“This lemon left a sour taste!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 203 restaurants in Rethymnon
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Belfast, United Kingdom
“This lemon left a sour taste!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

This taverna is located in the heart of the old town of Rethymnon. On fist impression I was taken aback by the lovely gardens, fountains and lovely lemon trees that surround you. It looks great!!! You could literally reach up and pick the lemons that are hanging above your head!!! All that glitters ain't gold!!!
The menu is quite inviting, but a little on the pricey side!
My wife and I were shown to a seat towards the back of the gardens. This table seemed ok, but then we realised that it faced out towards the local square/kids play area. This was not really conducive to a quiet meal for 2. It also seemed to be a local cats community centre. I counted 7 of them around our table!!! We were glad of them when the food came.
This would have not been a big issue had the food been nice and the service acceptable. Neither was the case sadly.
The lady serving us had a little difficulty understanding me (Northern Irish accent threw her) and when I tried to make light of this she just tutted and stormed off. Still trying to figure that out. Still would have put it down to crossed wires until the food arrived.
The food - SHOCKING!!!!!
I had asked for pork fillet and my wife ordered the cod. The pork fillet was nicely presented and served with vegetables and potatoes. I have never attempted to eat such a tough cut of meat in all my life!!! It was also full of fat. That got worse as I discovered the middle part was raw!!!! Red raw. I was nearly sick. Cats!!!
That was bad but my wife's cod was awful. It looked like something that had been caught in 1975, frozen, then microwaved that night. It was a wrinkled up, pathetic mess. Credit to her for even trying it. One taste was enough.
Back to our friends the cats. They were well fed that night!! However even these skinny little cats left part of the cod! They couldn't even face it. It's probably still there!!!!!
After our altercation with the waitress we decided just to pay our bill and run. One of the worst experiences ever. Look, it may have been a bad night as I have read many great reviews here, but I would not risk it.
Bitter fruit!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
  • Greek first
Seaton Delaval, United Kingdom
“Two evening meals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Good food, service, atmosphere and live music, all at the going rate for the area. The waiters took great care in explaining what each dish was.

Visited September 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“Lovely Setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We chose to eat here on our last night in Rethymnon having read good reviews. The setting was really lovely in amongst the lemon trees. The food was of a very good quality and was reasonable. I had the Greek Plate which was a selection of various Greek dishes and was great for tasting different options. My boyfriend had the lamb which was delicious. We also had wine which was very nice. The food was all pretty good value for money. It was a really lovely setting and we really enjoyed our evening there. The only one small comment I would make is that the service was quite slow. We asked for our bill 4 times before receiving it almost an hour after we first asked. Normally this would be fine but we were just very tired that night and had an early start so perhaps I wouldn't complain as much about it another time! I would definitely go back though if I was in Crete again!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Under the lemon trees”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We ate there twice, delicious food very friendly staff the waiter was helpful.There was a quartet playing,Complimentary breads,olives,and dips.Lemon sorbet,and a panacotta each,Just great.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Excellent - best restaurant we found”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We drove around Crete and ate at many different restaurants but I have to say we both found this to be the best. We went there for dinner as it looked so inviting from the outside and we could see the garden in the back. First of all the atmosphere was wonderful. There was a Greek quartet playing and singing for the entire duration of our meal. The fruit trees were full and the lighting was wonderful. I wish I had asked her name but a lovely lady served us and recommended some great dishes one being gardeners lamb which was delicious. We shared a garden salad to start which was plenty for the two of us. There seemed to be no rush to feed you and get you away from the table and we sat there for 3 1/2 hours enjoying the experience. As in usual in Crete, when we had finished our main meals and sat a while, a bowl of grapes (huge) was brought out to us followed by a lemon sorbet which were both complimentary as were the breads, olives and dips as we sat down at the table. I was expecting this restaurant to be higher on the rankings list and would recommend it to all.

• Visited August 2012