“Wonderful and relaxing with luxury” 4 of 5 stars

Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 38, Elounda, Crete 72 053, Greece   |
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Elounda
Manchester
“Wonderful and relaxing with luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed at blue palace for three weeks, we had only gone for two but we liked it so much we changed the flights when we arrived to add a further week on the trip. It is luxury and sophisticated with a lovely choice if quiet areas as well as active areas if you want more people etc. the choice of food is fantastic and there is something for everyone. You can upgrade to a small villa kind of property onsite if they are available, the room we had was a two bed with its own pool, to be honest we cod have lived without the pool as we used it only once, the big upstairs pool in all the pictures is the one o be, the seating area is really funky with lovely music playing and sofa service. We will go back here without children as it is a romantic place for couples as well as a good family location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive and inspiring feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
It was a great pleasure having you here and it was a delight to learn that you were having such a wonderful time while with us that you decided to extend your stay.
May I take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at the Blue Palace and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future for another amazing and relaxing experience.

Sotiris Kremastiotis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I and our 3 year old son stayed at the Blue Palace for two weeks and have just returned. We've now stayed there for 68 nights since 2007 and the reality is that this hotel just keeps improving. Year on year it remains sharp and never shows signs of looking tired.

We have so far chosen to go back as we know that we are guaranteed a great holiday and as we have a young son it is great to arrive and almost have a home from home. The staff are fantastic and seem to remain the same each year. Whether it's the professional reception staff or the staff in the bar, the restaurant or even the house keeping staff, everyone is so friendly and genuinely seem delighted that you are there.

This time we had a room with a heated pool (it's cold rather than the non heated pool which is freezing). This is a mid priced room at this hotel. Rooms 330 - 336 are not overlooked and are private although your neighbours will see you. For us a pool is worth the cost as we generally use it until midday and then head for the beach.

Half board is really the way forward here to experience the best that this hotel has to offer. If you don't stay half board then the restaurant prices that you will pay are consistent with the standard of this hotel, some reviewers complain that the restaurants are overpriced but in reality the food is great quality, the portion sizes are huge and the views over the bay are stunning from each restaurant location. I think my favourite restaurant this year was the Blue Door, its a traditional Greek taverna with arguably the best location of all the restaurants right by the sea. It has a very natural effortless charm, live greek music and you can pre order any sea food / shell fish that you want and if you are half board you just pay a small additional charge.

Personally I was always disappointed with the food in the local village of Plaka so the hotel would always be my first choice to avoid mediocre food. Plaka really needs to smarten up it's act as currently it is scruffy and run down, the hotel is bringing a certain amount of wealth to the area but the village is failing to take advantage of this and that's a shame.

The hotel has a gym which is quite good but I prefer to run outside and this year I found an excellent run up to the wind farm, Plastika Kritis. The distance can be varied between 6 and 8 miles depending on the route that you take coming down from the top and assuming that you dont get lost. The scenery is fantastic and takes you through old olive groves and the views from the top are really worth it. I recommend taking one of the free 0.5L water bottles from the hotel and 2 euros for another drink in Plaka on the way back. I would not recommend starting the run much later than 8am and you can still be back in time for a shower before breakfast. The wind farm can just be seen at the top of the hill as you look left out of the hotel. In my opinion this beats swimming to Spinalonga which is just under 2k return distance at the narrowest point as it is very tiring coming back against the tide.

The Blue Palace is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, they deserve all of their success so far and long may it continue.

Room Tip: Rooms 330 - 336 are not overlooked by the cable car and therefore the private pool remains private...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your detailed review of your recent and repeat visit to the Blue Palace.
I am delighted that since 2007 when you first stayed with us, we managed to meet your expectations and earn your trust and loyalty.
Along with the rest of our team, I was delighted to read such positive comments about your experience here with us. It is our pleasure to ensure our guests thoroughly enjoy their stay, and I am very pleased that we were able to assist in creating a memorable holiday for you.
Thank you once more for your continued support and I look forward to welcoming you back in 2014.

Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My fiancée and I stayed here for one week in June and were absolutely delighted with every single aspect of this hotel, the accommodation, staff and food.

We are both very well travelled and have very high standards and expectations, however, this hotel exceeded our expectations!

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a luxury hotel with exceptional standards, staff and food...
I'd like to also mention that the guest services manager, Clare, who was simply wonderful, along with Nic and lots of the other delightful staff who made our week very magical.

We can't thank you enough and will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: It is definitely worth upgrading to a suite with private pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor, following your recent stay.

It is particularly rewarding for me to read such a positive review that describes the friendliness and helpfulness of our team members. We work hard to ensure that throughout the hotel, our guests are as comfortable as possible, and at all times feel relaxed and pampered. I am so pleased that they were able to do just that for you, and it will be my absolute pleasure to share your comments with our team.
Thank you once again for your feedback and for recommending us to fellow travelers. It was our pleasure having you with us and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Blue Palace in the near future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Given the size of Crete and the great distances to cover, coming back to the Blue Palace is a wonderful respite after a long day of sightseeing. The rooms are simple, but totally nice, and the addition of a private pool outside our door was just lovely. The view is amazing and relaxing and we had a very restful few days.. The beach club, accessed by funicular, is a nice place to pass the day, and the spa is lovely as well. The pools at the hotel are very beautifully situated. The food at the hotel's taverna, The Blue Door, was excellent, as was the food at Flame, the steakhouse. The concierge and front desk staff were helpful and accommodating. We really enjoyed our time at the Blue Palace. If we ever return to Crete, we will definitely stay at the Blue Palace again.

Room Tip: Take a room with a private pool, it is worth it. Especially if you are visiting in summer time and t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback on your stay at the Blue Palace and I am delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay and plan to return.
We have a very dedicated team of people who take great pride in consistently offering an exceptional experience to our guests; therefore I was very glad to hear that you were taken good care of.
It will be our great pleasure to have you back on your next trip to Crete.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a week in early June. The hotel was great, the various pools and bars, the beach, the spa, the watersports centre etc all good. We stayed in an Island Suite, no 704 I think, which was worth every penny - very private, fantastic view, nicely decorated. The staff were helpful, friendly and polite. As others have noted, the only let down was the food, which, other than the very nice breakfast, was of a fairly average standard not in keeping with the standard set by the hotel itself - though it was priced as if it was. The Blue Door was ok, and the Flame was actually good, but even here it was let down by slightly by the service, which was very rushed - we were in and out in under an hour with 3 courses. This was the same in all the restaurants, even when they weren't busy. It would have been nice to spend a relaxed evening over a meal. You are much better off going to eat in Plaka, where there are various places to eat at differing prices, with much more atmosphere and better food. There is also a small shop here where you can by bottled water and beers cheaply. Room service is the best bet in the hotel - we had some lovely simple lunches on our terrace, and they provided a fantastic picnic for us when we rented a boat for the day (which I thoroughly recommend).

Room Tip: Luxury Island Suite is the way to go.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on the Blue Palace and I am delighted that you were generally pleased with our resort.
I have identified from your feedback some improvements that can be made to improve our dining venues which I have made note of for future review.
Your rewarding comments have been passed to all staff who were equally pleased to receive them and we are looking forward to welcoming you back for another lovely holiday.

Vienna, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed at Blue Palace for 5 nights in early July. The hotel itself is very nice with great views and pretty beach. It is a beautiful and relaxing place to be. We love the idea of the cable car to go down to the beach bypassing street traffic. It is not as fast as we would've liked, but this is Greece and we as Americans really just need to take it easy. The hotel is across the bay from Spinalonga which was a wonderful place to visit. It is a 5 minute walk to Plaka where there are some cute shops and decent restaurants. There are a couple of options for getting to the Plaka - along the side of the road, or through the beach, over the pebble stones. We did both and neither were very taxiing.

We had a superior bungalow with private pool. It is spacious and had a great view. However in hind sight, there really was no need to get the pool as the ocean water was so nice and clear we preferred to be on the beach. Also even in July when the temps are in the low 80s, the pool water was down right chilly. Even after a hot walk under the sun, dipping my feet in the pool did not feel comfortable. I later found out that some bungalows actually have heated pools. It would've been nice if Reception had informed us of the option when we checked in, however we were never offered the option and the pool went completely wasted. Overall the service at the hotel was average. Our party had 3 rooms, 2 of which were booked with platinum members. None of us felt there was anyone that went above and beyond. One of the room was booked with 2 separate reservations using 2 people's points. SPG ambassador linked the 2 reservations together, however my friends had to switch rooms after the 1st reservation ended which was quite inconvenient.

Overall it is a nice resort with some very nice amenities. We had other friends who stayed at the resort early May and were not overwhelmed by the on-site restaurant experience so other than the quick lunch/snack by the lobby, we did not try any of the restaurants. Elouda is a quick drive/cheap taxi ride away so we always went there for meals.

Room Tip: If you get a room with private pool make sure ask for a heated pool.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback following your recent stay with us at the Blue Palace.
It was wonderful to read that you felt relaxed and enjoyed the beautiful surroundings. Our team is here to ensure all our guests’ stays with us are as comfortable and memorable as possible; therefore your dissatisfaction to our services came as a surprise.
Although the shortfalls you have described are in no way indicative of the usual high standards we are normally so proud to provide, I truly apologize for not meeting your expectations and appreciate you letting me know of your dissatisfaction which I have already shared with my colleagues.
I do hope that we will have the future opportunity and pleasure of welcoming you back to the Blue Palace.

Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Had the best family holiday the quality is outstanding! Staff are fantastic! Cable car from the hotel is the best thing I have ever seen! We truly loved our time at your hotel and we look forward to return in the future

• Stayed September 2012
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such an excellent review following your visit to the Blue Palace.
I am delighted that you and your family had the best holiday and that you appreciated our high level of personal service as this kind of recognition of our staff’s efforts is what we aim for.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit.

General Mnager

Been to Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!