We arrived at the Blue Palace for the second week of our two-week honeymoon in Greece, following the first week at Perivolas in Santorini (which was incredible, in case anyone is wondering). We were very much looking forward to the SPG luxury we know and love (my husband being a gold member), and arrived to the hotel after a long ferry ride around 10pm.
We got to our "upgraded" room, and my husband was immediately upset. The room was dingy, dark and small, and the private pool was anything but. I could see the entire pools of both neighboring rooms, along with their balconies - even their underoos hanging out to dry. Either way, we were tired and decided to get room service and figure the room out later. We ordered simple items: a Greek salad, margarita pizza and some kind of pita bread sampler. It arrived about 30 minutes later, and was a huge disappointment. The Greek salad was pathetic, with bland cheese (not at all feta) and huge smelly white onions... nothing like what we had in Santorini. The margarita pizza was a joke..a frozen pizza would have been worlds better. We ate very little and went to bed (which was supposed to be a king, and was nothing more than two twin beds pushed together with a gap between them), hoping that it was just the day of travel that had gotten us down.
Sadly, we were wrong. Each day at the Blue Palace was worse than the last (not to mention the weather was insanely windy and cold), and by the time we left, we felt as though we were nothing but an inconvenience to the hotel. We spent our days finding ways to avoid the hotel at all costs -- and let me clarify, not because of costs -- to avoid the rude and unhelpful staff, the filthy rooms, and the overall unpleasant vibe that permeated every inch of this large and expansive "resort."
Coming from Perivolas in Santorini made this all the more shocking and downright sad. This was our honeymoon, after all, and the Blue Palace couldn't have cared less. The staff here act like they are tyrannical camp counselors -- they make the rules, they don't give a [--] that you paid and took time off from your job to be here... you couldn't even bring a drink from one bar to another (one of their bars, to another!). They are power-tripping hard, and had some of the worst attitudes I have ever come across in a customer service role. We didn't even bother lodging complaints with them after the first few polite attempts, because it was abundantly clear they did not care.
A complete waste of money and time -- even causing us to cancel our SPG reservation in Athens for the following week. No chance we are staying at another of their vile accommodations, and my husband will be booking elsewhere for his professional travel. It's a good thing we really like each other and can have fun no matter the situation -- Elounda and Plaka made up for the experience we had at the Blue Palace, but I do hope that others take this for a warning. Avoid this place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blue Palace, Resort and Spa is a place of rediscovery. A member of the Condé Nast Traveler Gold List 2013, this luxury resort with exceptional charm, architecture and style, is the perfect hideaway to experience island luxury accommodations, authentic cuisine and the breathtaking beauty of a Greek island. Crete is a magical place. Spend a day exploring old villages, wineries and the ancient Palace of Knossos or simply unwind with cocktails under the enchanting arches of the Arsenali Lounge Bar. Get on board the traditional wooden boat “Meraki” which will take you around the coast of Elounda, followed by a BBQ on the remote island of Agios Fokas. Explore the island of Spinalonga with its Venetian, Turkish and Arabic monuments just across from the resort and finish your day with an authentic Greek dinner at Blue Door, the tavern right at water’s edge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Amex, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Starwood EMEA, Splendia, Odigeo and Otel so you can book your Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Palace Resort And Spa
- Blue Palace Hotel Elounda
- Blue Palace Resort & Spa
- Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Elounda, Crete