“One of our best holiday experiences” 5 of 5 stars

Domes of Elounda Boutique Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Tsifliki, Elounda, Crete 72053, Greece   |
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Elounda
London
“One of our best holiday experiences”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

I have just returned from a 7 night stay and I have to say it has been one of the most enjoyable breaks that we have had as a family. I wouldn't suggest you go if you want complete peace and quiet with no children as this is a very family friendly hotel.
Our room had a terrific view of Spinalonga with outside jacuzzi. Room service came twice a day with a fresh bottle of water and I lost count of the number of roses left on our bed. The kids particularly enjoyed the heart shape of sweets that we found one day!
The staff are extremely welcoming and genuine and poolside / beach service was wonderful. The beach strip is narrow but we did not find this a problem and my boys still managed to build a sandcastle fortress by the side of our sunbed. The water is very shallow and crystal clear with pretty little shoals of fishes that are great to watch if you fancy snorkelling. The are no sudden dips or rocks so it was perfectly safe for my children to dip in and out without me panicking. They enjoyed the kids club too which although perhaps better suited to smaller children (mine are between 6-8) still kept themselves amused. It also gave them some independence from us and chance to make new friends which they loved.
I tried the Spa therma experience which was a series of hot and cold steam/sauna/ice treatments with hesitation (I hate being cold!) but thoroughly enjoyed it. My husband and I were the only people in there at the time, it was like having your own personal entourage at your disposal! In fact it would be fair to say that is how all of the staff make you feel.
The buffet breakfast has everything available that you can imagine. If I had to find a downer, and believe me there are not many, they were not that good at providing a hot pot of tea, but then I didn't go there for a mug of english tea! We also ate at their beachside Topos restaurant and it was wonderful. The portions aren't huge but just right so that you are not left feeling stuffed.
Taxis were 7 euros to both Plaka and Elounda, both of which were pleasant to visit, although Plaka had already started to shut down for the end of the season, the little gift shops had virtually gone. A barman in Plaka advised us to ask for a carafe of local wine with our meal as the bottled wine we tried when dining out was not that good and he was right. Unfortunately this wasn't until the end of our holiday!
All in all I came away feeling very pampered and spoilt and will definitely look to return to repeat our little week of luxury at the Domes.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

I traveled to Crete solo recently and spent two days in Elounda. I thought this hotel was very nice, clean and the staff was great. The rooms were also very nice, mine had an outdoor jacuzzi (which I think all of them do). The view was partial of the water, but it was still lovely. I went during the 'low season' so the pool was too cold to swim in, but it was still great to sit outside by it. The beach area is small and rocky, but pretty typical for the Greek Islands.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

Just returned from week long break at the Domes. My review is much along the lines of other reviews. The hotel is very very good but not perfect which I guess is what we expect from a five star.

Location:
The hotel is built into the hillside overlooking the beautiful bay and Spinalonga island. It is a 15 minute walk to the pleasant village of Plaka with its sprinkling of gift shops and tavernas. In the opposite direction it is about 2 miles to the larger resort of Elounda with its pretty quayside, tavernas and shops. 7 Euro in taxi from hotel.
There is nothing else in the immediate vacinity to the hotel.

Hotel;
The hotel is very modern and has some beautiful public areas, great lounges and bars overlooking the bay. The SPA looked very swish although we didn't use it. There is a childrens club which looked very popular. The hotel provide a 'bus stop' service which is basically golf carts which ferry guests from beach/reception areas to the rooms which are up quite steep hills. We used them a few times but tended to just walk up ourselves, not for anyone with mobility difficulties. There are three restaurants, the main one being buffet style which was excellent, although after a week we were getting a little bored of it but I guess that is to be expected. There is also a michellin restaurant on the beach front (Topos). We were lucky to have been given a complimentary dinner there, the food was lovely but portions miniscal, had we been paying the extortionate prices I would have been disappointed.
I, like other reviews, would just like to say how absolutely lovely all the staff were, the customer service training was second to none, particular mention to Savas who went over and above the call of duty to make you feel welcome.

Room:
We had Room 119 which was on the first level with a private pool. I was intitially a little disappointed that the jacuzzi was located in the bathroom as I would have liked it to be outside with the pool as hotel website picture shows. The pools are not heated and being October even though weather warm and sunny the pools were sub zero so outside jacuzzi would be preferable. They are quite small but we were happy with our pool even though in very close proximity to next door's pool but on slightly different level. See my photo. The suite was very nice, bed very comfortable even though as previous review says, not a proper mattress as expected in 5*. The bathroom I found very dark and oppressive and a bit spooky. The rainforest shower (which only blasted out water from half of the nozzle) was located over the jacuzzi and to turn it on we had to climb inside to reach the taps on the other side, anyone having ever climbed in and out of a jacuzzi will know what that felt like. Also no shower curtain soaked the floor everytime used and water never hot enough. We also had water dripping from the ceiling over the wc presumably from room upstairs, we complained and a man was sent to sort it out. He wiped the wall and left. It continued, by the state of the ceiling this was an old problem, we have done our part by reporting, expect ceiling will fall in one day. Excellent aircon system in lounge and bedroom and very quiet at night.

A bit disappointed not a 'proper beach' there is a very narrow strip of 'sand' where the land joins the sea which has the sunbeds. The sand is a dirty brown gravel which is fine for sunbeds but not really for bucket and spades although the children still try, but this is typical of this part of Crete which is fine but not as the hotel website portray. The beach is reached through an underground tunnel from the hotel under the road. We enjoyed our stay very much even though far too many babies and toddlers for our liking especially in the dining room.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

We spent 9 days at Domes of Elounda for our honeymoon with our 10 month old baby and it really was the perfect choice. Our premium suite was fantastic and near the hotel centre which was useful with the baby & pushchair. We had a small private pool and fantastic uninterrupted sea views and of Spinalonga from our veranda.

My husband and I have stayed in many 5 star hotels but this certainly comes near the top if not the top due to the fantastic staff. The main thing was that it was that every single member of staff including the waiters, bar staff, receptionists, cleaners, porters were so genuinely friendly and nice without it being over the top. They were so great with our baby & her eyes would light up when she saw them. We used to spend most of our time at the main pool and felt like we almost had it to ourselves. The beach was peaceful and nice views but not the best. The food at the restaurant was fantastic and ideal for both of us even though I'm a vegetarian I had plenty to choose from.

Plaka is great walking distance to go for some lunch or coffee to break up the day and Elounda was a very easy taxi ride.

I really don't understand one or two of the previous reviews but I guess there is no pleasing some people!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

spent 4 nights at domes and had a great time. top shelf hotel with everything you want in a resort. pool, beach, restaurants. great for families, there were lots of little children with their parents. staff could not be more helpful with all our needs. renting a car is a must if you plan to go anywhere on the island. small town of plaka within walking distance for food and ferry to nearby island.

Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Sometimes it's difficult to put into words how good an experience is. Domes is the best Hotel we have stayed in it has views to die for, great rooms, our suite 116 was superb. The staff are 1st class and deliver great service. Food is v good in the main dining room outstanding at the 1910 resturant. Would and will go back .

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Domes is a wonderful hotel. In many ways it's difficult to fault. The staff were at our beck and call for the whole time and they were always smiling and eager to help. The rooms are incredible. Large and beautifully decorated. The maids came twice a day, (once in the evening to put out your dressing gowns and prepare the bed) and it was spotless.

i was dying to get a room with its own pool but they were all booked up so we got a one bedroom suite with an outdoor jacuzzi. I'm really glad we did because the pools are pretty small and there's not really a massive bathing area so it's probably best just to head to the private beach anyway which was stunning.

Food was consistently brilliant. Enough said.

Facilities were also great. Watersports, pool, amazing spa. I obviously can't recommend this place enough.

The hotel is quite a trip from Elounda, probably about 2 miles, so a car is pretty useful.

Thanks to all the staff who made the trip perfect.

It's definitely not a cheap hotel, (by the way, the best price i could find was on the hotel's own website) but you get what you pay for and it was worth every penny.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Domes of Elounda Boutique Beach Resort? Share your experiences!