“Wonderful honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 39 hotels in Elounda
Bingley, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We booked for 10 nights for our honeymoon and we wished we had booked 14 nights. The resort was brilliant and Flame restaurant was amazing. Make sure you try this. The other restaurants were good too, the italian was average.
The rooms were very luxurious and we enjoy lazying around in our private pool, although we did lose the sun around noon.
The staff were very polished in their delievery of everything and they are happy to help with any request.
Great honeymoon, great resort with beautiful views.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the vanicual lift so you get more privacy. The sun disappears from the priv...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed each detail we put into ensuring a relaxing and wonderful stay at our hotel. Every element of our property plays a part in your visit and I am so pleased to hear that we could provide you with the perfect place to escape to for your honeymoon.
Looking forward to having you with us again the next time you are in Crete.

838 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Greek first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The service level was impeccable, from the greeting at the driveway, to the personalized ride & introduction to the room, etc...The room was sooooooooooooooooo nice!!!! Felt so spoiled! Loved the fruit plate & liquor (still don't know what it is, exactly). Food was pretty good, but not to-die-for...Only thing I would ask them to improve on was the wifi...

Room Tip: They're all great, with water views, great sleeps!
Dear Guest,

I am ecstatic you had a fantastic stay at our resort. Our staff is committed to providing an unforgettable experience for our guests and I am delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations.
I hope to welcome you back on any future travels to Crete.

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We booked three nights here to kick start our honeymoon. It really was a lovely resort - although I think I appreciated it more after seeing the standard of the other accommodation we went on to stay in.

I was a little disappointed with our (upgraded) room. It was a massive space with lovely bathrooms and a plunge pool, but the soft furnishings were a little shabby and dated. A similarly priced UK hotel would be a LOT more plush. We were lucky that our plunge pool wasn't overlooked, as we noticed a lot of them weren't so private.

The service was 5 star though. The beach and poolsides were well tended, the rooms made at least twice a day, the reception staff helpful. Everything was just so comfortable!

The restaurants were a little disappointing since in Crete it seems vegetarians eat fish and ham, but when we mentioned this we were told that as the food was freshly made they could make up a dish for us.The salads at the Italian restaurant were particularly fresh and tasty. Breakfast however was a feast! Everything so fresh, and so much choice - and real champagne if that took your fancy... it quickly became my favourite meal of the day.

I had a bad experience at the spa, but when I complained we were offered a complimentary treatment and the second time it was wonderful - just the relaxing experience you'd hope for.

We must have mentioned that we were on our honeymoon when we checked in, because on our last night, there was a bottle of champagne and a cake in our room, and a bath strewn with petals made ready for us!

All in all a luxurious and memorable start to married life :)

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Blue Palace for your honeymoon and for taking the time to share your comments with us.
I was very happy to learn that your encounters with our staff were always pleasurable ones. We love to make our guests special occasions feel even more memorable by offering them the special touches you mention. We are very dedicated in making each and every guest stay as unique as possible and I am truly glad we achieved that on this very important celebration of your life. However, I apologize that our guestroom did not fully meet your expectations and have taken on board your feedback for future review.
I look forward to having you back at our resort.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We visited 2nd week of October, and it can get windy on Crete this time of year. We were lucky, we spent 5 days there of which 1.5 were windy and about 24 deg. The rest were 28-29 Deg. They shut down end of October so this is really end of Season.

The Hotel is lovely and we had booked a room with a pool (not heated). As SPG Gold members, we were upgrade to a Maisonette with a pool (not heated) and free WiFi throughout the Hotel. (Please note that there are Free WiFi spots but only in a couple of areas otherwise you have to pay)...but as others have stated...its a tad too cold.

As its end of Season, you lose the sun on the deck area in your room around 12pm-1pm depending on where you are in the resort, which means down to the pool areas (there are 2, fresh heated pool - comfortable, by reception, or sea water pool by the beach unheated) or the beach (pebbles). It maybe worth saving the pennies if you are travelling end of season to get a regular room as the rooms with pools are really useable realistically.

End of Season means you are never hunting for a sun lounger either !!

The rooms are clean, views of the bay and Spinalonga spectacular, staff are polite, good selection of restaurants (we ate at the Isola - Italian, and Blue Door - Greek), which was comparable price wise to eating out in Elounda or the nearest village, Plaka). The food was lovely at both places and servings were healthy. Breakfast Buffet was also included, which ranged from Cold Meats, Cheeses, Croisants, Cerals to fry ups.

Plaka is walkable (5-7 minutes) and you can get the boat to Spinalonga from there EUR 8 pp return as well as some lovely restaurants. Elounda is probably 5-7 minute Taxi ride at EUR 7 one way.

Taxi from the Airport (Heraklion) to the Hotel is EUR 97 and EUR 85 from Hotel back to the Airport (1hr each way). Car rental from the Airport works out roughly EUR 26-32 per day (without Fuel) for a Panda/Polo with excess protection at this point in the Season, so it may be worthwhile renting a car as it allows your to wander around the Island.

Would we go back...definitely, one day...but only because there are lots of lovely places to visit in the meantime.

PS. One thing that niggled with us was why no tea/coffee facilities in the room ?
Having said that you can ask them for a kettle and then go buy tea/coffee/milk from Plaka...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback and I am pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay while with us. We take pride in what we do and always aim to deliver a brilliant service.
Looking forward to welcoming you again here at the Blue Palace.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We arrived at the Blue Palace for the second week of our two-week honeymoon in Greece, following the first week at Perivolas in Santorini (which was incredible, in case anyone is wondering). We were very much looking forward to the SPG luxury we know and love (my husband being a gold member), and arrived to the hotel after a long ferry ride around 10pm.

We got to our "upgraded" room, and my husband was immediately upset. The room was dingy, dark and small, and the private pool was anything but. I could see the entire pools of both neighboring rooms, along with their balconies - even their underoos hanging out to dry. Either way, we were tired and decided to get room service and figure the room out later. We ordered simple items: a Greek salad, margarita pizza and some kind of pita bread sampler. It arrived about 30 minutes later, and was a huge disappointment. The Greek salad was pathetic, with bland cheese (not at all feta) and huge smelly white onions... nothing like what we had in Santorini. The margarita pizza was a joke..a frozen pizza would have been worlds better. We ate very little and went to bed (which was supposed to be a king, and was nothing more than two twin beds pushed together with a gap between them), hoping that it was just the day of travel that had gotten us down.

Sadly, we were wrong. Each day at the Blue Palace was worse than the last (not to mention the weather was insanely windy and cold), and by the time we left, we felt as though we were nothing but an inconvenience to the hotel. We spent our days finding ways to avoid the hotel at all costs -- and let me clarify, not because of costs -- to avoid the rude and unhelpful staff, the filthy rooms, and the overall unpleasant vibe that permeated every inch of this large and expansive "resort."

Coming from Perivolas in Santorini made this all the more shocking and downright sad. This was our honeymoon, after all, and the Blue Palace couldn't have cared less. The staff here act like they are tyrannical camp counselors -- they make the rules, they don't give a [--] that you paid and took time off from your job to be here... you couldn't even bring a drink from one bar to another (one of their bars, to another!). They are power-tripping hard, and had some of the worst attitudes I have ever come across in a customer service role. We didn't even bother lodging complaints with them after the first few polite attempts, because it was abundantly clear they did not care.

A complete waste of money and time -- even causing us to cancel our SPG reservation in Athens for the following week. No chance we are staying at another of their vile accommodations, and my husband will be booking elsewhere for his professional travel. It's a good thing we really like each other and can have fun no matter the situation -- Elounda and Plaka made up for the experience we had at the Blue Palace, but I do hope that others take this for a warning. Avoid this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Blue Palace.
I apologize for the areas we fell short of your expectations and I have taken on board your comments for future improvement. Although it came as a surprise to me I am sorry you found our service unfriendly and not up to your standards, as we always get positive comments regarding our staff’s quality of services.
Should you reconsider visiting us in the future we will be more than happy to welcome you back and restore your faith in our services.

Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have long wanted to stay at this hotel and finally was able to get there. We spent 7 days here at the end of September and it was the best hotel experience I have ever had. The service was over the top from the moment drove up to the door and were greeted by Penny. We had traveled a long way to get there and she made us feel so welcome and took care of our every need. Our room was beautiful and we made full use of our private pool each and every day. There are so many wonderful restaurants right on the resort and we tried all of them and the food, service and atmosphere of all of them were fantastic. I have traveled alot and Luxury Collection Hotels are my favorite and this lived up to all of my expectations and more. I would recommend this hotel to anyone

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with private pool.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel, following your most recent stay. I am delighted that on your visit, your arrival to our resort was nothing short of seamless, and that we were able to efficiently attend your every need. Particularly after a long flight, I am so pleased that our team made you feel so welcome.
It is also great to know that your dining experience was up to your expectations and you thoroughly enjoyed all our venues. It is very reassuring to receive such nice words and it motivates us to work even harder to maintain our high standards and level of service provided to our guests.
Thank you for recommending us to others and I look forward to your next visit which I am certain will be as unforgettable as this one.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

If one has to spend a cold, windy and occasional rainy time on the beautiful island of Crete, there's no better place than the Blue Palace Resort and Spa to be. It exceeded everyone of our expectations. We had a truly beautiful suite with a heated pool. Unfortunately it was too cold for us to use the pool. Even during the best of circumstances the pool would not be very warm.
The view of the island of Spinalonga was exceptional. The service for the most part was great, especially when one considers what a large hotel it is - with numerous levels, restaurants and activities. We especially appreciated the assistance of Leftaris the manager.
Driving on the island was fairly easy. We would highly recommend the sensational scenic route to Sitea and of course a visit to the ruins of Knossos is a must. One could easily spend a week at this resort. One day we will be back to tour more of the island.

Room Tip: If you are able, splurge with the island suite.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Blue Palace for your recent visit to Crete and for taking the time to leave your feedback. Our team aims to fulfill and exceed guest expectations at all times and I am delighted that we achieved just that for you.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit to our beautiful island.

Kind regards
Sotiris Kremastiotis

Been to Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!