“Exceptional Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monte Vardia

You added Monte Vardia to your Saves list
Monte Vardia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Akrotiriou & Odyssea Elyti 2, Chania Town, Crete 73100, Greece   |
Ranked #13 of 118 Hotels in Chania Town
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Exceptional Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I spent 4 nights in this hotel last weekm in late June/Early July in 2013. The hotel is run by a family that is 100 percent dedicated to making your stay the most enjoyable it can be.
Upon a call to this hotel with only 2 days notice, Elenee one of the sisters set up a rental car for me had them meet me at the port of Iracklion, where I came in by Ferry from Sanotrini. The rental car agent met me at the port and in 5 minutes I was on my way in a mini bus with my family to the hotel. Seamless ! This was very imprtant to me as I was traveling with my dad who cannot walk very well these days.
Upon arriving at the hotel, at a very late hour I was greeted with a big smile by another sister Christina, and due to the late hour all formalities were skipped and we were just handed the key and allowed the 9 of us (a mini family reunion) to go to sleep.
The rooms are clean and air conditioned however due to the geographic position of the hotel, high above chania there is a beautiful breeze that comes thru the hotel rooms. AC is likely not needed on most nights.
At breakfast the next morning I was greeted by yet another family member, their mother who showed us the buffet breakfast and then proceeded to cook us eggs to order. Extremely nicely set up breakfast with warm genuine conversation. I have to mention that they serve genuine fresh sqeezed orange juice for breakfast.
On level 2 of the hotel there is a very large veranda that overlooks the city of Xania (Chania) with a spectacular view. Small tables allow guests to sit and enjoy the view and breeze. The pool is absolutel delightfull huge spotless, and well maintained. Palm trees, grapes vines hanging out back and olive trees surround this oasis of a pool.
A quick request for a suggestion for dinner to the staff, had us driving to central Xania about 10 min by car. The meal we had was the best we had all trip. True atmosphere 4 wall roofless, live traditional Greek Music and great food for a very reasonable price.

Accessing the port to return to Piraues by Ferry we left from Souda Bay, whoch is 10 min in the opposite direction than down town and very easily accessed from this hotel....
A mini market, 24 Hour is also next door.

Service and Hoslitality with a great location, view and knowledge of the area are what I think of when rememberring this Hotel. Highly recommended to others....

Thanks
Rob

Room Tip: Floor 3..View and viranda
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

excellent location as a base for vacation in the western part of Crete for couples and for families.
The hotel is located 4 minutes away from the city center.
There is a parking for the car
We spent three nights
Nice and warm hospitality. Superb service from all staff
Tasty breakfast
Rooms are clean.
Second floor has a large terrace with sea view
Large & well maintained swimming pool
Nice bar and pool table
it was a Perfect family holiday

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stopped here for a night en route to Chania airport. The hotel is in an excellent location for the airport and about 10 mins drive into the Old Town. The welcome from Elena and her family was very warm. The breakfast was extensive and very enjoyable - nothing seemed too much trouble. The public areas are very spacious and the rooms too. The style is not designer chic; but it is spotlessly clean, comfortable and very well looked after. There is a mini market, bakery, and fruit and veg shop just next door - ideal for stocking up on supplies for your onward journey. The pool is about 18m long and is a delightful spot to while away a few hours - our kids thought it one of the highlights of their holiday. I would highly recommend this hotel for a stopover at either end of a Cretan holiday or for those wishing to spend a couple of days or so in Chania.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Washington State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel is great and the staff could not have been better, they took care of us and genuinely seemed to care about their guests. Thank you for all you did and I hope to be back sometime. The view from the 3rd floor is amazing especially at sunset!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed here only one day and night after spending three weeks on the south coast. It is a very well kept property and has been in the same family for many years. I had to drop a friend off at the airport at 6AM and chose Monte Vardia because it is on the airport road, has good clean rooms with great views back down to Chania and its harbor. They were able to let me have my room at 6AM and I spent the day in town, at their pool, and enjoying the views. The next morning it was 15 minutes to drop my rental and get my flight.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Monte Vardia Hotel has been the hotel of choice for my family whenever they visited us in Hania over the 20 years we have lived in this beautiful town. It has also been our favorite retreat for weekend escapes.
The hotel is situated on a hill-hence the breathtaking view which you can enjoy from almost all rooms. The swimming pool (and jacuzzi) is the hotel's biggest asset. Having been in most hotels in Hania, I can safely award their pool the highest prize. And it is not just the pool that makes you indulge in the daydreaming only a relaxed vacation can offer-it's the bougainvilleas , the view, the landscaping, the blue sky...
The service is extra friendly and helpful-Mrs. Kanella and her charismatic daughter, Eleni, see to that. The lobby, dining/breakfast room, tv room are spacious and offer a billiard table, a darts corner and backgammon sets-the hotel owner's, Yannis, favorite pastimes. The breakfast buffet offers a variety of delicacies.
The rooms are clean and equipped with the necessary amenities, including air conditioning, mini-fridge for your supplies, tv set etc.
The parking lot is big-and there is a reason...The hotel is about 5 klm from Hania so the traveler/family would need a car to reach it. There is also a bus service every half hour to and from Hania, However, a car is strongly recommended for those who can afford it -Hania has so much to see and do.
Monte Vardia hotel definitely offers a relaxing experience especially for couples and families-I strongly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

This hotel is outside the city of Chania in a very quiet area. This hotel is run by a terrific family who speak perfect english and greek. We were treated to great breakfast every morning who gave us and the kids anything we wanted. The pool is quiet, BIG and very clean. The kids had a fabulous time and were treated to free ice cream. The rooms need a modern touch with updated TV and decor. Hotel experience for the price was fabulous. Again this family run hotel made us feel so welcome.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Monte Vardia? Share your experiences!