“I Heart La Stella” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“I Heart La Stella”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Myself and a friend have just returned from 6 x nights at La Stella. It truly is an excellent hotel and exceeded my expectations - a definite recommendation.

The hotel is clean, modern and a perfect size. We stayed in room 208 and found it to be the perfect size. It was great to have the kitchenette for water and lunch ingredients and the bathroom although small has a fantastic shower. The beds were so comfortable that we couldn't resist an afternoon nap each day. We also enjoyed sitting on our balcony each evening watching the sunset before getting ready to go out.

Artur really made our stay memorable with his wonderful hospitality and refreshing cocktails. Not only is he the face of La Stella he was also a great person to know outside of the hotel - always checking on us on nights out in Skypark and making sure that we were ok.

The pool at La Stella provided a great chill out area for late afternoons when you want to relax on a lilo and listen to chilled music.

I will most certainly return to La Stella, in fact I can't wait!

One little tip - if arriving late and arranging for the key to be left out, also ask for the aircon remote. We had a very hot and sticky first night at the hotel before we could get the remote in the morning!

Other recommendations in the area:

The Baja Beach Club is really worth a visit and only a 10 minute walk along the beach from La Stella. Free sun loungers and use of their pool. Brilliant atmosphere and always busy. Volley ball courts etc and the food was amazing. A really large fresh salad for 6 euros. Great place to spend the day. It gets particularly busy from about 3pm onwards when all the locals finish work. Fascinating people watching!

Skypark - At first you will think of this place as the pits but you will grow to love it! Open until 5am and the only place where you will find dancing in town. Very fun!

For dinner we preferred to go to Rethymno, its only a 10 minute bus ride and the old city is beautiful. We enjoyed wandering in the narrow streets finding tiny family run tavernas.Two of our favorites were Taverna Marias and Taverna Loggia. You'll have to find them in the maze though! For a more formal meal Taverna Melina has beautiful views of the old city (it's up on the hill by the fort), the hospitality is so generous that we had to hide some food in our handbag because it just just kept coming!!

If visiting this area of Crete La Stella is absolutely the place to stay.

Room Tip: Room 208 had a lovely view of the sunset and overlooked the pool! It was perfect.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I decided to reward myself with a hard earned holiday in the sun as I have not done this since 2002. This holiday therefore needed to be special in many ways and provide me with a complete relaxation. Until now I have visited 9 other Greek islands on an island-hopping trip 11 years ago. I therefore started this trip with quite a few assumptions in mind with reference to these memories of 'other' Greek islands. La Stella certainly met my expectations and enabled me to have a 'special' kind of holiday. I now wish I was still there and had booked for 14 nights instead of seven!

Here is a brief description of my experience to assist anyone who might want to hear comments from others before committing to the 'book' button. It is important that I tell you at this stage that I am a perfectionist by nature and I am not easily pleased.

Firstly, I think it is worth mention that booking your holiday on the La Stella website is quick, easy and hassle-free.

Secondly, this is a family run business and the owner - Giorgos has a great command of the English language and carries out business promptly and with great professionalism. This is a lovely small apartment complex which really appealed to me as I prefer to be around less people when I relax and I am a big believer in 'less is more'. This place is about quality not quantity and getting to know your guests and make them feel at home. On this subject this leads me to comment on Artur who runs the bar in the evening. Artur makes the effort to get to know each guest and has a warm friendly personality, more importantly he makes great cocktails and speaks very good English, of course an added bonus!

With La Stella, what you see is what you get. Check the photos online, the camera does not lie on this occasion at all. This small apartment complex is modern and stylish and provides a very relaxing pool, breakfast and bar area. I also feel the need to say that every single morning I found it difficult to get out of bed because the beds are extremely comfortable.

During my stay at La Stella I also made a few accurate observations on the clientele. There appears to be a lovely blend of families and couples or small parties. I was very pleased to not see large groups and am pleased that La Stella attracts a nice class of people. The size and layout of the apartments makes it a great attraction to families with young children where they can be close together by the pool, a very safe environment.

I opted for the airport transfer service that La Stella provide and this gets 10/10. On each journey we were promptly attended to by a polite smartly dressed driver with a friendly and professional approach.

I enjoyed a lot of local cuisine within Platanes/Platanias and I also highly recommend Erolfili restaurant which is situated in the old town of Rethymnon. The food is excellent and the environment is very beautiful, relaxing and romantic. Staff are attentive and very pleasant. Giorgos has handy business cards for this restaurant available at reception should you wish to try it.

I hope that La Stella keep doing what they do well and I would certainly return in the future to take in and enjoy this lovely place again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I've just returned from a week's stay at La Stella and like everyone else on here, I cannot praise it highly enough.
My friend and I spent 6 nights here to get away from the hecticness of the Olympics and everything was perfect. The hotel is brand new and very chic, it has all of the amenities you would expect and more. The beds are exceptionally comfortable which is often unusual for a hotel and the rooms are spacious. There was a good selection of breakfast stuffs and the few nights we slept in from too much raki (whoops) the staff still gave us tea, coffee and basic breakfast so that we could enjoy it at the bar. Not that it mattered seeing as there is a very handy Lidl a 2 minute walk away!
Big shout out to Artur and Orshia who are absolute legends. We had several fun nights with them!
The town of Platanias itself has everything you could want from a holiday- a large selection of places to eat, lots of supermarkets, a 5 minute walk to the beach and a direct bus to Rethymno for 1.20Euro. We ate out in the city a couple of times as the food was better value and the city comes alive after 8pm. It's very beautiful and definitely worth the short bus ride. Another great find was Baja Beach Bar which we went to most days. Definitely a great place to spot the beautiful Greeks!
All in all, the perfect break and home away from home. We were very sad to leave but will most definitely be back again in the near future. A great little find in a great spot.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Newport, Gwent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We have just returned from a week's stay at the La Stella Hotel and we had a brilliant time. It looked too good to be true on the website and from reviews so we didn't get our hopes up but we saw as soon as we arrived that it was just as amazing as in the photos. The hotel itself is beautiful, very modern with a lovely bar and seating area next to the pool, the staff are mostly very friendly and the famous Artur makes the most amazing cocktails, I recommend 'The Special', it tastes amazing! The room is exactly what you need for the stay, spacious with a comfortable bed, usable kitchen area and nice balcony. You do have to pay five euros a night for air-con, which we would strongly advise as we tried to sleep without it for the first night and suffered for it! Breakfast is very basic but fine for what you pay.

As other reviews have said, there is a Lidl two minutes away which we found useful to buy supplies to make snacks for the middle of the day on our trips to the beach etc. The strip of bars and taverna's are brilliant! We ate out every night and did not have a bad experience anywhere, all the staff are so friendly and cheerful and will give you Ouzo or Raki at any given opportunity! We loved going to 'Bar Akropolois', the food was very good and there was a lovely seating area to have cocktails. During the time we were there (24th July - 1st August), they had a discount card available where the discount went up the more you visited during your stay which was really good.

I'm not one to usually write anything bad in reviews, however, an incident on our last day could have been easily avoided. On our second day at La Stella, we spoke to the manager about booking a room for our last day as we had to check out at 11 AM but were not being picked up until 1:30 AM the next day. We were told by the manager not to worry about booking a room, that there would be one available for us to use for a couple of hours to shower and change, due to him insisting, we did nothing about it. Low and behold, as we checked out on our last day, the manager acted as if he knew nothing about it and said the rooms were all fully booked. We had no room from 11 AM until 1:30 AM the next day. We were angry as the manager did not even apologise and was anything but sympathetic, we were later told that we should have booked a later check-out time, however we were not told about this at any time during booking so we would strongly advise if you have a late leaving time to book a 'later check-out time' or be prepared to go to another hotel! Thankfully for us, a hotel down the road opposite to Lidl's allowed us to use a room for as long as we needed for 20 euros, this was really kind of them given the extremely short notice.

Overall, we had an amazing time at the hotel and we would definitely stay again but with an earlier flight leaving or ask for the secret late check out! ;)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view, it's gorgeous!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Not long back from a perfect week holiday in Crete made all the better by staying here. I can't recommend La Stella highly enough. The room was very clean with good aircon, fridge, safe, balcony etc. Everything you need in an apartment. The pool/bar area is lovely and the whole place is very relaxing. Artur who works behind the bar (and everywhere else he is needed) is an excellent host and cannot do enough for the guests. Myself and my girlfriend had a great laugh with him and enjoyed sitting down at the bar trying his cocktails and the occasional shot of Raki! All the staff and the owner were very polite and helped us out with any questions we had etc

The beach is a short walk from the hotel and has Tavernas along the whole stretch all the way to Rethmynon.The hotel is only 2 minutes from a Lidl if you want to fill the fridge with beer and centre of the town of Platanes is only a couple of minutes walk where there are a few brilliant restaurants with very generous portions and excellent food. The Sky Park bar is open til 5am and was busy most nights. The town of Rethmynon is 4km away but we walked this a few times along the beach. There are loads of restaurants and shops etc here and is a lovely wee place to go for a wander and some beer.

Wish we had stayed another week before coming back to the rain in Scotland but we will definitely be back to La Stella. S&K

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Recently home after spending two sun filled weeks at La Stella..... ;0)
Loved the quirkiness of the hotel, our room was great, the pool area is relaxed and the bar is perfect....
It's situated just a street back from the main strip, and walking distance to the beach... there is some road noise, but if you have air'con and the door shut, you don't hear it- or a few cocktails and you won't anyway.......!

The overall experience was really good.... if you have any issues - you only need to mention them and they are put right immediately, which is all you can ask for....
If you like large impersonal hotels, La Stella won't be for you.... if you like a lovely, chilled, relaxed place, in the spirit of Greece, it will be just right.... ;0)

And, last, but certainly not least..... the best 'thing' about the place is Artur! We spent as much time at the bar annoying him as we did in the sun, and the banter was great! He makes a mean cocktail, and we sampled a fair few during our stay..... He is really the 'face' of La Stella, he is polite, friendly and upbeat, he is Georges' right hand man and is sooooo much more than the barman...anything we mentioned in passing was noted, and sorted..... and we have to thank him for the salty snacks.... ;0)

All in all, a fab place to stay - you won't be disappointed.... K&C

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here to get married in June 2012 and had approx 30 of my guests staying here with us aswell. we all had the most fantastic time both lounging around the pool in an afternoon drinking beer and cocktails and then walking down to platanes a very short walk down the road, to eat and drink some more. The hotel itself is small and very cosy, perfect for all our guests to mingle and enjoy the great weather. Giorgios the owner is always about and very friendly and is willing to do whatever it takes for you to have a good time. Artur is the hardest working barman I have ever seen and Maria also although a but quieter works extremely hard. We are actually Facebook friends with all of them and will be back one day. We had the main suite being our wedding and couldn't be more happier with the size and niceness of it. We saw our guest rooms studios and apartments also and they were equally nice. The pool is decent size and clean. Can't fault the hotel one bit. The breakfast is small but you can walk down to the town or to LIDL which is 100 yards away. In the town Vergina or Marem are the places to eat and you won't be dissapointed with the hospitality and size of portions. For a bit more life the eyes bar is the place to be, karaoke some nights and gareth the owner (now Facebook friend) and the staff will look after you. A 5 min taxi into chania the main town, we didn't really go down as everything is available in the local town. Amazing holiday and apartments. Can't wait to go back!

Stayed June 2012

Been to La Stella Hotel Apartments & Suites? Share your experiences!