“Excellent hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 171 Hotels in Rethymnon
Antwerp, Belgium
“Excellent hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We stayed in the hotel from 28/9 till 7/10/2011, and found this a very good hotel, except for some minor issues.
Exellent:
- buffets and foodquality
- helpfullness and kindness of the staff (especially Irini, the hostess at the restaurant)
- tasty corner for the kids (but it would be nice if there was also a possibility to eat outside with the kids during lunchtime)
- family maisonette with two floors and two bathrooms
- setting and location
- cleanliness
- it is a very beautiful hotel, very well managed.

Needs some improvement:
- the swimming pools. The water is much too cold, and it is very sad that children cannot use any toys, matresses or balls in the main swimming pool. Also the main swimming pool does not have an area where the children can stand up, I believe that the most undeep part is still 1,40 m.. When you have a little child with you, you have to go to the children's swimming pool, which is far away and where it is not very nice to sit. So you go there to swim and then leave. Also the water in the children's pool is too cold.
Also the swimming pools look a littlebit "old". It seems as if they were forgotten to renovate them in 2009.
- The prices of the drinks and food outside the restaurant are very, very expensive.
- It would be nice if there would be a hotel shuttle to Rethymnon.
- The matrasses on the beds are much too hard! I have a back problem, but also my partner, who doesn't have problems with his back, stood up every morning with pain in his back.

The hotel is excellent, but the swimming pools are definitely an obstacle for me to come back. If the swimming pools would improve, I would definately come back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
dmk, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Dear avg72,

My name is Dimitris M. Kalaitzidakis and I’m the General Manager of Grecotel Creta Palace.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Grecotel Creta Palace, especially your positive comments concerning the friendliness of my colleagues, the food quality and the high accommodation standards.

Obviously, you enjoyed your vacation at our hotel having experienced the typical “Creta Palace Style” attitude – the professionalism and the authentic Cretan hospitality.

Concerning the pool I would like to inform you that we have to respect other guests willing to use the pool for swimming.
Children are more than welcomed to use the children’s pool by the Grecoland (150 m).
The water there is only 50 – 84 cm deep and we even provide a paddle pool for the youngest.

In the beginning and at the end of the season we provide a heated indoor pool with sweet water, which our guests are more than happy to use.

We appreciate taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor, a very useful tool for both, the guests and the hotel.
Please rest assured that all feedbacks are taken under careful consideration.

For anything you may require please do not hesitate to contact me at my personal email address dmk@grecotel.gr

Dimitris M. Kalaitzidakis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Kaiserslautern, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

Not a 5 star hotel as described, but a definite 3+. My husband and I stayed for 10 days in June 2011. The hotel staff was fantastic...very friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet was very good. Evening entertainment was very entertaining. But the room wasn't what I expected for the price. Lots of Russian families, which is ok unless you like loud, disrespectful kids. The spa treatment (couples massage) was most disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for the rennovated part of the building...I think we were in the "old" section.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear chigirl96,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of Grecotel Creta Palace, especially your positive comments concerning the friendliness of my colleagues, the food and the entertainment.

I was really surprised to read that you did not enjoy your spa treatment, as all our clients are very impressed and satisfied with the treatments provided from our professional colleagues.
Please allow me to add a few words about our Elixir Beauty Spa. Within an area of 2.000 m2 we offer Anne Semonin facial and body treatments, Ayurveda treatments and a retail shop.
For both, Classic and Ayurveda, professional staff is at your disposal to meet your therapeutic needs.
Also available at the Elixir Beauty Spa are luxurious indoor pool with whirlpool, Jacuzzi, Sauna and Fitness Studio (free of charge).

Please note that Grecotel Creta Palace is a cosmopolitan hotel with international clientele; Russians correspond only to a 30%, German speaking clients to a 35% of the total guest mix, the other guests come from Belgium, Italy, France, England,…

For any reason not liking the room allocated to you we had all the pleasure to show other accommodations and to change you to another room of your liking.

I’m very sorry to say that guests reading all other reviews may make up their own evaluation about the standard of the hotel.

Thanking you once again for your comments, please do not hesitate to contact me at my personal email dmk@grecotel.gr in case you would like to spend your holidays at the Grecotel Creta Palace in the future, in order to take care of your room.

SANKT-PETERSBURG
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I would tell that it pulls on 3 stars!!!!
In hotel one Russian!!!
Territory very small and ordinary-looking
Pool very old-usual
The personnel the rough-not affable!!
Bungalows small don't correspond to the price!!!
BED-SHEETS DIRTY
IN NUMBER HAVE FOUND THE RAT WASTE GARBAGE THE DUSTBIN

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
dmk, General Manager at Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Dear Elena L.,

Whilst it is our aim to cater to all tastes and cultures, it appears that we failed in every way during your stay. This is surprising considering the other reviews on this site!
May I however set the record straight on a couple of matters? The total hotel grounds are 100.000 m2 which can in no way be considered small and as the hotel is laid out with a main building and surrounding bungalow clusters, there are plenty of quiet areas and space for everyone. The hotel was renovated in 2007 and the pool was redesigned and equipped with new furniture and umbrellas.

I would also like to inform you that the bungalows vary in size, from 35 up to 60 m2.

We maintain very high international hygiene standards which are recognised by many international bodies, the proof being the so many positive comments of previous reviewers concerning the cleanliness level of the hotel.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments with us and I do hope that you will chose one of our Grecotels again in the future.

Sofia, Bulgaria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

Rooms are small,better get a bungalow to be comfort / pool is small-no lane for swimmers,
/spa is nice but expensive-always empty inside/ breakfast is ok but dinner s nothing special for a 5 star / Free lunch corner for kids is great./ You have to pay extra for orange juice during breakfast / The sea is very deep few steps and you have to swim-during all our holiday it was furious and you cant enter inside-we were told that this is usual at this part of crete-also you need special shoes to go inside because of the small and big stones/ Evening show program is very basic/Staff is very helpfull

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Creative Sofia,

Firstly, may I thank you for your review about our hotel and your compliments for my colleagues. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, but assure you that all of your comments are taken very seriously and your feedback will be used not only to improve our already high quality standards and services, but even to surpass them.

I was really surprised that you found the pool small, as it has a surface
of 786 m2 and a capacity of 1.260 m3.

Unfortunately, the hotel cannot guarantee the weather which affects this open stretch of the Cretan Sea.

However, we can and do make every attempt to achieve the highest beach and sea quality standards and for this reason have been awarded the International Blue Flag for the past consecutive 18 years.

As you said, many of our guests have found that swimming shoes are convenient for sea bathing and of course, we have two pools (seawater and freshwater) for the days when the sea is rough.

Concerning the room please let me inform you that the rooms vary in size, from 28 m2 to 55 m2 and the bungalows from 35 m2 up to 60 m2, not to mention the size of the exclusive accommodations of the “Famous Class”
suites and villas.

As I feel we deserve a second chance, please feel free to contact at my personal email dmk@grecotel.gr when you are planning your next vacation, and I will personally take good care of your stay.

With many thanks and best regards

Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

It was the first time I was traveling with my toddler son to the hotel and this try was just a hit! I've been told about Creta Palace before and knew that this place is just loved by Russian families and German old couples. It really is :) Still the first thing guaranteed us the highly professional Guest Relations stuff and the perfectly trained Receptionists. I must admit that everyone who works for Grecotel is a bit inspired but GR & Receptionists had all my respect! Just everything I needed and in advance.

I should also mention that I didn't stay in one of their general rooms - it was Deluxe 1-Bedroom Bungalow Suite w/Private Pool (Famous Class) and I've applied to their Exclusive Club before but I'm sure that Grecotel stuff takes care of each their guest as the Famous Class one.

I've attached the pictures of the bungalow but the ones you can find on their official web-site are very truly. Can definitely recommend this accommodation. The other benefit is that it comes with the dedicated beach tent and sun beds.

Few words about the food in the hotel. Nevertheless the cuisine is impeccable and when both Maitre & Chef learned from the room service that my kid liked some pastries I've been supplied with few kilos of them upon check-out :) It's their hospitality once again... And I wanted just to give an advice not to opt for the dinners because the food court is too crowded and it's too much stress even for their greatest food. My option was room service and the sea front :)

PS: Why we have two identical Creta Palace hotels here on TripAdvisor?

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear azzie9,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback at TripAdvisor.
I’m glad that you pointed out the friendliness of my colleagues and the food quality.
Also, that you enjoyed your vacation at our hotel having experienced the typical “Creta Palace Style” – the professionalism and the Cretan hospitality.

With this opportunity I would like to inform you, that for all Deluxe 1bedroom Bungalow Suites with private pool we provide private Gazebos (exclusive services included).

In case you would like to spend your holidays once again at the Grecotel Creta Palace please do not hesitate to contact my at dmk@grecotel.gr, in order to take personally care of your accommodation and to make sure that your next vacations will be once again unforgettable.

Gomel, Belarus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

This hotel is excellent. It is nominally 5 star

The food was good and the buffets at breakfast and dinner were constantly replenished, even late on in the meal periods so there was no need to get down there early in case all the popular choices had gone: they never ran out. There was always a lots of choice. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and this contributed greatly to our most enjoyable holiday.

Our room was spacious and comfortable.

There was some traffic noise from the many motor bikes along the promenade road but this did not amount to a problem. I

Service buses run along the main coast road to Iraklion to the east and Chania to the west, and through the hills to the south coast. There are also plenty of excursions, to Knossos etc.

We would be happy to recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Tasa1972,

Thank you for spending your holidays with us and taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.
It is wonderful to hear such positive experiences at the Grecotel Creta Palace!

I also would like to thank you for pointing out how much you were impressed by the friendliness of my colleagues, the food quality and your room.
The satisfaction of our guests is our best reward.

The city of Rethymno has a very good location on Crete, since it is ideally located between Heraklion and Chania.

I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again as our guest.
In this case, please do not hesitate to contact me at my personal email address (dmk@grecotel.gr) in order to assist you with your accommodation wish and preference.

With many thanks and best regards

Antalya, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

Good restaurant. Good service
Loby / bar area noisy. Must do something for the accustics.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Atoktove,

Thank you very much for your feedback and comments you have shared on TripAdvisor. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed the location, the restaurant and the service.

As Grecotel Creta Palace, we really take guest’s feedback very seriously and always listen to our guests stay experiences.

In case you would like to spend your holidays once again at our hotel please do not hesitate to contact me at my personal email address dmk@grecotel.gr.

Dimitris M. Kalaitzidakis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rethymnon
Caramel Grecotel Boutique Resort
Aquila Porto Rethymno Hotel
Aquila Porto Rethymno Hotel
#26 of 171 in Rethymnon
4.5 of 5 stars 701 reviews

Been to Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!