“Worst hotel experience in my entire life” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ideon Hotel

You added Ideon Hotel to your Saves list
Ideon Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Square North Plastira, Rethymnon, Crete 74100, Greece   |
Ranked #26 of 172 Hotels in Rethymnon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel experience in my entire life”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We booked into the Ideon Hotel in Rethymno, Crete for six nights but we had to leave after two.
On the second day, we woke up to find the room filled with motor engine gas.
No alarm sounded, and it was only by chance that my girlfriend woke up. She then woke me up (with difficulty) so that we could both get out of the room. When we went immediately to reception to report it, the staff were rude and didn't seem very concerned (they said it wasn't a good day and they'd had some other things to think about that morning!). They didn't offer any explanation and never asked if we were OK. Also, despite several requests from us, they made no attempt to wake up or notify the people in the surrounding apartments who could also have been affected. Later in the day they told us that the cause of the smoke had been their power generator leaking directly into our room. Following this incident, I had a very painful chest cough for a couple of days. The hotel never apologised for what has happened.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Franziska S, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Ideon Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Willj_Lon

As the Managing Director of the Hotel Ideon, I would like to apologize for the incident described on Trip Advisor some days ago. Please be assured that our hotel places high value on uncompromising maintenance. We regularly check all our technical parts and do inspections in all our departments.

I am very sorry for the unprofessional reaction of my employees. Unfortunately, I cannot explain what causes this kind of behavor. This does not meet our standards for dealing with guests. Although there has been so long from this incident I would like to express my deepest regrets and would like to give us another chance to redress. I am offering your a free of charge stay for the 4 days you lost two years ago.

Please contact us if you accept this offer.

Thank you in advance.

With best regards
Hotel Ideon

Babis Birlirakis
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Greek first
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stopped in Rethymno on a whim during a driving trip. We turned the corner of the strand and there it was. We looked it up on Booking.com, got a rate, walked in - and were quoted a higher rate. We pointed this out and the rate quickly came down - maybe 58 Euros. Great location - we had a very nice room with water view. Bathroom was fine. Wi-Fi in the room...not so much, as we discovered all over Greece and Turkey. Had to go sit in the lobby to get a strong signal. Nice bar, very nice breakfast room with a widely varied selection of hot and cold. We ate outside by the pool. Hotel is well-situated for walking the Venetian streets and we found a nice little restaurant right next to a minaret under renovation. Had a nice lamb dish. We noted this in Lonely Planet and then went looking for it - nice hotel which should meet the needs of most. Looked like a good hotel for kids as well - nice pool although it was too late in the season to actually get in. Nice place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

This was my 5th time at this hotel and I wasn't disappointed. It is in a great location, near to the harbour and the front rooms have a sea view, although I believe you have to pay extra for them. The back rooms overlook the pool. They have everything you need. The bathrooms are very basic, but having stayed in other hotels in Crete this seems to be the norm. The breakfast is excellent and you can get value for money snacks in the afternoon. The staff at the Ideon are lovely, really helpful. I would recommend the Ideon for anyone thinking of staying in Rethymno.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I spent a very happy and comfortable week here. Friendly helpful staff. Lovely room on 3rd floor with sea view, nice bathroom, more than adequate storage space, a fridge, a lift. Excellent buffet breakfast. What's not to like! The pool is small but has plenty of sunbeds and a nice seating area surrounding with some trees and bird life in the early evening. Handy for the old town with lots of nice cafes and restaurants. It's a short walk up to the picturesque fortezza, a somewhat longer walk to the beach - it took me 20mins. I experienced some noise from the neighbouring taverna on a couple of evenings when there seemed to be some loud Cretan folk music and singing going on until 4 or 5am, but if I closed the balcony doors and used the air con then it blocked out the noise. The other side of the hotel gets the sun but I loved my sea view, which is what I'd asked for. Shame about the big concrete car park to the right which is a blot on the landscape but that's nothing to do with the hotel. I look forward very much to visiting again.
Tips: I took my own kettle as no tea making facilities in room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Friendly staff! This a great location in Rythemnon. Close to the beach, bars and all the attractions.

Rooms are always clean and interesting. This time we stayed in the apartments.
Overlooking the picturesque streets of the old town and the pool-garden area, these apartments in Rethymnon, Crete, are installed in separate buildings around the pool. They are ideal for families with children because of their size and position in the complex.

However,the room was great for a couple looking to enjoy the nightlife of this great city!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We spent 2 nights here at the start of our Crete holiday. Its a good hotel with helpful reception, bar and particularly nice to sit outside in the evenings after dinner.

The room was small for 2 adults and 1 child but ok for 2 nights. It overlooked the pool and was quiet and we slept really well. Beds very comfortable. Just not much space. Bathroom was good.

The pool is nice but it is not that big and the pool area is a little cramped. Had we been staying longer, we would have hit the beach.

Overall the hotel has a really nice relaxed feel to it and is well managed. Breakfast is extensive and well serviced.

The hotel is in a really great location in Rethymnon, handy for everything. There is a car park directly opposite the hotel that we were able to use at no cost because we were at the hotel. The hotel is on the seafront and near to the fort, shops, restaurants etc.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sunderland UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We spent a week at the Ideon September 2013 , I chose the hotel based on reviews and because of the location .
The Ideon is on Plastira Square which faces the sea, outside there is a very pleasant cafe bar area that was perfect to chill out with a drink . Our room was sea facing but we were not troubled by noise , we enjoyed the view & watching the boats and the cruise ship activity at the port.
The room was extremely clean , towels changed frequently and a very comfortable bed, the shower area was a bit tiny but not a problem. Very good air conditioning too.
We stayed b&b and the breakfasts were very good , we also had lunch at the cafe bar a couple of times and thought the food was good. The staff were all very nice and we were looked after very well.
The location was just perfect for wandering around the corner into the old town area which is a maze of tiny streets full of shops, bars , tavernas and peoples homes in the lovely old buildings. We absolutely loved wandering around day or night there was always something to see .
We ate out at a few different places in the old town and also a couple of times on the beach/port road and had some very good meals , we didn't eat at the venetian harbour because although it was very pretty my husband got very fed up with being constantly stopped by the restaurant owners as we walked around there and wouldn't walk there again !
We went on an excursion to elafonissi booked with cool holidays and it was a lovely (but very long) day out and Elafonissi is beautiful.
We would not hesitate to stay at the Ideon again if we return to Rethymnon .

Room Tip: Sea view rooms have a lovely view and noise is not a problem