“Beautiful” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 36 hotels in Elounda
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are clean and comfortable, wonderful romantic view, the staff was welcoming. The private shore is great because the water are clean and it's a great swim. The buffet breakfast is amazing - a great variety of cheeses, breads, omlettes, salads and great cakes and desserts. The biggest let down was the private pool because the water were freezing and salty. It would have been great if there was a fresh water pool (not only the shallow one in the spa) because we had enough salt in our eyes from swimming in the sea. There isn't too much to do in the hotel but the elounda boardwalk is a 10 mins drive away.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback following your stay with us.
Along with the rest of our team, I was delighted to read such positive comments about your experience here with us. It is our pleasure to ensure our guests thoroughly enjoy their stay, and I am very pleased that we were able to assist in creating a memorable stay for you.
I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Blue Palace in the near future.

863 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Greek first
Athens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel is built on one of the most unique landscapes I have been too: on a mountain side, all the way to the beach, overlooking Spinalonga (a small island with a fortress & a rich history). We spent a weekend there, but I would love to spend more time, as I found the hotel itself and the surrounding nature immensely relaxing. The staff was very helpful and professional and made our stay even more wonderful, stating with upgrading our room to an infinity-pool bungalow, overlooking Spinalonga. Good restaurant too (Flame steak house)!

Room Tip: The infinity-pool rooms overlooking Spinalonga are worth the extra cost!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review which is greatly appreciated and I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us albeit short. It was my pleasure to pass your comments on to our team, who were as delighted to receive them. That said I do hope we do have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit and perhaps for a few more days.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This hotel makes a stranger in a foriegn land feel as though he is home and watched after.
The hotel grounds are flawless, the rooms and location are wonderful, the staff is supurb.
Really cant say enough wonderful things about the Blue Palace. My thanks to management, ownership and staff gor a great stay..

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback, following your stay with us.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us so much and that with the attentiveness and friendliness of our team we were able to create a home away from home feeling for you. It is always a great pleasure for me to read about the memorable experiences we create for our guests, so thank you once again for sharing your thoughts.
I look forward to having you back in our resort for another very special holiday.

Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Let's be frank, the view, landscape and beach are simply amazing! The rooms were also very nice and cosy with a great view.

We spend a lovely week at this hotel, but we had simply expected more.

The first day at the beach the service was quasi inexistant and when we visited the hamam we noticed there was a hole in the water bucket, which you use to freshen up. We shared our concerns with employees at the receiption and were told they would take care of it.

Admittedly the service at the beach improved and was really good during the rest of our stay.

Unfortunately with respect to the hamam nothing was done and three days later the same bucket with the hole could be found there... Further we then decided to use the sauna, where my husband pinched his leg because the bench was damages, so damages that an entire piece of wood was falling off. Both things were brought to the attention of the Spa Manager and the Reception. We NEVER heard back from either one...

Finally I would not ordering room service, the food is just ok. The taverne at the hotel is lovely and you can go to Plaka in 5 minutes and eat very well. Oh, I almost forgot the gym must be revamped so don't expect any modern and up to date equipment.

I'm still rating this place as "very good", because if you are simply looking for a nice hotel at a great beach it will do it!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Blue Palace.
It was a pleasure learning that you enjoyed the amazing views our location has to offer as well as your room. However, I was disappointed to learn of the delays in service and disappointments in the Spa. On behalf of our team, I sincerely apologize of these shortcomings. We certainly take your feedback to heart and will address your points with our team.
I truly hope that you give us another chance so that we can make sure your next stay is a more enjoyable one.

uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This hotel has so much potential and it was very close to delivering on all levels, but they definitely let us down by some really silly but IMO major things which is why it gets 3 and not 4 stars.
So to get to the point, the hotel sells itself as having a buffet restaurant, it says it on the website, in all of the marketing literature and all around the hotel, including every lift. However, while we were there which was peak summer holiday season they decided to not have the restaurant open??!!
What this means in reality, is that every person in a truly massive resort are all trying to get tables in one of their 4 restaurants between 7-9pm. It didn't matter if you called up first thing, we weren't getting any table earlier than 9.15, which with 2 young children wasn't doable. Therefore 4 times in our 6 night stay, we had to get a taxi and eat out in Elounda. When we asked the hotel about this, they said the reason it was closed was that they didn't have enough people on half board who would guarantee that it would be worth opening. So for these people they gave them vouchers to eat in the restaurants.
The way I look at this, is that for the sake of the minority on half board, they have pretty much aggravated all of the rest of the people in the hotel, half boarders included in this, as they wouldn't have gotten a table either.
This is totally unacceptable as they are selling the hotel on this. The Asian restaurant was horrendous, everything tasted of bland gravy, we tried the Chinese, Thai and Japanese and they clearly couldn't cook Asian food at this restaurant. We sent our food back twice which we wouldn't typically do, but it really was very very bad.
The best place to eat was no surprise the Greek, Blue Door restaurant. Not only was it absolutely stunning in how rustic it was, the food was fabulous. We only went there for lunch a couple of times, because surprise surprise we could never get a table at night.
Second complaint was the wifi, wow this is truly awful. We were apparently in the best room in the hotel and they still couldn't accommodate us, even after finally on day 4 they set us up on our own private network, did we get some access. We had to login on 5 devices well over 20 times plus a day, as every time you went to connect it forgot you and you had to go through the rigmarole of connecting again by typing in your details. Most of the time the signal was shockingly bad, it was so-so by the pool, but in our room we didn't stand a chance, on our balcony, yes sometimes. When it came to pay, because wifi was included in our room price, we made them remove 50 euros per day that we would have been charged, because we refused to pay for something that caused us so much aggravation. This is where again a superior hotel should have said yes absolutely and we apologise etc. However, they didn't, they argued and said that they would have to escalate it. Given what we had paid, this should have been a no brainer. My husband couldn't be bothered with them, given that we were checking out that day and we told them to forget it.
I think because this hotel is so grand it just about gets away with leaving you to get on with it, but in my opinion that isn't 5 stars. The staff were very unhelpful, and were none existent by the pools. So if you needed anything, or wanted a drink, you had to go to the café which given the size of the pool area is a very long walk. In 7 days, one person asked me if I wanted a drink by the pool. There was just not enough staff around the hotel in general.
I wouldn't go back to the Blue Palace, but I would go back to Crete and probably Elounda. I thought it was absolutely beautiful, but no, the Blue Palace needs to improve its service and stop trying to cut corners, because they will lose customers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the service failures you encountered during your stay with us. As you can see from previous reviews, our service is typically where we shine. On behalf of my team and I, we are deeply sorry that this was not your experience and I sincerely apologize for this.
I was terribly disappointed to read that we failed satisfy your expectations in terms of food. However, I am glad that enjoyed your dining experience at the Blue Door tavern as well as its beautiful location. I have received your comments under strong consideration to make sure we get improved in the future.
Once again, kindly accept my sincere apologies for the areas where we have fallen short of your expectations and I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to prove to you the standards of service our guests have come to expect from us.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I just recently stayed at the Blue Palace for our honeymoon. The reason I've given this resort a 4 instead of 5 are a few details that really were missing / lacking and could have made this an over the top 100% excellent vacation.

Pros:
- The place is absolutely gorgeous.
- The staff is incredibly helpful and welcoming.
- The room service was prompt and well priced compared to the prices around the rest of the resort.
- Although the beach was very crowded on some days, it never felt too swamped and you were always able to get a seat by the pool or beach.
- For our honeymoon they added a lot of little bonuses that were nice, i.e. champagne when we arrived, flowers on our bed one night, filled bath tub with petals on another night.
- The private dining we had on our deck was incredible. The food from flame was delicious, the service was great & it was an all around romantic and perfect evening.
- There were a lot of negative reviews about the food. We ate at the Blue Door, Flame and Isola and the Isola beach bar. We found the food at Blue Door and Flame quite delicious! Isola was 1/2 and 1/2. The appetizers were amazing, but the entrees left something to be desired. The beach bar...was the only thing convenient to eat at while at the pool / beach. Some of the sandwiches were good, but some had literally 1 slice of ham / turkey & 1 slice of cheese... which is definitely pretty minimal for the price.
- The taxi service was great and not over-priced and super easy and reliable!
- Everything I arranged ahead of time for us during our stay was perfectly executed without a hitch! The concierge was SUPER helpful and accomodating.

Cons:
- The "vertical lift" that people mentioned as annoying, definitely is. It is very slow, and only goes in the direction it is headed regardless whether someone is on it or not. The resort is very large, and we would have been willing to walk between floors, but they don't even give you an option of stairs. It made getting places a bit annoying.
- The prices at the resort were definitely very inflated. By the 2nd day we learned and walked into Plaka and bought water and wine there for 1/4 the price. It was a bit insulting that they raised the prices so drastically at the resort after spending a lot of money to stay there in general, especially the bottled water!
- Although I realize it's more of a relaxing - romantic environment, the lack of bar / night options was a little upsetting for us. There is really only 1 bar open at night to go and relax at, and that's also the only bar to go to if you want to grab a drink before your dinner reservations.
-The beds were not that comfy or luxurious. For a 5-star hotel, I expected pillow top - "W-hotel" style beds. These were thin, and the sheets so paper-thin you could see the mattress pad underneath it, which for me was disconcerting.
- I read the reviews that the infinity pool was cold, so don't bother getting it if you go in September. I ignored those...and wish I hadn't, because it definitely was cold and almost unusable. HOWEVER, it was still mostly worth it because it was just such a beautiful thing to sit in front of while having dinner or breakfast or just relaxing for a nap.

In the end I would definitely recommend this resort. But I would aim for a room close to a stairway or the lift, otherwise you have a ways to go! And definitely go into Plaka and stock up on waters, snacks & wine!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is great to know that you loved our location with the beautiful views as well as the special touches in your room. I really appreciate you taking the time to post such a detailed review which I am sure will be very helpful to other travelers. It is great to learn from each of our guest’s experiences and your review highlights in a very effective way the areas you truly enjoyed, as well as those we need to focus on improving.
Thank you once again for allowing us to be part of your special time. I very much look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the Blue Palace for another unforgettable experience.

maggi.digby@sky.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have just returned with my friends from a brilliant week s holiday at The Blue Palace Crete .
We saw the holiday advertised in The Sunday Times magazine earlier this year and decided to give it a try , booking through Amethyst Travel .
From the moment we arrived we were impressed with the courteous, efficient service of the front desk - our bags were whisked away and arrived half an hour later in our room whilst we were given a brief tour of the resort by one of the elegant members of staff . We were in a Superior Sea View bungalow with wonderful views of the island of Spinalonga and surrounding hills . The room was immaculate with welcome fruit and wine and full marks to housekeeping , the maid service was excellent with a constant change of linen and towels and a turn down service , my nightdress sculpted into a n arrangement on my bed !
There are five restaurants at the resort - Blue Door , traditional taverna on the beach , Isola - Italian , Flame - fine dining grill , Asia Blue - Pan Asian and finally Olea where we took our breakfast which was a wonderful buffet . We tried all the restaurants in turn and our favourite was Asia Blue but I have to say that the food in all the restaurants was exceptional and worthy of fine dining accolades . We took our pre dinner and after dinner drinks sitting on comfortable white sofas overlooking the sea in the Arsenali bar . The management should be aware of the high standard of service given to us by the waitresses who served us - two girls stand out , one of whom's Greek name translates as Barbara . These girls really gave us such attention and were so friendly and helpful , something that is often lacking in service these days .
There was a beautiful pool next to the Arsenali but all other pools were situated on levels below nearer the beach . This for us was our main complaint, namely the funicular lift that transported you down and up . For the amount of people who were staying in the hotel this service was inadequate . Often you had to wait sometime for it to arrive and when it did , was often full. It was also very hot and unpleasant and I hate to think what it would have been like in August . On one trip, it stuck and we had to call maintenance. While I appreciate that there is only room for one lift I feel the hotel should review this facility with perhaps another alternative for next season. You could call a buggy but often the staff were busy and therefore there was a wait . I don t think this hotel would be very suitable for disabled people .
The only other complaint I have was the wi -Fi service . This was available in the lobby and Arsenali bar but often the service was spasmodic and came and went . Anywhere else in the resort there was quite an expensive charge and I feel that in a resort of this calibre it should be available everywhere .
Apart from the above two criticisms , our holiday was faultless and on this damp chilly autumn day wonder why I 'm not back there ! Definite recommendation and I hope to return !

Room Tip: I did not get round to using spa but it appeared to be very well run with plenty of treatments . I w...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your experience at the Blue Palace.
I am glad to hear that you felt warmly welcomed as soon as you arrived at the resort and that you appreciated the amazing view of Spinalonga and surroundings.
It gives me great pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction. We take pride in our service and it is great to hear that you were made feel welcome and well looked after. Our Housekeeping team was happy to hear that you found the rooms to be immaculately clean as were the rest of the staff you mention having taken good care of you. Your really do appreciate it when our dedication is noticed.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for recommending us to others and we too hope to see you again soon.

Sotiris Kremastiotis

Been to Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!