“Casual Excellence - Relaxation Defined” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 38, Elounda, Crete 72 053, Greece   |
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Elounda
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Calgary, Canada
“Casual Excellence - Relaxation Defined”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

Well, lets start by introducing myself and the trip. My wife and I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. We travel overseas about once a year with additional trips to a sun destination most winters. I also travel frequently for work. On average I do about 40 business trips a year that involve air travel. I consider us fairly well traveled having visited over 50 countries. Past trips to this area of Europe have included Turkey, Greece and Italy. While we have been to a number of the Greek islands, we had not previously been to Crete. The sole purpose of the trip was a vacation and time to relax. Our plan was to use the Blue Palace as a base. We spent 5 nights at the Blue Palace.

Flew Calgary to Frankfurt Executive First on Air Canada. Good flight, exactly what I would have expected for this product. Met our needs and expectations. Frankfurt to Athens business class Lufthansa. Product was fine; although I feel Air Canada offers better product on it’s short to medium range Business class service. All in all and uneventful trip.

Spent the night in Athens at the Holiday In by the airport. Shuttle was easy to locate and the property was good. Thought we would get a taxi into Athens for the evening. Hotel suggested we take the bus. Cheap and very easy both ways. A good evening.

Shuttle back to the airport for an Aegean flight to Crete. New aircraft. Very good quick flight. Would defiantly chose Aegean over Olympic Airways. Good equipment and service.

Planning for our care rental involved internet searches and reading reviews. To save on dollars we avoided the major traditional players and booked with Eurocars. Reviews had indicated they are good value but not efficient and we may have to wait for them on arrival; however we decided to give them a try.. We were met on time by a friendly person that was very helpful with our luggage. Walked a short distance to our car. A small Peugeot convertible. Per the reviews we had read, not the cleanest cars; however very adequate and in fine mechanical condition. Large Eurocar sticker on the side. We will use them again without concern; however if you want a spotless car and new model, then use a different firm such as AVIS.

Drove to the Elounda where our hotel was. (Actually, the hotel is a short distance past Elounda near Plaka.) Greeted very promptly on arrival by the bellman and was given all the help we needed with our luggage. Valet parking was efficient and when ever we requested our care it was promptly brought to us.

Walked to the from desk. Was immediately identified by the desk person as Starwood Platinum. The person checking us in excused herself and picked up the phone and called someone. The hotel director came out and personally welcomed us and wanted to ensure us that he and his staff were there to ensure our stay exceed expectations. Very efficient, warm and friendly check in process.

We booked the room on points for 5 nights. I never expect more than what I book. That way upgrades are a bonus. Being late June, I wasn’t expecting an upgrade (although privately hopeful for a room with a pool). We were walked to our room and had been upgraded to a suite on 1 level with a pool. Very lovely bedroom and living room. Separate shower and jacuzzi tub. appreciated. The room was spotless. There was a bottle of raki and a fruit plate to welcome us with a card form the hotel thanking us for choosing the property. The room was tastefully furnished and plain. (I mean this in a positive way.)

I have read mixed comments on the private pools. Ours was not heated and could be seen clearly from the adjacent room. This being said, we thought it was a great addition to our stay. Very refreshing way to start and end the day. For us being unheated was fine. If paying, I recommend the pool, but that is a personal choice. It certainly added to our stay.

Each day we had breakfast on our deck overlooking Spinalonga Island. We enjoyed picking up some fruit and yogurt and had this on our deck that was for us. Ordered coffee which was promptly delivered with a choice of hot milk, milk to cream. We like lots of coffee, so day 2 and for the balance of the stay a larger thermos was provided. We never had breakfast in the hotel; however did check out the buffet. Looked like a good buffet; however we always prefer al a carte and would never chose a buffet. Plus, the room was a great place for breakfast. Did get up early one day, my wife slept in, the coffee bar wasn’t open yet. Went to the restaurant and asked for a coffee to go. Was given one and told it was no charge. Nice gesture.

One day our toilet backed up. Called for assistance. Some one arrived promptly and fixed the problem. So no concern.

There is an internet station by the front desk. As platinum, they gave me a code so it was complimentary. However for most there was a charge. Note, there is complimentary internet a short walk away in a secondary lobby that has a reading and sort of business area. So not sure why one would be free and the other be charged for!

Front desk staff were excellent and welcoming when every we walked by. There to help without being over the top. Chatted a few times with the front desk manager. She was great help. Had the ability to combine a professional approach with being personable I took the time to drop off a note thanking her for the positive guest experience received before we left. She thanked us for taking the time to share our experience with a kind note and a local cook book. Seemed really interested in my thoughts on service etc.

The property never felt busy. I think this was by design. While upscale in service and quality, I would describe the experience as casual elegance rather than formal. Have stayed at a number of hotels that are fancier/more formal such as various Four Seasons, The Danali in Venice and The St Regis in Rome. If you are looking for that type of experience, this place may disappoint. However each has its place. This is relaxed and casual in a warm and caring way. We love the St Regis in Rome and the St Regis in Florence; however this is a different type of experience and one we certainly enjoyed and will repeat.

We saw some young families enjoying the large common pool by the beach. The pool was never crowded and was warm. Not sure if it was heated or not though. For families, have to know what to expect. Was not really a busy family place, although the families we spoke to enjoyed the quiet setting. Never saw many teenagers.

One disappointment at the hotel was our meal at the Blue Door an onsite Greek Taverna. Awesome location and setting on the beach front. This is an old stone fisherman's house with lots of lanterns, white and blue tablecloths, and bright blue chairs. The food was excellent; however the service was rushed and while technically fine, it was not warm. My perspective, this should be a slow pace to eat. So if I was there again, I would order each course after one was completed. While our experience may not be representative of the norm, we would bypass this for local tavernas such as Ferryman's. Worth walking by to see the setting though as this was very good and full of possibilities! Price was higher than in town but not unlike what I would expect at the hotel.

Some evenings we had a drink by the pool by the lobby. I think this is the Arsenali Bar, but not sure. Anyway, this was great relaxing setting that we enjoyed a couple of times before going out for dinner. Never saw anyone swimming in this pool in the evening. Was used a bit during the day. Had sun beds, but as a pool to relax by or sun bath, recommend the beach.

The hotel had a private pebble beach that was about 300 feet long. Lots of wooden walk ways to get around, so the pebbles weren’t a problem. We had planned to travel more of the island that we did; however time on the beach was relaxing and a great way to unwind for the beginning our our 3 week vacation. Great service on the beach. Ordered wine and snacks on a number of occasions serve was friendly and fast. Also well priced for a hotel. Would strongly recommend time on the beach. Ski boats offered trips to Spinalongia however cheaper to make the shot walk to Plaka for the trip. Also could take diving lessons or water ski etc from the beach. Swimming was good; however not the fish and marine life we often see in other parts of the Mediterranean, Caribbean or parts of Hawaii. There are sea urchins not far of shore, so watch for these and wear water shoes. Was a breeze most of the time on the beach. From our perspective, this was a plus. Could swim off a small floating dock that was not used by boats.

Overall, a wonderful experience. Would highly recommend this property for its ambience, setting, service and most of all for the people that work there. Casual, warm caring and focused on providing a positive experience that exceed expectations. Not a formal property. Know what you are going to and enjoy all it has to offer. I guess a good way to end our review is to say, just booked 7 nights there for July 2012.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Theofra, director General at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for the detailed and informative account of your stay at Blue PaIace. I am really thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and thank you particularly for all the important details you mention. I am sorry that The Blue Door tavern was a slight disappointment. We try to apply the traditional Greek way of service where everything is coming ion the table at almost the same time ( the Meze way ).Sometimes this can be too fast for guests prefaring a relaxing dinner. I am glad you booked again for 2012. Please note that you willbe automatically entitled to become a member of our Blue Circle ( the club for our repeat guests ) and that will give you a lot of extra amenities.
Theodoros Frangos, Director General

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Gig Harbor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

I was using Starwood points and I admit the reason we came was to have our own private pool. After a week and half in Italy, the Blue Palace was heaven on earth. The staff was wonderful, the room was the two levels with a master suite, full living room and 2 baths we could not have asked for more. The salt water pool was the size of a football field and the upper deck area was majic fo a relax in. We ate many times at the Blue Taverna as well as the Calypso in town on the recommendation of the hotel and it was some of the best food on the trip. The kid in my also was amazed at the tram and the spa was also wonderful. Within a short walk to Platka.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Theofra, Director General at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Dear Guests, I am really very happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Blue Palace and that you used your points with Starwood in the best possible way.In our frequent meetings we inform our staff about the different comment in the Trip ADvisor and they are always thrilled to know that our guests are happy with the level of the services. I really hope to have you back to the resort for another relaxing stay,

Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

My husband and I arrived here from bustling Athens by plane and were picked up and driven in a comfy Mercedes to Elounda. Even though we were booked in one of the most affordable rooms, we were treated like VIPs. As far as I could tell, all rooms had sweeping views of the bay and Spinalonga Island, and our room was no exception. It was spic and span, and we enjoyed lunch in the big cushy bathrobes on our private balcony almost every day. We used the gym facilities twice, and took advantage of the spa for two couples massages which were SOOOO relaxing. The private beach with small boardwalk for walking and little umbrellas was a great spot for drying off after a quick dip in the warm sea.

The only snag was that we had a bit of a conflict with the Ultimate Guest Services people. We had arranged a sunset champagne cruise on a caique. This was supposed to include canapés and champagne but when we got out there, instead there were two GIANT picnics (WAY too much food) and red wine instead of bubbles. The outing was lovely but when we docked, the captain approached us for payment. Our understanding was that we'd pay the hotel since they arranged it. The captain indicated that the policy had just changed and that we owed him an amount about HALF of what we'd been quoted by the hotel! We had to go up to the Guest Services desk (quite a ways from the water) to sort this situation out, and upon asking why the mark-up was so significant, they answered only that they made the effort to make the arrangements and that this was the price that was agreed to, and therefore owed. They apologized for the mix-ups with payment method and about the picnic versus canapés and champagne but still insisted on us paying the marked up rate in spite of these mistakes. Sadly, this put a very sour note on our time here, but I would still recommend this hotel as long as one was willing to either pay high mark-ups for activities or make independent arrangements with a local operator in town.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send your comments to Trip Advisor. Let me start by apologizing about the problem you had with our Ultimate Guest Service Team. There was definitely a big problem of internal communication between the UGS and the Water Sports. You were obviously charged for something different from what you had chosen. The most upsetting thing for me, is the wrong way the whole affair was handled by our Staff and I sincerely apologize for that.We try hard to have all our guests happy and it is a pity when something goes terribly wrong. I hope that this unlucky incident will not affect your positive impression of the resort and that I will have the chance of welcoming you again in the Blue Palace. Yours Sincerely, Theodoros Frangos, Director General
Waltham Abbey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

We stayed here for our honeymoon in Setember 2008 and had the most amazing time. The rooms are spacious and very clean and the staff are very helpful and friendly. The food is fantastic with are great choice of dishes at the different restaurants. We found that the rooms with pools only had the sun in the morning so I was glad we didn't book one of these. The beach is great with lovely sunbeds.

The views from all of the rooms and sun terraces are fantastic and very relaxing.

Try nearby Plaka (5 mins walk) which is quiet but has 2 great bars and a few lovely restaurants.

If I ever have the money again I would return to this hotel. Great hotel for couples but not sure about families with young children.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send yoiur very nice comments to the Trip Advisor Site. it is always very nice to know that we have succeeded our targets by having satisfied customers. We train the staff for quite a long time and it is rewarding to see that all their efforts are bringing the wanted results.
I really hope that I will have the chance of welcoming you again at the resort,

Yoiurs Sincerely

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

Let me start by saying that my honeymoon started off with a bad start. Our plane was delayed, we missed Athen all together, had to wait in the airport for 3 hours once our initial flight arrived and then they misdirected our luggage so we had no clothes once we did arrive in Crete. HOWEVER, the moment we arrived at the Blue Palace it was like winning the lottery. The resort looks like a city within itself. The concierge was so sadden by our story that she gave us a complimentary spa treatment in their spa (which by the way is amazingly beautiful.) Our room had an amazing room with it's own private pool, the food in the restaurant L'Orangerie was the most delicious lamb and risotto I have ever had. When we arrived in our room they had a complimentary bottle of champagne and sweets waiting for us. The fact that we didn't have a change of clothes wasn't that bad anymore. From our exclusive balcony we had such a fantastic view of Spinalonga Island, that we didn't need to take the ferry. There are no words to describe what this location and resort did for us, except that it was one of the best experience of our lives. The staff was extremely welcoming, helpful and will cater to your needs. The breakfast (mimosa include) was outstanding! On our last day after returning from the pool, the staff had sent us a complimentary chocolate cake with happy honeymoon on it. It was the most personal attention I've ever had at a resort. Thank you Blue Palace for turning our sad beginning to a happy ending.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,

I am really thrilled that you so much enjoyed your stay at the Blue Palace, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa.Our aim is to have happy guests is always excellent when we get positive feed back
from people like you. We appreciate the fact that you chose our resort for the very important holiday which is a honeymoon and I am glad that we have contributed to starting your new life in the most wonderful way.

Neath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

Just returned from a week at this wonderful hotel. We went at the end of October which was half term holiday in the UK. The hotel closes at the end of this month for the season and reopens next April.

We arrived late in the evening and received a warm greeting from two of the staff who met us outside the hotel when we stepped out from our taxi transfer ( takes approximately 1 hour from the airport). At reception we were told that our room had been upgraded to a deluxe bungalow with its own pool , which we truly appreciated.

The room was spacious, excellent bathroom , large comfortable bed and had a spectacular view out to Spinalonga island. The pool was lovely albeit the water was a little on the cold side!!

The hotel itself is spread out over the hillside . Our room was close to the main body of the hotel. There was an excellent glass cable lift ( really neat feature) to take you down to the lower pool and beach .

There are 5 restaurants but this late in the season only 3 were available for dinner. We all like Asian food and ate several times in Asia Blue which had a super menu and the food was always excellent .We ate once in Isola, an Italian restaurant, which was nice and once in the Blue Door, a Greek taverna. This I felt was a little disappointing, maybe because you are primarily eating outside and it was quite cold but my 12 year old enjoyed this meal more than any other! Breakfast was in the Olea and this was very good. The hotel has a very extensive wine list.

We were half board and upon reflection this was a wise move, not only because of the quality of the food but because otherwise we would have had to have gone out to Plaka or Elounda. Plaka is a small village, approximately 1km walk with only a small number of places to eat. Elounda is circa 5km away. Taxi costs to Elounda were reasonable as they were too if you wanted to go to Aghios Nikolaos which was circa 10km down the coast.

We found the hotel staff always keen to help, from the maids who cleaned the rooms, to the reception staff and the people in the restaurants all of whom were polite and friendly.

The beach had no sand it was all pebbles so there was a floating platform to make entry into the sea a little easier. There was a watersport outlet, canoes, pedaloes water skiing etc all at reasonable costs.There was a large saltwater pool which was spotless.

After dinner we often went back to the Arsenali bar for a drink ( not cheap eg glass of wine 8euros, soft drinks 4 euros) , we found the bar really relaxing , both indoor and outdoor with a lovely ambience.

We had a fabulous week and would love to return again and would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel as a wonderful place to stay, suitable for couples and families looking for a relaxing time.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Theofra, Director General at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
Dear Guests,
It is really wonderful fo us to know that our guests are really enjoying their stay at the Blue Palace and that they say so in such a beautiful way. Thank you for your excellent comments. We are already closed now and it is nice to think back to the days of operation and be mentally with you in the restaurants and the beach. The satisfaction of guests like yourself is what make us work hard even in winter time so that we are fully ready for the next season. I really hope that you will return to the Blue Palace and if you do, make sure that you become a member of our Loyalty Club that will give you all kind of privilages.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights at the end of October with my husband. The service here was wonderful - we were met at our car as we arrived and throughout our stay all the staff were helpful and polite. We stayed in a room with a private infinity pool and an amazing view of Spinalonga Island. The room was very large and the bed very comfortable. Breakfast was spectacular with everything you could possibly think of to eat and even champagne to drink! We only ate on site one night as all the restaurants were pretty expensive but the Blue Door had a great view of the bay and the food was decent. Elounda had some nice restaurants but is too far to walk where as Plaka is within walking distance although down an unlit road. The beach was nice with lots of parasols and sun loungers. We didn't use the spa but it offered lots of treatments etc. Only negatives are extortiant fee for Wifi in the rooms and fairly thin walls (although maybe the kids in the room next to us were just very loud?)
Overall a wonderful hotel to have a relaxing stay and see a different side to Crete.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send your very nice comments to the Trip Advisor. We make it a point to pass these comments to our staff and it really makes them very happy to know that all their efforts are appreciated by our clients. This is by far the best reward for the people in the Hotel Industry. I really hope to have the chance of welcoming you back to the Blue palace for another relaxing stay.

Yoiurs Sincerely

Director General

Been to Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!