“Thanks for Mr Koutsoyannopoulos” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #38 of 126 things to do in Santorini
More attraction details
Owner description: The only natural underground wine museum in all over Greece located on the premises of Koutsoyannopoulos winery.
Liberec, Liberecky Kraj, Czech Republic
“Thanks for Mr Koutsoyannopoulos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The museum is fantastic! We bought a wine of the best hundreds wine in the wold for nice price. Staff was helpful. Thank you very much for beautiful expirience.

Visited September 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London
5 attraction reviews
“Great wine tasting experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Definitely worth visiting local wineries – bear in mind that these are not traditional wineries that one is used to from France, Aus. The wine is tiny and grows very close to the ground so you don’t see big lush vinjards but still worth the experience. The local Santorinian wine is lovely. (very good - Volcan Wines Museum & Winery)

Visited July 2012
Thessaloniki
4 attraction reviews
“Possible Fraud?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We visited The Koutsoyiannopoulos winery to watch the Ross Daily concert in August and we bought a bottle of Assyrtiko wine. As you can see on the photos the bottle had a sticker on it verifying that the wine received an exceptional score 91 at the wine spectator competition of 2009. What is misleading is that the wine was produced two years later in 2011. It is obvious that the sticker does not refer to the wine we bought. Please Volcan wines spare us the empty excuses like, "it is the same recipe every year" because such an argument simply does not stand at wine making. I am sure that you are aware how terroir and weather conditions, as well as other factors at the wine making process affect the quality of the wine every year. After all it is your job to know such trivial things. Be reassured that we can very well appreciate how important is to be on the wine spectator top 100. Your wine of 2009 was good, your wine of 2011 was not. Either try to meet up the hard competition of wineries in Santorini or drop out of the market. But never treat customers as ignorants.

Visited August 2012
Midlands
39 attraction reviews
“Museum and caves”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Great for a day out it takes you through caves and shows you how Santorini Wine is made from the start with the grapes being planted. After you have a Wine tasting of 4 wines one white one red and two dessert. the only thing we found was it would of been nice to be asked which wines you would like to taste rather than be given something you would not drink.

Visited September 2012
Panama City Beach, Florida
12 attraction reviews
“Unique Process Yields Superior Wine and Winery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Volcan Winery was our first stop after landing at the airport and I thought at first that it was an odd choice. By the end of our several hour stay there, they had completely won me over.

First off, the grapes on Santorini are grown and harvested in a different fashion than those traditionally done around the world. Due to the unique geothermal qualities that formed the island itself, the roots of each vine have had a long journey into the ground to find their sources of food and water. The high winds with tiny pieces of lava rock that sometimes come through bruises the grapes and tears the leaves if left hanging on the vines in a traditional way, so these established vines are kept on the ground surrounded by baskets which protect them from the wind but also help them to retain the morning dew as well as aid in their harvesting of the grapes.

The wine museum documents the development of this process with many full-scaled vignettes found in the cool, winding tunnels of the underground museum. I saw great pride in the sharing of this amazing history that turned adversity to their advantage by creatively confronting perceived problems into a unique process that reveals superior quality wine.

Our group was served an amazing buffet lunch followed by wine tasting for the adults and grape stomping for those under-aged companions. Truly amazing wines, especially surprising were the two desert wines we sampled. I am not much for desert wines, but these two, coupled with the right desert match they provided, we're absolutely heavenly!! I could not pick a favorite, I wanted them all! I brought home with me all the info needed to order them and have them shipped to me in the states. My only regret was the lack of space in my luggage!!

We all tried the grape stomping, channeling our best Lucy and Ethel, without the mess. It was such fun and easy-peasy clean up after. Unfortunately I did not have time to take the audio tour of the museum, but do a quick walk through enough to know there was much more to explore. Alas, I would have been left by the group I was traveling with, so no detailed tour of the museum for me.

I loved the afternoon spent there and will enjoy the memories and their wines for years to come!

A funny aside: I met a shop owner in Oia and I complained about having a long name to write out. He said, "Bah, your name is not long. My friend's name is much longer than yours. In school, when he misbehaved once, the teacher made him write his name a hundred times! He did not misbehave much after that!". Then he pulled out a pamphlet of the Volcan Winery and pointed to it's owner's name, George Koutsoyannopoulos of the Koutsoyannopoulos Winery and Wine Museum, the proper name of the Volcan Winery. Gotta love it.

Visited August 2012