“lovely stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chester, United Kingdom
“lovely stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

lovely decorated room with stylish bathroom complete with a large shower. The view from the balcony was not very desirable, as it was overlooking a side street, however it was nice to sit on the balcony mid afternoon to shelter from the heat of the sun. The breakfast was lovely, always being re-filled. The small round sausages in particular were amazing. As for the staff, I cannot fault them at all, so welcoming and helpful. They even kept some of our toiletries which we had left, for us to pick up at a later date. The wifi was free and very quick. There is also a computer with printer in reception for all to use.

A 10 min walk to the main street provides you with a well stocked supermarket, many eating places etc.

Definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: the lifts here are very small so if you are afraid of lifts, get a room on the first floor and take...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We had to leave our villa in Rethymnon at 10 in the morning with a 1030 flight in the evening. Hotel Sofia allowed the six of us to book one room for the day to give us a base. This allowed us to make use of their very sheltered swimming pool and then all have showers and get changed before leaving for our flight in the evening. The staff were friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. We used their bar area to get drinks during the day and the receptionist helped me to order food using a local take away service, which we ate at the hotel. Before leaving another member of staff gave me directions to a restaurant to eat our dinner.
The hotel room we were given had a double and two single beds in and whilst there wasn't a lot of space left in the room all six of us managed to get showered and changed with some degree of privacy. The room had a small balcony looking out over the front of the hotel. The shower room was lovely as was the large walk in shower. There were plenty of seating areas on the ground floor of the hotel and the swimming pool area was a wonderful sun trap with a large pool and smaller shallow pool.
Didn't sleep in the beds but my children seemed comfortable enough lounging on them and weren't there for breakfast though the breakfast area looked clean and welcoming.
We certainly had no complaints and would very happily use the hotel again in similar circumstances.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Harlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Landing at Heraklion Airport to pick up a hire car and launch myself straight into the exciting world of Cretan drivers ..... in the dark.... on the wrong side of the road..... for a hundred and fifty kilometres? Not my idea of fun. The answer! A night at the hotel Sofia. A 10 minute taxi trip with the luggage and the current wife and a poolside restaurant and inexpensive though very comfortable hotel room awaits.

For the peace of mind of picking up the car, after a good night's sleep, from the airport which is only 15-20 minutes easy walk away, the cost of the room is well worth it. Well rested and in broad daylight I felt more than up to whatever the massed ranks of the Cretan Pick-up trucks could throw at me.

Room Tip: No busy roads, take what they have.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I wish I could give this hotel a better review. The hotel in my opinion is just average. We chose this hotel for one night when we arrived in Crete. Honestly, it was just OK. The staff was absolutely wonderful and if I could give a 5-star rating for service I would, but unfortunately for the price this hotel charges, you could definitely find better options.

LOCATION: I didn't particularly like the location. We decided to walk to the city center which was a LONG walk. Yes, you can probably take a bus but just to clarify: we don't mind the walking but I'm writing from the "reviewer perspective" : if you have only one or two days to see as much as you can, you're better off choosing a hotel closer to the center of all the attractions.

ROOMS: The pictures make the rooms look modern but really, the furniture is a bit outdated the only word I can think of is dreary. The breakfast had a variety of things but nothing special.

Overall, in reviewing a place, I take into consideration the price for the value. If I had $70.00 for the night, I would say I got a great deal. But paying close to $100 a night, for this hotel is definitely not worth it.

Would I recommend it? Only if everything else is booked. If you have a choice to stay in one of the better rated hotels, then do so. If I had a choice, I would not stay here again. At the end of our week trip in Crete, we stayed at the Galaxy Hotel and it was 1000 times better and not that much more expensive (at least at the time we were there).

Sorry Sofia! I do feel bad to give this rating because I'd like to repeat that the staff was SOOO SOOO nice!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I visit Crete almost every year on bussiness and this year i decided to change the hotel i usually stay in for this one, because it had good reviews and i liked its pictures. First of all it's not so spacious as it seemed. I got dissapointed when i got in. I wouldn't mind it if i was there for one night, expectations are not very high when you only want to take a shower and sleep for one night but i had 3 days to spend in Crete and i wanted something better than a half-rennovated hotel. It didn;t feel new and i didn;t like the neighborhood/location. In a magic place like Crete you can find lots of great hotels with reasonable prices. The breakfast was nothing special but the staff were of the most kind and helpful i have ever met. They tried to meet your expectations even if thehotel organization didn't help. For example they didn't have knifes for meat(!) but when i asked one for my steak the waitress apologised on behalf of the hotel and tried to get me one, from the kitchen. When i ordered coffee in my room they said they didnt have a waiter to take the coffee upstairs but "if you can wait a bit i'll bring it myself". Staff is always a big plus, but when i go to Crete this year i'll go some place else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We needed a place to stay the night before flying to Rhodes. This was close to the airport - like 5 minutes by car, had a nice room, was very reasonable in price. They prepared an early breakfast for us which was very nice. They have a nice outside bar and what looks like a nice outdoor pool. The Wi-Fi is spotty and we had to ensure we got a room close to the repeater in the center of the hall - which unfortunately was a smoking room. But we got used to it and it was just what we needed for an early-morning flight. It was a good sign to see airline crews staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: For Wi-Fi reception get a room in the center of the hall.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I'd like to note before the rest of my review that I only stayed here with my family for one night as we were actually staying at a villa near Chania for the rest of our holiday but we could only get a late flight so had to stop-over in Heraklion for an evening.

The first thing that surprised me was how quiet the hotel was, considering the fact that it's right in the heart of Heraklion with the airport not far away.

The second thing that surprised me was the quality of the rooms. I certainly feel as though I got value for money; everything was spotless and the sheets were of good quality. In fact the same can be said for the rest of the hotel - everything is really very clean, including the outdoor pool. The only issue I had is that the pillows were far too soft, though I suppose that may be down to personal preference.

Our food in the morning was your typical eggs, sausage etc. but seemed to be of good quality.

One thing I would like to mention in particular, and I can't stress this enough, was how helpful the staff were. I have a pretty poor memory and as a result I left my keycard in my room repeatedly despite only staying for one night and a bit of the morning. I can't remember the exact number of times I had to ask at the front desk for them to come and open my door but each and every time I was met with a smile and friendly attitude despite them probably wanting to kill me after about the fourth time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sofia Hotel? Share your experiences!