“Volcano visit” 5 of 5 stars

israel
10 attraction reviews
“Volcano visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

For the boat trip across the bay to the island of Nea Kameni – the Volcano you better be in great shape and wear good shoes.
We took the day trip by boat that included the Volcano, hot springs and a visit to Thirasia in one day. The Volcano climb was not easy and when I saw older people I wondered about the potential for heart attacks – no kidding.
We did the climb in the middle of the day and it was a challenge. I am a walker and even for me it was touchy in places. I did get up there but not without a real effort, lots of water and a few breaks on the way.
Was it worth climbing all the way up? The view was great but as far as volcanos go it was not that exciting.

Visited August 2013

• Greek first
New York
23 attraction reviews
“Like Hiking Another Planet...Must-Do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Hiking this active volcano was one of my favorite parts of Greece! It's a must-do! The unique landscape with caters, colorful rocks, and interesting plant-life make you feel like you're walking on another planet. There are active sulfur vents where you can see smoke and smell sulfur, as well as seismometers to measure the motions of the ground. The views of Santorini and the Aegean Sea are awe-inspiring too!

Visited August 2013
Attard, Malta
8 attraction reviews
“Book a cruise to see the volcano and hot springs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Booked a cruise with Caldera Boats Santorini Sea Excursions, they took us to see the volcano and also to the hot springs. We walked on the volcano and swam at the hot springs, the cruise was well organized and we had a great time!

Visited July 2013
Bebington, United Kingdom
“Dakoutros Bros good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Dakoutros Bros trip to Nea Kameni cost me €19 which in my opinion was great value for money (it cost me more getting from the airport to Imerovigli - about 10km - in a taxi)
We had a guide whose name unfortunately escapes me but he was very passionate and informative of the history. Following the volcano we had a short swim in the hot springs (don't wear your expensive or white swimsuit, the iron in the water causes it to go red) after our swim we went to Therassia for lunch, the tour continued to Oia where you could disembark if you wish and then back to Fira. Duration about 5 or 6 hours.

Visited June 2013
San Diego
“Do Not Book With Dakoutros Brothers”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife and I visited the volcano, having taken a Dakoutros Brothers boat and guide. First of all, we share the opinion expressed by many other reviewers here that a visit to the volcano is not much. The view from Santorini is spectacular, but being on the volcano itself is simply not worth the trip. On top of that, the Dakoutros Brothers trip is a rip - the guide lied to us about departure back to Fira, causing us to totally waste a half hour, when the tour was barely over two hours to begin with. The guide also gave us no directions back to the boat and could care less that we took a wrong turn and had to rush back to the boat only to find that it wasn’t due in for another half hour. The guide was, in fact, obnoxious. The worst was later when we tried to complain to the owner. He wasn't there, but the son was. He was pleasant, but clearly he couldn't care less either. If you really want to see the volcano, take a water taxi or another tour boat, do not take Dakoutros!

Visited June 2013