking forward to next year!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
perevilain
“Imaginative and creative cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I had walked past this place many time and not been. Mistake!! This year we were staying nearby and being really tired went there on our first night. It turned out to be the first of many visits and the first if many gastronomic treats!
You must try the warm olives - the grilled feta with herbs - and just about anything really!
It is also worth saying that my partner is a veggie and just loved eating here - a great choice.
Service can be slow - but who cares when the food is so amazing !!

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Preston, Lancashire
“Impressive Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

I took my greatest Greek friend, his wife and another Greek person here for a meal. Very impressive choice, excellent food and well presented with very friendly service. I'd recommend The Windmill to anyone. Be sure to book a table to avoid disappointment!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
North East
“Windmill - Great food & service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

Had some great food at the Windmill.
Thanks to owners for good service.
Try to eat here at least once - you shouldn't be disappointed!
Look forward to returning some time another year.