“A lovely weekend getaway at the Blue Palace !” 5 of 5 stars

Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 38, Elounda, Crete 72 053, Greece   |
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Elounda
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“A lovely weekend getaway at the Blue Palace !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed at the Blue Palace for the weekend and upon arrival we were informed that we were given an upgrade to a room with a private pool ! Now that's a great way to start your holidays !

The room was superb, spacious, modern and overlooking the island of Spinaloga. Large bathroom with both shower and bathtub. Our private pool was a dream, a bit cold but we did expect that since we were reaching the end of September! We had a swim and we actually met our neighbours as well and they were lovely people. We had complimentary water in the room and there was a bottle of raki with a fruit platter on the table.

The private beach is very well taken care of, given the fact that the beach is rocky and it is pretty painful to walk on barefooted, they have a floating pier for the convenience of their guests. They provided us with complimentary beach towels and we enjoyed every bit of the sea and the outdoor swimming pool. The beach bar has a great variety of freshly squeezed fruit juices so we did enjoy them as well. We made a quick visit to the spa, just to use their sauna and jacuzzi. Definitely worth it and the spa staff was friendly.

We were amazed by the breakfast the following morning, I don't think I have ever seen a biggest breakfast buffet in my life. They had everything you could possibly imagine, it was the highlight of our mornings! Great variety and so many tasteful choices! Again, the staff was lovely and we were greeted with a smile every morning from the ladies who took our coffee orders.

A few extra pros:
- Room service was fast.
- Housekeeping did an excellent job. Turndown service every evening.
- Italian restaurant 'Isola' had a great view of Spinaloga and food/wine were excellent.
- Beds were comfortable and cozy with three types of pillows.

The only cons I can imagine were the internet connection (the signal was not strong in our room and we were disconnected most of the times) and the lift which is extremely slow but it's for the guests' safety I guess.

Special thanks to Vasso and Penny who made our stay even more memorable by helping us with dinner reservations and room requests. I cannot recommend this hotel enough! This is what a 5-star hotel truly is.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased that you chose to stay at Blue Palace and I am delighted to know how much you enjoyed your guestroom accommodations and the service you received from our staff. Our team strives to meet every request with a genuine commitment to hospitality and I am excited to share your comments as it reinforces the steps of service.
Thank you for your comments and I hope we can again welcome you to the Blue Palace on your future travels.

Sotiris Kremastiotis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I travel the world with my job and stay in the best places ... And this is right up there. This hotel is brilliantly run with excellent facilities and most importantly very professional caring staff who clearly think about the customer experience. We loved the location of the hotel and being able to walk to plaka some nights. It was a very relaxing holiday ... We will visit again.

• Stayed September 2013
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving such an amazing review of your recent visit to our resort.
Very pleased to hear that you were well looked after by all our staff. I have passed you kind words to everyone who are grateful for the recognition and we do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Blue Palace for another amazing holiday.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

The Blue Palace resort has an idyllic - possibly perfect - location, wedged in the corner of the Mirabello Bay, with an uninterrupted view of the calm blue water and beautiful but haunting Spinalonga Island. The location alone gives the hotel a lot to live up to. But it delivers.

We returned yesterday from a week's late-summer break. It's a well-worn cliche, but we genuinely didn't want to come home, and have already made plans to return next summer.

From the moment you arrive at the resort, to be greeted by the exceptionally friendly and professional reception staff (Vasia could not have been more helpful or welcoming), you can feel the stress draining from your body. And that feeling continues for the duration of your stay.

We arrived at around 10.00pm, so were slightly worried about being able to eat after a long journey, expecting a hurried room service meal at best. However, Vasia made a reservation in one of the resort's four beautiful restaurants, giving us half an hour to unpack before a late dinner.

We chose a Superior Bungalow, with private heated pool. It was expensive, but turned out to be worth every Euro. The room was stunning, simple but luxurious. Having a private pool was a massive novelty, although we must apologise to our 'neighbours' for the noise we made during our late-night swim on the first night. As breathtaking as the room was, however, we went to bed with a sense of huge excitement about what the view from our terrace would be like the following morning. We weren't disappointed. It was, quite simply, breathtaking.

The overall feeling of the resort is relaxed, luxurious but not ostentatious. This approach is best demonstrated in the resort's restaurants. We opted for a half-board deal, but were pleasantly surprised to learn that we had been upgraded, allowing us to eat at any of the four themed restaurants, as well as the main Olea restaurant. We took full advantage of this, and particularly enjoyed Asia Blue and Flame, although the food was magnificent in all of them.

It is clear that a huge amount of thought has gone into the layout of the resort and this is perhaps best demonstrated by the magnificent beach. Pebble beaches are sometimes a little uncomfortable, but Blue Palace has dealt with this by installing an ingenious system of wooden boardwalks and a floating jetty, allowing guests to get in and out of the clear blue sea with comfort. The beach was by far our favourite part of the resort.

It is perhaps testament to the quality of the resort that our only criticisms are trivial. It would have been nice if tea and coffee were available in the rooms and, as other reviewers have pointed out, it is surprising that the hotel does not offer free WiFi throughout the resort.

One final comment is that we would recommend at least one visit to the wonderful village of Plaka, only a five minute stroll from Blue Palace. Plaka is largely unspoiled and authentic, and a charming place to have a drink and watch the world go by. From there, it is a short boat trip to Spinalonga, which is a must for anyone visiting the area. Spinalonga has a long and sometimes tragic history, and a visit to the island allows visitors a glimpse of the life in the early 1900s. It is genuinely a haunting and moving experience.

All in all, we cannot wait to return to the Mirabello Bay, and to the magnificent Blue Palace Resort.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that your stay was truly relaxing and that you found the resort’s location to be so perfect you had a hard time leaving. It is also very pleasing that you recognized the high level of service. We are a very passionately dedicated team who work consistently hard to make sure each and every guest has a memorable time with us and it is great to know that we achieved exactly that for you.
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us and other reviewers and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Letchworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

just back from a 2 week stay at the Blue Palace which delivered on quality of room and food. However, the trip was to celebrate our silver wedding which we informed our tour company but the hotel made no effort to make our stay special. Even after we saw the General manager about a minor matter and told him he did not even send a bottle of wine to our room.
Apart from that we had a good time. The weather was perfect and we enjoyed sampling the four restaurants-our favourites being the Greek and Asian. The towels were changed twice a day regardless of where we left them and the bedlinen was changed regularly. Even the slippers were changed 3 times in 2 weeks!!
One real problem was the number of children at the hotel, especially the high number of babies and toddlers who ran riot in the restauant at breakfast. We had not expected so many little people at a 5 star luxury resort.
We will,not return.

Room Tip: We were in room 708 which had a lovely view and was a nice walk from the main block
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay at the Blue Palace.
Whilst I was pleased to know that the room was to your liking and you enjoyed our restaurants too, I would like to apologize for not fulfilling all your expectations during your time with us. Usually when an important event like yours is communicated to us we do arrange some special touches to celebrate this special time, therefore I was surprised to learn that this did not take place on your occasion.
I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back and prove to you the standards of service our guests have come to expect from us.

London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We arrived at the hotel on the 10th August 2013 at around 9pm. On check-in we discovered that notwithstanding our booking for three rooms together, we had one room in one part of the hotel and two in another part. We asked them to try and do something but they said the hotel was full. We went for dinner and returned to find that they had managed to find us three rooms together. There were three children in one of the rooms. We went there in darkness. The next morning we discovered that notwithstanding our confirmation said "Spectacular Sea View", we had been given nothing of the sort and had been placed away from the hotel in the corner of the property. This was to be contrasted with what we booked from the website. Don't be fooled by the website. The room did not resemble the room we had booked and was totally unsuitable in the layout for three people. I lost count of the times one of us bumped into the centre piece of the room. There was not enough room "to swing a cat".
We went to reception to complain about the room on our 1st day to be told by the Asst Manager, Lefteris, that the hotel was full and that there was nothing that could be done until at least the next day. As we were only there another two days, we suggested that it would be too late by then and that they should do something about the price of the rooms. He suggested initially that we could have a meal in the hotel and then retracted it very quicly when he realised there were nine of us and offered a couple of bottles of wine!! We rejected this out of hand and asked him to come back to us.
After a day, he still had not contacted us and we went to reception to see him. He said he had left a message but none of our phones had one and was still offering a couple of bottles of wine. We said it was not good enough but he said that was all he could do.
On our last night, I received a phone call in my room from Babis, who was the duty manager. I explained the position to him, he was very sympathetic but after two further calls during which I waited in my room for 45 mins, he offered some Spa treatments for the next day, this was not possible as 5 of our party were leaving at 4.30am! He then offered 3000 Starwood points per room, again I told him this was unacceptable and he made an appointment for me with the General Manager for 11am the next morning. This was the last day of my summer holiday but I wanted to resolve it so I turned up at Reception at 11am. By 11.20, We still had not been seen and we were then spoken to by Claire, the Front of House Manager, who said the General Manager was not now available. This was totally unacceptable but once again I went through everything with her and I was to go back at 3pm to see her. When I went back at 3pm, the General Manager has apparently been spoken to and I was told that 3000 points per room was all that was offered.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Blue Palace.
I apologize for the areas we fell short of your expectations and I have taken on board your comments for future improvement.
I do hope that we will have the future opportunity and pleasure of welcoming you back to the Blue Palace.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at 10.30 pm and loved it from the moment we arrived . The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and immediately arranged a table for us at the Blue Door restaurant . Our bags were taken to our rooms and we were whisked off to the restaurant in a golf buggy.
We were upgraded on arrival which was fantastic. The room was very beautiful with amazing views over spinalonga . The next day however, we realised that we would not get any sun at all during the day on the veranda or pool (probably to do with the time of year) .We asked if we could be moved and were given a different room within the hour .This room also looked over Spinalonga.
We could not find a fault with the staff, the facilities or the other guests
The restaurants are staffed by very friendly people. We particularly enjoyed Flame and the Blue Door . We also walked to Plaka in the evening (5 mins) and ate in a few of the lovely tavernas.
Portion size in Plaka is huge so be warned. It is also incredibly cheap.
A really lovely holiday in a very happy hotel !

Dear Guest,

It gives me great pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction and I appreciate you sharing this with others.
I was so glad to know that we met your expectations in terms of the facilities we provide and most importantly the service. We really enjoy creating a memorable stay for all our guests and I am glad this shows.
I do hope you will come back and stay with us again in the near future as we will be more than happy to take care of you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We've been lucky enough to stay at numerous 5*+ hotels across the world and the Blue Palace is 5* in most respects. We spent a week there in September and it was a fantastic break. Granted, you're not going to get the same level of exceptional service that you would get in the Middle East or Far East, nor the unique charm of the Caribbean, but then this is Greece so you wouldn't expect it!

The setting is simply wonderful with the hotel overlooking the enchanting Spinalonga and built into the surrounding landscape. The hotel design is great, particularly the lobby area - the hotel feels small but it is actually quite a large resort. The views are beautiful.

Location wise, it is perfect - a 5 minute stroll to the village of Plaka and a 5 minute taxi journey to Elounda. Fantastic for those of us that like to explore and try local restaurants etc.

We chose a room (the hotel calls them bungalows for some odd reason!) with an infinity pool. We were unsure about the pool after reading the comments but we decided to go ahead and it was a good decision in our opinion. The pools are cold but very refreshing and we would use our terrace area to sunbathe on until around 1pm each day before heading to one of the main pools. Our neighbours either side also used their pools daily until the early afternoon and although they aren't very private, at least you get talking to your neighbours!

We found that the staff at the hotel were very helpful and always happy to help in any way. The concierge service could be better but the reception staff and the staff at the lobby pool (particularly Maria) were excellent. However, the service at the beach was pretty slow.

Food wise, we only ate in the Blue Door which was very nice but the lack of local waiters/waitresses was a shame (all seemed to be Russian or Eastern European.) What it really needed was some charismatic locals serving you to create a more authentic experience. Breakfast was excellent with a huge choice and a fantastic setting on the terrace.

As everybody says; stay well away from the funicular! We asked for a room in the newer part of the resort away from the funicular and the room we were given was very nice and in a perfect position.

The only other negative point, that is mentioned a lot in other reviews, is the lack of free WiFi throughout the hotel. It's quite amusing seeing the number of guests sat in the lobby with iPads etc downloading content, and whilst it made me smile, it is quite embarrassing for a 5* hotel not to provide this free of charge and throughout the entire hotel.

In summary, this is an excellent hotel with helpful, friendly staff in a brilliant location and reasonably priced for a 5* resort. We will return to the Blue Palace in the future and would definitely recommend it for a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer part of the resort - it's a short walk away but it's more peacef...
Dear Guest,

I am very happy reading your comments, thank you so much for your time to provide the feedback. It is great to learn that your first visit to the Blue Palace was a great experience and we are honored that you chose our hotel on your trip.
It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed your accommodations as well as our excellent staff. I have shared your review with them and they are very appreciative of your kind comments. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission.
Thank you for recommending our unique and individual hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Blue Palace.

Sotiris Kremastiotis

Been to Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!