We had a week long stay at Hotel Palladion which we very much enjoyed. The location in the middle of Adelianos Kampos is decent - just a couple of doors along from Klados Travel whose tours were fun and very reasonably priced, near to the beach which has a great view of Rethymnon and the White Mountains beyond (it's especially lovely at sunset) and within a short distance of local shops, bars and restaurants. As other reviews have mentioned the hotel (and indeed all of Adelianos Kampos) is sandwiched between two busy roads, but I got used to that after a day.
The nightlife in Adelianos Kampos is of varying quality and we actually found that the bar at the Palladion was one of the better ones on the strip. The drinks are well priced and their daily special cocktail sells for €3.50.
Our room, which was located toward the back of the hotel on the second floor was spacious and clean with plenty of wardrobe space and a small balcony. As you'd expect it can get very warm in the rooms, but I believe you can pay extra for air con (we weren't too fussed).
All that having been said, it's not perfect. The shower curtain in our room was held up on an odd railing system which didn't work at all, so showering left the whole bathroom covered in water. It sounds like a minor irritation but when you and your partner are both showering twice a day it soon starts being quite annoying.
The other gripe I had was with some of the food. The selection of cold salads is very good - my partner is a vegetarian and she was delighted by what was on offer - but the quality of the meat dishes is very hit and miss. On our first night they served pieces of lamb and lamb and mint koftas, which were delicious. On the second night it was a sauce based chicken dish in which the very cheapest possible pieces of chicken were used - I mean the pieces were 80% rib cage and 20% meat. Quite unpleasant. On another night they served a sauce-based lamb dish but, again, the pieces of lamb were 80% bone or fat with only a tiny amount of meat. But then our final meal there consisted of spanakopita and moussaka, both of which were fantastic. I can't help but think they'd be better off just serving grilled pieces of meat and traditional greek food and abandoning the sauce-based dishes, which seem designed to cater for English and German guests, altogether.
Overall we had a pleasant stay at the Palladion and found it to be good value for money. The staff are very friendly and when we had questions for them before the holiday they got back to us quickly - we found them really helpful. I'd have no problem going back and staying there again in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Palladion consists of 79 spacious and ergonomic rooms, all allocating bathroom with continuous supply of hot water, fridge, television, wireless internet access, telephone, hair dryer, air-condition and balcony. The architectural style of our complex combined with the discrete beauty of the settlement will certainly impress you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Palladion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palladion Hotel Rethymnon
- Hotel Palladion Rethymnon, Crete