“Excellent hotel, beautiful location” 5 of 5 stars

Aquila Elounda Village Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box 16, Elounda, Crete 72053, Greece   |
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Elounda
wales
“Excellent hotel, beautiful location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks in August. We booked the All inclusive on the Mythica package with shared pool which was great.The views from our bungalow over the bay was beautiful.
Food in all restaurants, especially the Mirabello was very good and choice of drinks on the all inclusive was fine, can't understand what others complain about. The staff at this hotel are excellent and friendly and the service we had was brilliant.
Spa treatment was very relaxing and not expensive, cost wise on par with the UK.
Yes we were there with the large group of Europeans, mentioned in another review, but we just thought it was hilarious and didn't let it spoil our time there.
best tip I can give is book the VIP package with the return flight, it just saves the hassle of endless queuing, although the lounge itself can become over crowded as its very small.
I would definitely go back without any hesitation.

Room Tip: It is worth booking the Mythica package as the room are lovely, plenty of room, bright and airy, and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Polish first
Lincolnshire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed for a week in August. Good flight (paid for extra leg room), long wait at the airport for transfer then an hour transfer on a double decker with no air con! Meet and greet very good, we had the Mystica package so a bit extra. We fell really lucky with the room ( 462 ) own pool which was double the size of the other rooms with own pool so could actually do a few strokes b4 hitting the side. Blocked views of the sea although you could see between the gaps of the rooms in front. Room very nice, clean, spacious, bath robes, towelling slippers, tea and coffee tray, safe, shower and bath, twin sinks, champagne on arrival, stocked fridge, Wine and water supplied every other day, Daily newspaper delivered to room, plenty of cupboards and wardrobes although no drawers, tv with very few English channels but sun shone so who cares, sun deck, ironically, in the shade most of the day so get a lilo from the shop to sun bathe on. Beach towels provided. Main restaurant food had lots of choices although food not hot just warm, Mirabella Restaurant very very nice. We went half board as I'm not a big drinker but cocktails very dear, beer better on half board, its weaker on all inclusive, Very busy around the sun beds and sea so was very very glad we opted for the room with pool as we spent most of the days around there. Staff nice and efficient although head barman could be abrupt and was unapproachable, literally. Elounda village 3k up the road very nice for an evening out. Ate at the Ferryman Restaurant, nice food and excellent service. People with sun glasses on in the dark type place. The best 37 Euro each we spent was on the return flight. We went VIP which meant no queuing to check in, security or x-ray machines, we were whisked through all 3 then taken to the VIP lounge for free coffee and snacks. We were then fetched for our flight and taken to the front of the queue again and not once hassled or jostled. If this is travelling first class BRING IT ON. Guys, just do it but get in quick as there was 3 or 4 flights checking in and only 30 places total in the VIP lounge. First book first served. Would I go back, no, only because I prefer small hotels but the area was lovely.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms with the private pools, no cattle marketing around the hotel pool or sea area.
Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I really wanted to give this Hotel 5 out of 5 but if a 5 is ‘perfect’ then I’m afraid this Hotel fell short in a number of areas. What I found worrying was that whilst the management were keen to engage with guests to understand what could be done better, their response to suggestions were generally met with a defensive attitude and an unwillingness to acknowledge that things could be better. That said, overall my wife and I enjoyed our stay but unfortunately would not stay at this hotel again which is sad, as so many aspects were lovely.

Pricing - Is not clear and it could be argued that it is purposely this way to generate more revenue. Example; If you are on HB and choose to book to eat in one of the two Al a Carte restaurants, the guide included with your welcome pack states that you will receive a 12 euro refund per person as you are not eating in the main restaurant. We did this only to find that this did not apply on a theme night. Nowhere does it say this however when I queried this at reception I was told that it was already included in the advertised price of the theme night. I asked where it stated this and the explanation was that the price quoted for guests on Bed and Breakfast was higher and if I calculated the difference I would see that the discount was already applied. Sorry, but why would I even look at what other guests would be charged? Why not just make it clear on the welcome pack and the leaflet advertising the theme night? This was never about me feeling cheated out of 24 Euros as I spent over 1k Euros during my stay but more about feeling cheated. Incidentally I did not receive a 24 Euro credit!

Beach – The beach was filthy and sis not justify a blue flag. I accept that the rubbish had come from elsewhere and due to the nature of the design of the beach it will attract debris, but only when it got really bad and people complained (and started to take pictures) did the Management arrange for it to be cleaned. Many guests helped in picking out rubbish from the sea and placing it on the side however this was often not collected so simply blew back in. This should be cleaned daily.

Large Groups – This is advertised as a couples retreat however they do take bookings from large groups. You can understand this for wedding groups and I would certainly not have any complaints with that but unfortunately we stayed at the same time as a group of 20+ loud, obnoxious, arrogant and rude guests. I will not refer to their nationality (NOT British) as I would not wish to generalise however these people were just unsavoury to other guests and staff, many of whom were verbally abused, threatened and in one case physically abused.

Smoking – Our European cousins ignored any restriction in place and often smoked regardless if you were eating or not. I find it incredible that a Hotel offering Spa Wellbeing allows this. Areas should be set aside for those wishing to smoke and signage in areas where it should not be allowed.

Reception – Very good and excellent service. I had 2 requests, one for a mattress topper as I found the bed very hard. This was fitted on the same day. The other was to ask for Milk and no cartons had been left. Within 10 minutes this was solved and we never ran out of milk again (50 cartons in the fridge)

Lobby Bar – Excellent service, prompt and always with a smile.

Beach Bar – can be busy and at such times waitresses will be given priority serving guests sat down rather than those purchasing drinks to take back down to the beach.

Room – Bungalow. Lovely room with a great view of the sea and the nearby golf course.

Access – Yes there are steps but not onerous. If you have walking difficulties then you can telephone reception and they will send you a golf buggy to pick you up.

Gym – Small but functional and free water.

Spa – Not used but staff seemed very attentive and the treatment rooms looked of good standard.

Food – Other than the 1 occasion in the al a carte, we ate in the main restaurant. The food was excellent and the staff superb. They deserved a medal for having to handle the large group previously referred to and other guests from the same country who shared similar traits.

Thompson Rep – Good lad but like most others had a future career elsewhere. I did feel sorry for him when he was publicly told off by the Guest Relations officer from the hotel. Something about arranging for guests to move rooms (due I believe to smoking coming in from the corridor). To quote the relations officer; “I do not want to know about showers that do not work or Ants in rooms but I do need to know when a guest requests to be moved as they are now refusing to pay extra” Whilst I would not wish to comment on the case I think that the conversation would have been better had in private.

VIP Airport – In my opinion well worth it. From getting off the coach to sitting in the air conditioned executive lounge with unlimited drinks and food took exactly 7 minutes!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
RithymnaBeach, Marketing Coordinator at Aquila Elounda Village Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your comments regarding your stay in our Hotel. We always welcome any criticism, in the process of making our Resort better. However, we would like to answer on your statement regarding Aquila Elounda Village.

Our Management and personnel are always ready to listen and give solutions to all kind of issues that might arise, as we tried to do in your case as well. Additionally we would like to thank you for your very positive comments regarding our personnel and the service you have received throughout your stay for both the Front Office Desk of our Hotel and our Restaurants and Bars

We have tried to explain and resolve your issue with pricing even in person, however, when you were originally presented with the bill during one of our theme nights you gladly paid the bill in cash, only to come to the Reception a week later to address this matter. the Hotels policy states that Vouchers are provided for lunch when HB guests desire to change their dinner at any given day for lunch. Our vouchers for dinner states clearly that this is not applied for any of our Theme Nights. Additionally, and with regards to the meal basis of each guest, we do provide the appropriate information as for what is included in your meal basis and what is not. We have never before had any argument from any of our guests that our literature is not clear. Every guide describes what is included for each basis, so therefore it stands to reason that since something is not written or mentioned it is not included. Moreover, all our fryers for all the Theme Nights write clearly what the pricing will be for attending each one as a guest on a HB Basis.

Our beach is cleaned at least twice a day. Guest and also a number of Environmental Organizations have congratulate us and given us a number of awards regarding the quality of both our sea water and our beach cleanliness. however, as you mention yourself, the debris on the surface of the sea is not a issue that we can fight only by ourselves and it does not affect only our hotel but all the Hotels in the region when there is very strong south winds.

Our Hotel is very intimate and relaxing. The group you refer to was not big and did not stay too long. With regards to their attitude, as you know, our personnel is always polite and calm, however, unfortunately, we cannot patronize any of our guests for their attitude. However, we regret that the impolite attitude of our guest affect other guest's experience within our premises. Regarding smocking, we would like to inform you that it is not allowed in any of the indoor areas. Greek legislation is very strict regarding this matter and, therefore, the Hotel is obliged to implement the defined rules and regulations . However, any outside area is permitted to smokers.

Finally, we would like to stop at the comment you have enclosed in your review regarding the Thomson Rep in our Hotel. We do consider very presumptuous the fact that you have taken one quote as it has be heard by you, taking it out of context and accusing therefore our Hotel of inconsideration and discourtesy towards our co-workers. In order to set the record straight for the rest of the readers of this website, the incident you refer to took place at the area of the Guest Relation Desk, but none of our Guest Relations personnel was involved. The conversation was between the Thomson's Rep and the person responsible for the rooms allocation, as a continuation to a prior issue which was raised due to a lack of information between Thomson and the Hotel's Management. At no point was there a mention made to any additional price or charges with regards to that.

Nevertheless, we would like to thank you once again for your comments and remarks.

Best regards,

Michalis Dialynas
Cheshire,England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed for a week in August, and partly due to room tips on this website, we chose a Seaview bungalow and we were very happy with our choice. The panoramic view across the bay from our balcony was fantastic, and broadly on a par with the vista from the large decking outside the Lounge Bar area, which was another of our favourite places in the hotel.
We decided to upgrade to AI halfway through our week and felt this gave us the best combination. We enjoyed days and nights out in the first few days in Elounda and Ag Nic.,and then we could lay back and enjoy the cocktails for the last few days without worrying about the 9.60 Euro pricetag.
The AI decision was made easier by the relatively high and consistent quality of the food and service at all three restaurants.
We did have a close look at the swim up rooms from smaller shared pools in front of some of the bungalows, and found that many were directly overlooked by the bungalow above and had limited amounts of sunshine, so we really couldn't see the point of this option. If you really want a private pool, rent a villa instead.

Staffordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend booked our holiday through Thomson and were very impressed from start to finish! We were half board and had a room in the main hotel (room 212)...we didn't book a sea view but had one - which was an added bonus! This really is a beautiful and relaxing hotel with fantastic and friendly staff! The food was always lovely and our one complementary meal in the Symposium was incredible! I just wish we had booked for more than 1 week! If you are looking for a totally relaxing break this is the place!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hotel and setting are great. Staff are both welcoming and helpful. Our room, bungalow with pool was clean, spacious and had a lovely view. We stayed half board and did the Greek night for an additional €30 per person. Spent €400 on drinks and bar snacks. Sunbeds were readily available but needed to get down by 9 30 daily to get best spot. The lagoon and sea were good to swim in but lagoon seemed to gather lots of plastic sheet waste depending on the tide and wind. Only downside to the holiday was a group of 50 french people. Rude and arrogant to both fellow holiday makers and hotel staff. Apparently they come in August every year, so be warned! The air con in the rooms is quiet and great. Hair dryer was not very good but was replaced with a modern powerful replacement within a day. We ate in the main restaurant which was buffet style. Lots of choice of good quality food. The evening entertainment was good but the ambience in the bar was a bit quiet and formal for our liking. Long trousers rule in main bar applies from 4pm. This to us was silly as we never seen anyone in there before 7pm. We couldn't even get a cocktail to buy and take to our room. 5 staff and no customers but wouldn't sell a drink, rules are rules! Would I go back tomorrow? Yes I would

• Stayed August 2013
Wiltshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed from the 18th july till 1st august. We were halfboard and had rooms 808 and 809 within the olive garden.The triple room which housed my mother and my 2 daughters was spacious and the third bed was a proper bed not some rickety putup one.Both rooms suited us perfectly, well equipped, plenty of toiletries in bathroom,bathrobes and slippers, beach towels in a beach bag, while on arrival a bottle of water and wine.Air conditioning worked very well. Bed, very comfortable and nice and wide.Lovely patio area with table and chairs plus clothes drying rack. Lovely view of the neighbouring golf course and the mountains and the shoreline beyond. Yes there is a halfbuilt hotel next door but apparently it has been like that for 20 years and there are so many other fabulous views, it really did not bother us. There are lovely hammocks in the olive garden. The gardens are immaculate, staff working on them everyday. Plenty of wooden bins dotted around which are regularly emptied. The communal ares of the hotel are all very spacious and tastefully decorated, look out for the display cabinet near the jewellery shop which contains all sorts of old potions and powders and interesting bits and pieces, open the drawers enjoy! Good assortment of books housed in the computer room. Infinity pool lovely to cool down, while if you are a lengths person then go down to the beach and swim in the sheltered cove area. The sunbeds stretch right to the end of the walled jetty, while tiered decking accomodates more. Plenty of sunbeds around pool and stacks of blue beds if needed, theses blue ones do not have lounger cushions. Beach bar, mirabello and restrooms a short walk down the steps from pool. The views are magical.Main restaurant is very spacious and large variety of foods all beautifully presented and displayed, if a particular dish had finished, a few minutes and it was being replenished. We took the local bus which stops at the hotel steps to Elounda and Aghios,a great service, details from reception. Now to the staff!! Absolutely fantastic!!! So very professional and approachable, nothing is too much trouble. My mother had a little accident and the concern and organisation of care for her was truly exceptional and we are so very grateful for that, and all the staff involved,thankyou so very much. Now on to the thomson rep, Luke,once again, fabulous, so professional and courteous, a very good choice by Thomson. Summing up, this hotel gets full marks,we cannot fault anything or anyone and will be recommending this superb destination to all. p.s. to the lovely lady and her husband who gave us a bottle of wine when they left, thankyou and cheers!!!!!! Happy Holidays!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Aquila Elounda Village Hotel? Share your experiences!