“Fabulous Family Holiday!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Elounda
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Family Holiday!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We have just returned from a fantastic holiday at this idealic hotel having spent the last 2 weeks of October there with our 3 children aged 4, 3 & 1. As with most of the reviews we could wax lyrical about the amazing views, the excellent standard of the food, the safe gorgeous beach, the fun kids club and stunning facilities but the thing that makes this hotel are the people ! My children were in total awe of the fantastic staff who knew their names from day one and treated them like part of their family. Special mentions to Maggie, Katerina, Konstantina, Maria, Sergio, Nikos x2, Arti & Christian. They made the kids time so special and allowed us to have as relaxing a holiday as possible given the children's ages! My son Charlie was allowed to help out in all areas of the hotel which he loved and everyone was very patient with him! This is my first review on trip advisor because I haven't had been to a family hotel that I have rated so highly! It would be great for the pools to be heated but this is a minor issue given everything else. We will definitely go back and I am being pushed to buy a golf buggy now we are home!

Room Tip: Try and get a room further up the hill so you are away from the main hotel and pick one with a hot t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Just back from a week at Domes of Elounda. The hotel is wonderful and very luxurious. The staff are extremely helpful. We had champagne on arrival and on our last day. The suites are big and tastefully decorated. Each suite has it's own jacuzzi on the balcony. The views from the pool and the beach are superb.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rome
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Located nearer to Plaka, 10 min walk, than to Elounda, this place is out of the mess and with stunning views to the small island of Spinalonga. The gardens are lush and beautifully designed with Mediterranean flowers all over the place. Every suite has sea view and the further you get up the more privacy your terrace has. Don't worry if you get tired; the young, smiling chaps are always ready to take you to your room in a golf cart!
Staff: rarely I've met such a professional one; smiling, educated, attentive, really at it's best! I wouldn't know wether to mention Dimitris and Evy from the spa, the main waiter at the buffet, rather than the beach boy or the welcome hostess. All knew perfectly well their job, which is what you expect from 5 stars but not always get!
Atmosphere: being the very last days of the season, actually we left on the day they closed(3rd of nov) it was very calm and quite. Therefore I cannot say how noisy it might be in high season being quite a big place but both families and couples can be satisfied as there are "quiet area" both in restaurants and on the beach.
Restaurant: the main buffet is decorated in a very light glass room and I'd guess it is a French interior designer who has taken care of it. Food is good, service as well. Both pool and beach restaurants are perfect too. Many thanks to the piano player at the buffet; he made an atmosphere from times long ago..
A fantastic stay at the end of season, the only thing we missed was other young teens for our two sons but they had fun doing wake boarding with a really good teacher from the water sport at the beach so they were ok.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We booked this holiday through Secret Escapes from the UK. The deal included flights from Gatwick and a private transfer to and from Domes of Elounda. We paid £1000 each.

We greeted by George who took us to the balcony which looks out towards the island of Spinalonga and gave us a glass of champagne and an introduction to the resort, which included a brief tour.

We were then taken to our room where a bowl of fruit and a bottle of wine were awaiting us. We had a beautiful sea view and a lovely balcony with a jacuzzi. The bathroom was well stocked with body wash, shampoo and conditioner, lotion, dental kit and a hairdryer. WiFi was available free throughout the resort.

The buffet meals for breakfast and lunch were generally delicious. We were lucky enough to win the Instagram photo competition for the week and so received a free cocktails well.

The beach was adequate and the water was lovely and warm, (mid October). We hired a pedalo on two separate days and went across to the bay opposite Domes. It was lovely and peaceful over there and there were plenty of fish and other critters to see. On the last day we were given a farewell glass of champagne and some canapes as we sat at the beach, which was a very nice touch.

We booked the tennis court on one of the days and were picked up at our room by golf buggy, which had a esky (cool box) with ice and two bottles of water in it. This was very welcome. Be aware that the tennis court does get booked up so book the day before.

Surrounds; We walked to Plaka, which took about 10 minutes most days and had a coffee at one of the lovely, and cheap, shops there. Two coffees were less than 5 euros in comparison to almost 9 at Domes. We also bought some local Greek wine from the supermarket which was also less than 5 euros and was really tasty. We had wine most evenings on our balcony before heading down to eat as it was a lot cheaper.
We also took a longer walk, around 40 minutes to Elounda, which was pleasant enough and great for buying gifts for friends back home.
If you want to go to Spinalonga, which we'd definitely recommend, you can take a boat from Plaka for 8 euro's return. You can stay on the island for as long as you like. We snuck onto the back of a tour group and listened in to their guide. You can easily do this if you keep an eye on the larger boats arriving on the island

Negatives; (without these I would have rated the resort 5)
It would have been great to have tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Domes management would this be possible in the future?
We had an interesting 'altercation' with the restaurant staff one evening. We had bought a beer each to have with our meal and a bottle of sparkling water. We had not finished our water, which we had paid for, so took the bottle with us when we left. We were stopped as we went to leave and told that it was the hotel policy not to let guests leave the restaurant with food or drinks. My partner got rather annoyed at this and they said that it could be taken up to our room. When we pointed out that we were going straight back there and would take it ourselves we were given some dirty looks. This annoyed both of us. I understand people taking food back but when you've paid for a beverage what's the issue?
We tried to wait until the 'adults' dining time most evenings. Unfortunately many parent's did not see fit to take their children to dine earlier and so most evenings we had children running around our table, yelling etc. Maybe this is acceptable to other parents, but to non-parents it was annoying.
We also didn't have our hand towels replaced on one of the days of your stay. Not a huge problem, but also not something you'd expect in a 5 star hotel.

Overall we had a relaxing stay and got a lovely tan!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chania Town, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

It is very rare to be so very satisfied from the standard of service I happen to receive as a traveller, and also very unexpected to find such, not in a hotel in Dubai or The Maldives, but right here in Crete. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty .

As it was literally a last minute decision and booking, we did not know that it was the last day of the hotel operating for the season. However , nothing seemed any less than perfect from the moment we arrived when a private car escorted us to the reception where two of the reception staff were there to wellcome us , offering us shampagne , sharing some information regarding the area and then finally leading us to the room.

After entering the room , we found a nice bottle of red wine, a basket of fruit and a bottle of olive oil complimentary offered to us . We had booked a garden view suite and were given an upgrade to a full sea view that was much appreciated . It was amazing to have such a great view of Spinalonga island the next day in the morning, that we did not want to leave.

Breakfast was served in a cozy hall , but without a doubt the presence of a piano player performing so early in the morning added to the whole great experience.

If there is anything negative I should mention, that would have to be the wifi that never really worked during our stay , but we did not even take the time to report it .

All in all, I am honestly looking forward to staying in this hotel the next time I visit Elounda , and highly recommend it .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a week at the Domes, with our two daughters aged almost two and almost four. We are now waiting to confirm school holiday dates before booking again for next year! It was amazing! The hotel and it's situation are breathtaking! I could rave about the warm shallow sea of Spinalonga bay, the pinch yourself beauty of sitting by the pool looking at Spinaloga itself, the "ohmygoodness I am going to have to try everything" fabulous food of the restaurant buffet and the picturesque cobbled hill of suite apartments, which make up the hotel accomodation. I am aware however that I could write forever on all of these points and I think the reviews on this website cover them.

I just wanted to pay a tribute to the amazing staff at the Domes. We could not get over how kind and welcoming everybody was. We arrived late at night with two tired children. The hotel had thoughtfully provided some sandwiches and other snack type food in our room, together with water and wine (which we didn't think we could face after the trials of the journey... Turns out we could!). There was a confusion around our booking, but the hotel graciously moved us to one of the two bedroom properties the next day, as soon as one became available. These are amazing, a little way away from the main hotel buildings, but the buggies can zoom you there in a few minutes, and I think this was one of the girls' favourite parts of the holiday!

The hotel is so impossibly glamorous and swish, that I was a bit anxious about how it would work with toddlers in tow. However the whole arrangement has been well thought out. Kids are allowed in the main buffet restaurant only and then only until 8pm. The majority of families are all finished well before 7.30pm. The restaurant food is fabulous and there is a counter of slightly more child friendly meals for any fussy eaters. This counter is lower than the others, so kids can help themselves. Whilst we were there, it was Halloween. So there were jack O'lanterns and other seasonal decorations on this table. All of the restaurant staff are incredibly friendly and professional.

There is similar consideration on the beach where there is a quiet zone right next to the beach bar and then a family friendly stretch of beach, next to the kids club, where all kids can borrow buckets and spades and other toys. When we were there the outdoor pools were too cold (although the sea was fine) but kids are allowed in the spa pool until midday. After this point it is returned to an adult only oasis of calm.

It is perfectly possible for a family to have a fun-filled, bucket and spade, Halloween loving, kid friendly holiday in the same hotel as a couple enjoying child free restaurants, peace and quiet on the beach and luxurious spa treatments in treasured silence. Having said that, I might be biased, but I think watching a couple of three years olds shyly dancing in front of the piano in the evening is a lovely part of being on holiday. I have seen other reviews saying that kids were running riot in the restaurant, all I can say is that whilst we were there, the kids were all having early suppers, so if you can wait until 8.30 you should be fairly certain of peace and quiet.

What makes all of this possible is the stupendous team of staff at the Domes. They all remember the names of the children and greet them with genuine warm affection each day. My kids went from high-fiving hello's on day one, to throwing their arms out for hugs by day 3! Special thanks to Christian, Katerina and Sergio and a massive thanks to Maggie in the restaurant. Watching my girls give Maggie hastily crafted goodbye cards made from paper and scribbled over with felt tips, before saying how much they would miss her, made me choke up!

I had been worried that given there is a crèche and kids club, all children would be absent from the beach and my girls wouldn't have had any playmates, but this wasn't the case at all. There were lots of little ones to make sandcastles with and share toys with.

Anyway I have to go now - need to look at flights for 2014!

Room Tip: The two bedroom properties are slightly removed from the main complex, but are cheaper than the two...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I can't speak highly enough of the attention to detail at the Domes. The staff were incredible. I travel a lot in America and they beat some of the best service I have had over there - and you don't have to tip !

We took our 3 year old with us and were relieved to see that there were many other children there as well. There is a designated children/family area in the restaurant, so we were kept apart from the other hotel guests without children, which is great and spares a lot of extra stress if you have tired little ones with you.

The view from the suites/pool/restaurant/bar is incredible. Like something from a movie set.

I agree with others on the cost of drinks, way over-priced. We bought our own from the supermarket in town.

The private beach isn't particularly sandy, but the water is shallow enough for the kids to paddle about. The bar service on the beach is also incredible.

I don't know who does the staff training at this hotel, but they deserve very high praise as it was a huge reason as to why we will definitely be returning again next year.

Room Tip: The higher you go the better the view ! Golf buggies run all day and night to carry you to your suit...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Domes of Elounda Boutique Beach Resort? Share your experiences!