“The hotel which doesn't meet the expectations” 3 of 5 stars

Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Missiria, Rethymnon, Crete 74100, Greece   |
Ranked #20 of 141 hotels in Rethymnon
Moscow
“The hotel which doesn't meet the expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The hotel and our stay would be much better, but... We are facing the problems with the room. I carefully selected the hotel and the room type for the vacation with 2 kids. Finally I chose Deluxe Family Bungalow in Creta Palace. The Grecotel brochure (2013) issued in Russian, as well as their official Internet site, promised a spacious bungalow with some features which I liked, such as a large terrace or veranda furnished for 4 persons, the master bedroom with living room, and the colorful kid's room. Those three criteria were not met.
I contacted the reception firstly upon the arrival with the request to change the bungalow as I preferred it on the ground floor. They didn't have anything available, O.K., I understand that.
In a day I contacted the manager and explained that the bungalow I had didn't meet the expectations and Grecotel promises. I was politely explained that the hotel was fully booked, but they'll try to find the replacement. I was shown another bungalow which had a nicer children room and a larger master room, but still lacked a promised veranda for 4 people. Besides, the view was not nice at all, so I decided not to change my room for it.
Now we've been moved to the main hotel building to two connected rooms. One of them has sea view, another has a wall in front of the window. The rooms are not bad, recently renovated, though the doors are really odd and old, with the holes, so the room has very poor sound protection from inside.
To sum it up, I'm really disappointed with the attitude of the hotel management to the guests - why do you give the promises you can't keep? That's not normal at all to cheat the clients....
You usually don't expect such things from well-known 5-star hotels. That's really a pity.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Maria_Mos,

my name is Giorgos Skoulaxinos, I am the General Manager of Grecotel Creta Palace.

We are very sorry that from the first moment on we did not manage to satisfy you with the room category you had chosen and it took some time until you were accommodated in a room close to your wishes.

Actually we are not giving promises we are not able to keep.
The room categories are according to the descriptions of our brochures, but of course there can be small differences from room to room.
That is the reason why in all brochures is stated: “All accommodation plans and photos are examples, they may vary and are depending upon the location. All sizes are approximately”.

As you mentioned by yourself, the Front Office Manager gave you some room alternatives, but for your own personal reasons the location did not meet with your preferences.
When the hotel is fully booked – as stated by yourself – the alternatives get less.

I’m still very sorry that we did not manage to satisfy you with the room, but I hope that the personal attention you had from our Front Office Manager and Rooms Division Manager
during your holidays indicates that the team of Creta Palace do care for its customers.

However, we hope you enjoyed hospitality, service and friendliness of the staff, which represent our hotel.

I would really like to give you my personal attention next time if you decide to spend your holidays again at the Creta Palace, allocating you in a room which meets 100% with your expectations. In this case please do not hesitate to contact me in advance at my email gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr.

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Very nice and luxurious hotel. Very friendly and professional staff being available when you want them to.
Beach was very nice and warm, the sea was nice.
The small houses were nice enough, although the cooling wasnt good enough for a viking used to snow.
The breakfast was _fantastic_, never seen so much food in one place!
Loved it, and would travel again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear espenfjo,

My name is Giorgos Skoulaxinos, I am the General Manager of Grecotel Creta Palace.

Thank you very much for your feedback on Tripadvisor.
I am very glad that you enjoyed your holidays at our hotel and thank you for your positive comments concerning the professional staff, the hotel’s beach and the variety of our breakfast buffet in the main restaurant, which is for us the most important meal of the day.
I’m sure that you tasted the products of the Cretan Corner with its big variety of authentic Cretan specialties.

Hoping to have the opportunity to welcome you back at our hotel, please feel free to contact me at my personal email address gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr, in order to take personally care of your holidays.

Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Not bad, nothing to complain about, with 300 odd rooms it's not so intimate but the upside is that there is a certain infrastructure and good staffing levels. The hotel is in good condition and well looked after, the room had two bathrooms in very good condition and two rooms with a balcony overlooking the edge of the garden and the plot. Sleep was good and it was quiet. The beach although not of the finest golden quality was more than good enough with ample sun beds and shade available. Going into the sea is helped if you have some beach shoes since in parts a little stony. Food copious and reasonably varied ( Breakfast & evening buffets), just need self control to not over indulge. You can dine outside in the quadrangle, but may have to wait a couple of minutes to be seated, otherwise inside is no problem. Beach bar also fine and not excessively priced. We rented a car from the Budget outlet opposite the hotel on the main road (€135 all in for 3 days), perfect no problems, couldn't have been simpler. Driving easy and roads good enough. All i all a good experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear CecilGgibley,

my name is Giorgos Skoulaxinos, I’m the General Manager of Grecotel Creta Palace.

Thank you very much for your feedback on Tripadvisor.
I am very glad that you and your family enjoyed your holidays at our hotel and thank you for your positive comments concerning the staff, the hotel’s beach and the variety of breakfast and dinner buffet in the main restaurant.

Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Perfectly situated in a mid of north of Crete, nice beaches, close to Rethymnon and its cosy old town, good service, nice facilities. In September still crowded and already windy on a beach. Personnel is professionally managed and speaks all main EU languages plus russian.

Room Tip: Garden view ensures silence and comfort.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear PeterS3592,

Thank you very much for your feedback on Tripadvisor and your positive comments
concerning the service, the facilities and the personnel.

Creta Palace is located almost in the middle of north Crete, a very good starting point for all our guests to explore both parts of the islands, east and west.

Thanking you once again for your kind comments, please do not hesitate to contact me at my email address gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr, in case you would like to spend your next year’s holidays once again with us.

Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We recently celebrated our wedding on the premises of the hotel and we enjoyed every moment of it. The staff of the hotel was very helpful organizing our special day and they provided us lovely inspirations for the arrangements of our wedding. We are very pleased with the professional organization of the event and our guests were amazed by the outstanding service as well as by the delicious wedding dinner the hotel prepared for us. It was a great beginning of a new chapter in our lives! We also enjoyed 5 days at the hotel before our wedding: the breakfast is just amazing and worth any stay, the hotel has great views of sunset, sunrise while it is located in an quiet and less touristic area of Rethymnon. Next time we will go just for vacations!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ana_and_Rob,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback on Tripadvisor and once again congratulations on your marriage!

I am very happy to read that you and your guests enjoyed your wedding at our hotel,
mention the professional organization and the service of your most special day.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back at our hotel and assure you that every effort will be made to make your stay with us most pleasant and enjoyable.

Please contact me in advance at my email address gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr in order to take personally care of your stay.

Once again all the best for you both, from my staff and me personally.

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

The hotel is a 5km bus or taxi from Rithymnon which is a benefit to avoid the crowds
The downside is it is not cheap (50% premium on drinks & food vs the town)
Service was excellent in all bars & restaurants and beach is good ( sand and a few pebbles)
Gym is ok, tennis courts & golf practice area
Overall a great holiday. Majority of guests were Russian & German but prices made for better behaved guests than other places we have stayed
Staff very welcoming and bags of fresh produce for breakfast
Taxis arrive in about 3 mins and it is 10 mins to the old town

• Stayed September 2012
Dear spanysim,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a feedback on Tripadvisor.

I highly appreciate that you enjoyed your holidays at our hotel and mention the good service, the friendliness of the staff and the location of the hotel.

Rethymno is a city that caters to the needs of the visitor. There are a lot of places to visit, many old sights to see dating from the 16th century, such as arched doorways, stone staircases, Byzantine and Hellenic-Roman remains, the small Venetian harbour and narrow streets.
Also, in Rethymno many culture events are taking place every year, like the Summer Arts Festival, the Wine Festival in the Municipality Garden, the Cretan Diet Festival, the Renaissance Festival and the Carnival, which is the biggest in the island of Crete.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in Rethymno and at the Creta Palace, please do not hesitate to contact me in advance at my email address gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr to personally arrange your stay with us.

Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Clean and comfortable hotel which offers a lot of activities for kids. Grecoland team members speak 4 languages if not more.
Great food.
Very attentive and friendly staff.
minimarket is there which is a big plus

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Giorgos S, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Nat34,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor, which are very valuable for us.

I appreciate that you and your children enjoyed the Grecoland Mini Club,
where we offer a lot of activities for our little guests, such as cooking lessons, solar oven, bio garden, sun-junk-soil, evening star gazing with the telescope and a lot of other games.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me in advance at my email address gskoulaxinos@grecotel.gr in order to arrange your holidays with us.

Giorgos Skoulaxinos

Been to Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!