We stayed at this hotel in early June. The amenities are excellent, definitely 5 star and the breakfasts are fantastic. I have seen other reviews and I'm not sure where they were but the staff were all really friendly and attentive and the tea / coffee service excellent, they were there practically before you sat down (although I would concur that there was a lack of tea/coffee making facilities in the room which was disappointing).
After looking at other reviews we elected not to take a room with a private pool and this is a tip I would give others as the pools were small, overlooked at the side and from rooms above and lost the sun at midday - not worth the extra the hotel is charging when there are lovely pool and beach areas to relax in.
The beach area is really lovely and although pebbly there is decking down which makes it easy to navigate and a jetty to allow you to swim in the sea. The view of Spinalonga is amazing and the hotel offers a power boat taxi service there for €35 - worth it as the other trips mean taking several hours of the day and it really only needs an hour or so. Some days are free to enter as well.
Location is good. The area is quiet but the village of Plaka is within 5 mins walk where there are a few restaurants and gift shops. Elounda is more lively and is a short taxi ride away for €7 - all taxis seem to be mercedes so you travel in style.
Restaurants on site are OK but expensive for the quality of the food. The Greek Taverna is especially disappointing. We found much better restaurants in Elounda and it was refreshing to get away from the resort once in a while.
My only complaint about the hotel is that they seem to take every opportunity to make a quick buck. I expected food and drink to be on the more expensive side but free wifi is only available in the lobby area otherwise it's €8 per hour and they only provide one small bottle of water per person for the room and only in the evening. It's hot and this is inadequate. Given that they want to label themsleves a 5 star, I'd expect more of the little things to be laid on for the comfort of their guests.
Overall though this was a lovely stay and I'd highly recommend this hotel to others looking for a quiet, relaxing stay in a beuatiful location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blue Palace, Resort and Spa is a place of rediscovery. A member of the Condé Nast Traveler Gold List 2013, this luxury resort with exceptional charm, architecture and style, is the perfect hideaway to experience island luxury accommodations, authentic cuisine and the breathtaking beauty of a Greek island. Crete is a magical place. Spend a day exploring old villages, wineries and the ancient Palace of Knossos or simply unwind with cocktails under the enchanting arches of the Arsenali Lounge Bar. Get on board the traditional wooden boat “Meraki” which will take you around the coast of Elounda, followed by a BBQ on the remote island of Agios Fokas. Explore the island of Spinalonga with its Venetian, Turkish and Arabic monuments just across from the resort and finish your day with an authentic Greek dinner at Blue Door, the tavern right at water’s edge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Starwood EMEA, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Palace Hotel Elounda
- Blue Palace Resort And Spa
- Blue Palace Resort & Spa
- Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Elounda, Crete