“Definitely worth a visit” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Agia Paraskevi, Elounda, Crete 72053, Greece   |
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Elounda
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Definitely worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was a great experience from initial contact to the end of our holiday. I exchanged e mails with staff who arranged the following on request, transport to and from the airport ( a bit expensive I thought) flowers delivered to the hotel for my lady friend, free transport to a sister hotel for our last night as the hotel was closing that day.
We started the last week of the season so we were a bit worried but needn't have been. The staff were always friendly and helpful. The food was varied and good quality. Rooms were clean and maintained daily. It's about a 15 minute walk into the village of Elounda. The Ferryman in the harbour is well worth a visit. If you are not very mobile then this is not the place for you as there are steep climbs to your accommodation. There is a buggy available on request but if you are in the top section then it's not much use. Reception very helpful with information on available tours, bus times etc. Kostas and Eva in the main and Asian restaurants were also very helpful and courteous. I would like to think I would go back again but would probably hire a car as transport is not very frequent e.g. the bus could take up to 3 hours to get to Heraklion as it goes to Agios Nikolaos first where you then may have to wait to catch a connecting bus to Heraklion. A car would do it in about an hour. Adults only is definitely a plus.
It appeared there was an audit of staff whilst we were there but amazingly we and other guests were a bit surprised we were not asked for any opinions/comments.

Room Tip: If you are not very mobile look for accommodation on the lower rooms
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

stayed here early oct, the food was of good quality and changed daily, friendly staff always smiling, lovely views from the mountains to the left and spinolonga to the right. rent a vehicle if your at top of the hotel its a hike to the beach and back, you can drive to the top and park up, prefebly a quad its steep, and theres a bit of a problem with small fly in the bathroom they come through the drain a bit annoying but was out most of the day, few english tv channels would be advantageous, other than that good trip,

Largs, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We spent two weeks at this hotel in mid October 2012. We had read many mixed reports and were a bit nervous. Needn't have been. We didn't pay extra for our own pool and I am glad we didn't. We were in an upper floor and could see right into the two pools below. I would not have wanted the folk above looking down into my pool. We had a room on level 2 - room 221 and had a lovely view from our balcony. Couldn't fault the staff or the food. We did find the twenty minute walk into Elounda a bit long in hot weather but it wasn't very expensive for a taxi. We hired a car for three days and would recommend that. All in all a very enjoyable holiday with all the facilities which you would need. Child free and music free - a bonus for us.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Elounda Blu at the end of July 2012 and found the hotel to be excellent.
We were greeted on arrival and made to feel very welcome and were shown our room which involved a ride on a golf buggy as we were staying at level 4. This is a steep climb with level 5 being the highest but the views from our room were magical and all the way down to Spinalonga. Elounda Blu is approx 20 minutes walk from Elounda centre but there is a good walkway and it is well lit at night,good pavements are scarce in Greece.

The room itself was very spacious with a large living area with balcony, good sized bedroom and ensuite.I do feel that the internal walls require some paint and the bathroom could do with a complete overhaul.Water pressure from the shower was a joke which we complained about and said it would be fixed but during our week it remained the same.

Pool area looks bigger in the photographs and beds are at a premium. Why do so many people insist in getting up early and reserving sunbeds and then not use them until lunchtime? The hotel needs to be more active in removing towels from sunbeds that are not being used.
The bar area at the pool was expensive for drink but the restaurant at lunchtime served good food at reasonable prices. There is also an onsite shop which has a good selection of soft drink,beer,some wine, souvenirs, crisps,chocolate etc.

We were on half board basis which we rarely do but found the hotel food to be of a reasonable standard with a good choice of dishes both locally and international. Sit outside for wonderful sunsets and some needed fresh air.
Most nights we would have a drink in the lounge and found Nektarios (excuse the spelling) a fantastic and very friendly barman who made some excellent cocktails (8 / 9 euros).

When staying at Elounda make sure you walk round the bay to Ipanema beach bar where you will see the sexiest barmaids and enjoy some nice cocktails whilst listening to cool tunes being played by the DJ,a very chilled and happening place,many Greeks went here at the weekend and the small beach gets very busy.Whilst not cheap but very relaxing.
TIP:Stay off the 4 poster beds unless you want to be charged 20 euros.

All in all,a great holiday in Elounda and I would recommend Elounda Blu. We then went onto Koutoulafari for our 2nd week,see review of Marni Village.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views but to avoid the hill ask for rooms on level 1 or 2.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Drobak, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Splendid view from dining room and pool area. Food (we had all inclusive) was very good for being what it is - not an a la carte restaurant though.
Clients were in general rather old during our stay. Surprisingly, since the hotel is situated in a steep hill. Not a good place for those with weak legs! But in the bar at night some cool people came out. I have no idea where they were during the day, but not in the hotel areas for sure. We had some fun times there.
Elounda is in any other way a VERY nice place to stay, and for the price we paid Elounda Blu was indeed the best offer at the time. The ocean in the bay is probably also a bit warmer than the ocean outside, so for a late fall visit I would choose Elounda again for sure. I wouldn't mind staying at Blu one more time either. A deserved 4/5 points from me. Nothing to complain about, really. Could be a lack of party factor of course. But then that's a choice, not for everyone.

Room Tip: Get a room as near the pool area as possible - otherwhise some long & steep walks many times a d...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Kenilworth, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

this is a splendidly located hotel with holiday poster views ,friendly staff,good food at night ,although hot buffet style there is good choice and some proper Greek ,Cretan specialities Rabbit Stifado ,Hortas etc.We were always amazed that so many people prefered to eat inside by the buffet instead of outside looking across the bay to the island of Spinalonga beneath the starry sky.Lucky they did I suppose otherwise we might have not got a favourite table.We would go back like a shot as it was a lovely relaxing holiday in a lovely spot.A warning to the weary it can be a bit of a climb .. but that sort of goes hand in hand with the view if you see what I mean... its not too bad as I managed without too much moaning but if you have mobility problems ,well ,you have been gently warned

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Before reading on bear in mind the writer is in his late 70s, reaonably active, but his tastes in entertainment tend to be Mozart, Beethoven, arias from grand opera, or a bit of trad jazz played quietly in a corner. He detests pop, disco, and similar rubbish at any volume.

This hotel is built on the precipitous side of what seems to be a mountain. To be fair they do warn that the place is not suitable for those with walking difficulties. The access up from the private and immaculate shingle beach is across a road and up a drive so steep that the front wheel of cars tended to spin on the crazy paved type drive (in one area in the upper reaches I gave up and reversed down). It must be even more difficult if wet. The rooms are built as terraces. The first 2 floors can be reached by lift, thereafter the next three are by Shanks Pony, up stone steps and more crazy paved pavements. I was told that there was a tennis court on a sixth level, but god knows how anyone would have the energy to play having climbed up there. There are areas of stone steps which I would consider dangerous given that there are no handrails to protect one from falling over the edge. Our room was fine (No. 308) apart from the climb to reach it, particularly after meals. It was mentioned that some refurbishment was taking place (work in progress they mentioned) but this was not intrusive and seemed to be related to decorations, replacement curtain systems, picture hanging and a bit of balcony work. We had asked for a sea view, and we got a view across the bay to Spinalonga. The roofs of the lower terrace with their air conditioning equipment were on view also, but this is probably unavoidable. The furnishings were comfortable and with plenty of wardrobe space (though I did hear someone say they did not have enough in their room). My only real complaint, and it applies right around the hotel, is the inadequate lighting if one wishes to read.
The meals on offer were very good (even for one who is not keen on Greek food) with a variety of choices at all mealtimes. One has the choice of indoor or outdoor dining and in addition a grill bar and Asian food bar are available. Drinks tended to be a bit expensive, but then again the hotel aims to be a bit upmarket. One bonus.....no kids allowed !!
The lounge and bar areas had one peculiarity. I have never been anywhere that the furniture is obviously chosen for style rather than comfort. Beware the metal bucket type seats in the lounge, they cut off the blood circulation to the lower legs ! All the seating seemed too low and was a nightmare to get out of once ensconed in it.
Without doubt the hotel has the best staff I have ever come across in my travels, from the porters who carried ones cases to and from the rooms on arrival and departure, to the waiters, bar staff, and reception staff, and from the chambermaids to the managers, all were superb. Even the maintenance chaps were helpful. Nothing seemed to be to much trouble for them, they were helpful, competent, always friendly and a pleasure to meet and talk with. I cannot speak too highly of them.
In my case I hired a car for the entire period I was there from Europeo Cars.Com who delivered and collected the car to and from the hotel (from Heraklion) at a price about a third less than most quoted. This enabled me to get around places not offered by the tour companies. Both Elounda and Plaka are easily reached from the hotel and whereas the major tour operators charge maybe 35 to 40 euros for a trip to Spinalonga (the ex-leper island) one can get a boat from Plaka for 8 or maybe 10 from Leounda. The same will be true for other trips to other destinations. I did not sample the bus services or the little road trains that run up and down the main road but they seemed to be popular.
The entertainment offered was, of its type, of very good standard and was quite well supported so far as I could tell. My lady companion was most impressed with some female dance trio (but Fred and Ginger and their chorus lines never did anything for me). The "Cretan Day" which happens once a week was also something they could keep so far as I was concerned. The hideous cacophony set up by some "singers" in the dining area was enough to curdle the fruit juices and milk. Even the waiters were noted to grimace once or twice !
It is 20 years or more since I was last in Crete. Aghios Nikolas (Ag Nik) has grown so much I did not recognise the place, or wish toreturn to it again. Elounda is a really pleasant small town. I doubt that shall return to the Elounda Blu hotel again, not because I disliked the hotel, it was great in most respects, but I am just too old to be a mountain goat.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the first or second floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sentido Elounda Blu? Share your experiences!