We (married couple in our 50's) just had (mid Sept 12) a week break here and couldn't really fault anything. We had a superior bungalow sea view room. Very spacious, large comfortable bed, sofa nice bathroom and a large balcony with a view of the bay and Spinalonga Island to die for. (They also do rooms with private pools but the main swimming pools are so large and accessible not sure the private pool would be worth the extra unless you really want the privacy - but they are not secluded and many are overlooked a bit by the furnicular in which nearly all guests go up to reception/down to the beach). From the minute we arrived until we left the service throughout was fantastic. Everywhere is spotless.
The breakfast has a ridiculously large selection of anything you could want served overlooking the bay either inside (if you want a/c) or out - even complimentary champagne if you want it.
There are 4 other restaurants although we didn't try the italian and only ate in the asian once but the Grill room (Flame) and the Greek Taverna are both excellent. If you get fed up being in the hotel, Elounda is a 5 min (7euro) cab ride where there are lots of restaurants around a nice harbour. You can also walk 5/10 mins along the beach to a little village (Plaka) with restaurants and gift shops etc.
Then there is the private beach - rocky so no sand getting everywhere but boardwalks between all the well spaced out sunbeds so no having to walk on the pebbles etc. There is a floating pontoon for easy access to the crystal clear (another benefit of no sand) sea which is always calm due to the very sheltered bay. There are the usual water sports available including diving. If you don't want the sea the pools are huge, clean and lovely with a choice of saltwater or normal. Towels are not only provided at the beach but brought to your loungers and layed out for you in whatever direction you prefer for sun or shade. Drinks served at the beach bar or waitress to your sun lounger.
There is really good spa and a decent gym.
Our one mistake was booking through Olympic who managed to mess up the only 2 things they had to do (meeting us at the airport with a transfer - which is a 1 hour drive) and collecting us at the end from the hotel).
Will definitely go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blue Palace, Resort and Spa is a place of rediscovery. A member of the Condé Nast Traveler Gold List 2013, this luxury resort with exceptional charm, architecture and style, is the perfect hideaway to experience island luxury accommodations, authentic cuisine and the breathtaking beauty of a Greek island. Crete is a magical place. Spend a day exploring old villages, wineries and the ancient Palace of Knossos or simply unwind with cocktails under the enchanting arches of the Arsenali Lounge Bar. Get on board the traditional wooden boat “Meraki” which will take you around the coast of Elounda, followed by a BBQ on the remote island of Agios Fokas. Explore the island of Spinalonga with its Venetian, Turkish and Arabic monuments just across from the resort and finish your day with an authentic Greek dinner at Blue Door, the tavern right at water’s edge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Starwood EMEA, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Palace Hotel Elounda
- Blue Palace Resort And Spa
- Blue Palace Resort & Spa
- Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Elounda, Crete