We were a bit wary given some of the previous negative comments (which we can’t understand and certainly do not agree). We had a fabulous stay. We love Elounda and we have holidayed there regularly over the last ten years. We normally stay at the Porto Elounda Deluxe (the new Peninsula Suite complex does add an extra layer of luxury but that resort and the surrounding area is now becoming too overdeveloped for us). We were looking for something quieter this year .
Reservations and Guest Services at the Blue Palace were friendly and efficient throughout e.g. in handling our advance email room and dining requests. They arranged for a special and romantic turn-down service for our anniversary - this was a lovely surprise. We asked for and were allocated a quiet and private superior bungalow without pool - the right choice for us as we preferred to spend most of our time down by the beach. The bedroom and bathroom were a good but overly large size and the many draws were filled with every known toiletry requirement! There were lovely views of Spinalonga from all the bedrooms, restaurants and terraces. We had a couple of minor problems in the room (e.g. the light in the wardrobe would not switch off when you closed the door) but these were fixed with hours of being reported. The setting was superb and the hotel was very well designed to blend in with the surrounding landscape.
Plaka is a 10 minute stroll away and there a handful of restaurants – our favourite was Captain Nicolas – where we selected fish as it was being unloaded from the boat. We didn’t go into Elounda as we have stayed there several times before.
Back to the hotel. Breakfasts were OK - there was a reasonable selection of fresh fruit but we would have like a little more variety (e.g. some pineapple, mango band strawberries in addition to the melon, kiwi, orange and grapefruit). In the end I supplemented with the excellent choice of cheese and breads/crackers whilst my husband opted for the smoked salmon and poached eggs. We both succumbed to the occasional Bucks Fizz.
We received half-board as part of our package and ate in the main restaurant on three nights (2 nights table d’hote and the Greek Night). The service was good and the food was Okay (alhough the salad and dessert selection was fairly extensive it was the same everyday). The Isola (Italian) had a good menu selection but the food was under-flavoured and the service was poor in comparison to the other restaurants. The Blue Door (Greek Taverna style) had a fairly limited menu but the service/atmosphere was good and we were happy with this but to be honest you can have the same if not better quality food in Plaka for a lot less money. We ate in L’Orangerie twice including the lobster night. The service and food were outstanding.
Yes, if you are on one of the higher floors you will probably want to use the lift to access the beach and some of the restaurants (we never had more than a few minutes wait and the lift was never full) but t you can easily walk or ask for a buggy. Yes, it is one of the larger hotels in the area but you never feel overcrowed). Yes, the beach is not sandy the bathing platform gives direct access into the sea without risking slipping over the pebbles and the huge heated seawater pool by the beach was lovely. Yes, it is a bit more expensive than some other hotels but worth it (people need to remeber that because of the euro Greece is no longer the cheap holiday it used to be).
The only negative comment from us was that the breeze here could be excessively strong (seemed like gale force on occasion), more so than the Porto Elounda. Deluxe. This would put us off returning in July but not in June or September.
Excellent facilities, good food and great attention to customer service. Why wouldn’t we go back ?
- Also Known As:
- Blue Palace Resort And Spa
- Blue Palace Hotel Elounda
- Blue Palace Resort
- Blue Palace Resort Spa
- Blue Palace Hotel
- Blue Palace Resort & Spa
- Blue Palace
- Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Elounda, Crete
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blue Palace, Resort and Spa is a place of rediscovery. A member of the Condé Nast Traveler Gold List 2013, this luxury resort with exceptional charm, architecture and style, is the perfect hideaway to experience island luxury accommodations, authentic cuisine and the breathtaking beauty of a Greek island. Crete is a magical place. Spend a day exploring old villages, wineries and the ancient Palace of Knossos or simply unwind with cocktails under the enchanting arches of the Arsenali Lounge Bar. Get on board the traditional wooden boat “Meraki” which will take you around the coast of Elounda, followed by a BBQ on the remote island of Agios Fokas. Explore the island of Spinalonga with its Venetian, Turkish and Arabic monuments just across from the resort and finish your day with an authentic Greek dinner at Blue Door, the tavern right at water’s edge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Splendia, Starwood EMEA, Hotels.com, Tingo, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Escapio, Orbitz, Otel and Venere so you can book your Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.