“Utterly relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   PO Box 38, Elounda, Crete 72 053, Greece   |
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Elounda
“Utterly relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Have just returned from a lovely week at the hotel and would highly recommend the resort. Beautiful setting and spotless, comfortable facilities made for a completely relaxing holiday. There are several pool areas to choose from and a lovely beach area that is exclusive to the hotel. All the staff were very helpful and welcoming. The spa is a welcome addition and provides high quality treatments. I had a facial, an olive oil massage and a pedicure during the stay and all were excellent. Sauna, pool, jacuzzi and gym are also available in the spa and can be used for free throughout the day and evening by hotel guests.
There are several reastaurants, but the Greek taverna style restaurant right next to the sea was our favourite - the food was so fresh and the portions very generous, so courses can be easily shared. It is also easy to walk into the local village of Plaka, which is around 10 minutes away along the beach. There is a small well-stocked supermarket and many good local restaurants there too - all serving a great selection of fish and seafood.

Because the hotel is laid out in several areas over a hillside it never felt crowded, even though we were there in high season. Naturally as a five star facility it is expensive, especially with the current Euro exchange rate. However, the standard of service and setting made it worth it in my view. I haven't felt this relaxed on return from a holiday in a long time. The only improvement I would suggest is to the fridges in the bedrooms. These appear to switch off when the room key is removed so that mini bar drinks and any personal bottles stored there are seldom very cold. But other than that we were very satisfied with our stay and look forward to returning again. I would even consider staying there as a single woman for a quiet break (as I saw several others did). It is easy to arrange to hire a car or to join trips around the island, but is also a good environment to be able to relax without any hassle.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
sotikre, Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

It was a delight reading your review on your recent stay at the Blue Palace. Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and for highly recommending us to fellow reviewers.
Making our guests feel welcome and well cared for is our highest priority and I am very glad that you experienced the level of service and attention that you expected.
I am also very appreciative of your comments regarding our staffs’ efforts in making your stay even more special and I will make sure to pass on your compliments to all the teams that took care of you.
Reference the mini bar fridge you mention, may I kindly note that the mini bar and the TV do not stop operating when the room key card is removed from the slot. However, thank you for bringing this up as I have already arranged for the relevant department to look into it in case of malfunction.
Once again, many thanks for choosing to stay with us and I hope I will get the chance to welcome you again to our resort.

Sotiris Kremastiotis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
los altos
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Blue Palace is a lovely resort, it is not outstanding.
Certain aspects met our expectations for a world class luxury resort; in particular the view and the service levels. The spa and the daily Cretan breakfast were also very special. In contrast, the rooms and on-site restaurants are nice, but not fabulous. The lack of free Wi-fi everywhere except the lobby is annoying and seems like a counter-productive way to extract extra money from guests.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
sotikre, Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the feedback about your stay with us.
I was glad to read that the majority of your stay with us was satisfactory. I appreciate you highlighting the areas that can be improved as every observation is extremely valuable and helpful to us.
I am looking forward to welcoming you again to the Blue Palace.

Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

This hotel deserves it's 5stars. The rooms are lovely and clean. The beaches are beautiful. The beach is pebbles but with the wind we experienced I would rather pebbles Vs. Sand. we enjoyed all of the restaurants, they were all fabulous! The water sports available at the beach are a bit expensive but great for families.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room away from funicular.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review on your recent stay at the Blue Palace Resort & Spa. Your comments inspire us to continue offering our very best services when it comes to taking care of our guests.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My girlfriend and I were there last summer for a week. The resort is a great place if you are looking for a relaxing time. Rooms are modern, big, clean and with amazing sea views. The resort has 4 different restaurants and all of them offer great variety and quality (greek one was our favourite one). The only thing we missed it was a bigger swimm area but still quite OK.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback in regards to your stay at the Blue Palace Resort & Spa. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our restaurants and thoroughly loved your time with us.
Hopefully you will give us the chance to welcome you back in the near future for another pleasant experience.

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Really boring but I will have to give 5* to this hotel. The staff were very attentive without being intrusive. The rooms were great although we did decide that having a room with the private pool was probably unnecessary as the pool was very small and I think we only went in once to cool down! Breakfast was one of our favourite meals - there was plenty to choose from hot or cold from the buffet. We had the choice of all the restaurants and the food was very good in each although the Asian and the Italian were probably our favourite. One thing we hadn't expected was that some days were quite windy but it didn't spoil our enjoyment. We were disappointed with our visit to Spinalonga which was less than 5 minutes away by speed boat as they hadn't really taken advantage of this wonderful site and so there was no real information (I would suggest people read up on it before going because there is no indication as to what is what!). Based on our visit to Spinalonga we decided to just stay at the hotel and enjoy the food, pool, gym and tennis. Although we didn't use the spa the range of treatments look good. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Not sure I would bother with the rooms with the private pool
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
sotikre, Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recommending the Blue Palace Resort & Spa.
I was so pleased to read that you were satisfied with our staff, the food and the hotel.
May I take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at the Blue Palace and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future for another memorable holiday.

Londonfroggielover
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Six of us (parents, in-laws and my wife and I) travelled to the Blue Palace in July for a week of sun and relaxation and for the most part we were very pleased with our choice. I emailed the hotel in advance to ask for rooms close to the beach and book dinner for our first night and my requests were all handled politely and efficiently. We arrived at the hotel on a blisteringly hot Cretan day and being met by the friendly staff with an ice cold glass of water was a welcome site. We were given a small tour of the hotel facilities on a golf buggy and our bags met us at our room. We booked three superior bungalows with private pools, and while I agree with other reviewers that they don't give a huge amount of privacy it is lovely to be able to enjoy the spectacular views of Spinalonga while dipping your feet in the pool. We spent much of our time on the beach and were impressed with the towel service and the friendly staff (a common theme of the hotel). The only issue we found with the beach (and the main pool) was that for those slightly less able it wasn't particularly easy to get out of the water. Both pool and sea only have a ladder for entry and exit and as the steps do not descend very far into the water this can make it difficult to get out. I wouldn't advise trying to enter the sea via the wooden walkways as they are uneven and slippery when you get to the water's edge. The one other issue we found on the beach was that it was difficult for two people to get shade under the fixed umbrellas - the hotel should think about this issue as we often had to get two sets of beds for each couple to ensure shade was available.

We were on a half board package at the hotel so we ate at all the restaurants during our stay. Most days we took our half board as an evening meal, but we did have lunch on two occasions so that we could visit Plaka and Elounda. Both towns are worth a visit, but I couldn't say we were blown away with the meal we had in either town and we also didn't find it particularly cheap. Of the 4 restaurants we preferred Asia Blue to the others, but to be honest I find it hard to believe that other reviewers found any problems with the quality of the food. We had delicious meals in all restaurants with the fillet steak in Flame being a particular highlight. Service wasn't always perfect, but nothing bad enough to mention on this review. We booked a table each morning for the same evening and this never caused us any issues - given there were six of us I can't imagine having problems getting a table as a couple. Most evenings we had a drink in the main bar next to reception before dinner. The prices are high as you expect from a hotel, and the service was extremely slow. Given the bar was never full we could never understand why it took so long. I think the hotel could look to drop the prices (especially on non-alcoholic cocktails which were extortionate) and needs to work on the speed of service.

Now to the one main problem we had with the hotel - the funicular railway. We found it completely unreliable, and extremely hot. We actually had to complain about it 8 times during our stay - either for breaking down while we were inside, for the doors not opening at our stop, or for getting trapped in the door (which happened to me and my father-in-law on different occasions). The doors actually slammed on me while I was entering and if it had been a child or my pregnant wife the hotel could have had a potential legal case. I spoke to the manager (when he was finally available - to be honest the management are almost invisible in the hotel - not in a good way) about this and the doors did seem to be fixed after our conversation.

Although we obviously had some complaints we still had a thoroughly enjoyable holiday. The rooms are very well equipped, the views are truly spectacular, the hotel is spotlessly clean and on the whole the food is excellent. Many of the staff (management excluded) are extremely friendly and helpful and Stavros in the Italian restaurant deserves special praise for the level of service he gave us throughout our stay! The funicular is enough to put us off staying again, but I would still classify the hotel as "worth a visit".

Room Tip: Bungalows with pools numbered 131-137 are closest to the beach, and more private than those visible...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
sotikre, Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for the time and effort you put into sharing your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay in Blue Palace Resort & Spa.
It is deeply regrettable that your stay with us did not fully meet your expectations however I was glad to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate your very rewarding compliments regarding the food in our restaurants with special mention to Flame.
With regards to the funicular although we have not had any other complaints of this kind I have already informed the relevant department who will definitely look into it.
We welcome any kind of constructive criticism from our guests as it will help us get better at what we do. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced while staying with us and for the areas we fell short of your expectations.
Hopefully this will not overshadow your entire experience in the Blue Palace and you will give us the chance to welcome you again to our resort for another unforgettable experience.

london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed at Blue Palace Resort & spa for 12 nights.
Pros: Beautiful natural scenery, clean, good sized rooms, good clean beach and pools with sea water, polite staff, nice architecture
Cons: Way too expensive for what it is. Terrible, un-edible expensive food at hotel's restaurants.
Rather slow service at the beach bars. Dreadful funicular lift with no proper air-con, which is not possible to avoid as it is the only way of getting around the resort. There is no entertainment and after a few days it gets really boring to be there. Breakfast is of average quality which is the same every day. Extremely overpriced spa services.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your comments after your recent stay at the Blue Palace. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the location, your room, the beach and that our staff took good care of you. However, I was concerned to read that the beach bar service and our breakfast buffet were not up to your standards. With regards to the funicular may I kindly note that should a guest not wish to use it we are always happy to offer a lift wherever you wish with a club car.
Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience caused during your stay with us and for the areas we fell short of your expectations. Again, I highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do and I truly hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Blue Palace in the future.

Sotiris Kremastiotis

Been to Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!