“A haven on the busy north coast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stavros Villas and Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chania Town
Stavros Villas and Apartments
You added Stavros Villas and Apartments to your Saves list
Kato Gerani, Platania, Chania Town, Crete 73014, Greece   |
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“A haven on the busy north coast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stayed, 2 friends, for a week in July and couldn't believe our luck. Having lived in rural Greece we wanted a more traditional place to stay but close enough to visit beautiful Old Chania. Lefteris ( based in the UK) had assured me by email that this was a small family run place with normal Greek life going on around and he didn't lie- it was wonderful! Coming through Platinias on the bus was horrible but we left that behind and got off at Gerani, bamboo and olive trees lined our walk to the apartments.
Herula and her parents were the perfect hosts, the food was excellent ( no problem being a vegetarian here!), they were so generous with their time, and service was excellent ( the free raki and cake helped of course!). A special mention for Giorgos too who worked most of the days we were there and was just the perfect waiter, host and trip advisor!
Our apartment ( no. 9 I think?) was delightful, thoughtfully but simply decorated. For us 2 the
layout was perfect, privacy given by a dividing door between the 2 rooms and 2 shower rooms, an unexpected luxury for £400 for the week for 2 of us!!! We had balconies front and back, very private and peaceful. We were further from the sea than the studios but for us the privacy was worth it- at least one whole day was spent at the apartment ( apart from a brief stroll for a swim- just perfect) in quiet, comfortable laziness reading and resting.
Of course you can also stroll down to the tavern and position yourself there easily for the day, they even have a library of donated books if you finish yours.
The bus service is excellent and so cheap- a tip though, if you go straight up the sloping road to the bakery it takes you straight to the main road and bus stops, worth knowing when it's 40c!
We explored, and loved, old Chania several times ( Nostos hotel is lovely) and also went the other way to Kolymbari which has a lovely setting and a beautiful monastery.
I must also mention Maleme, the village immediately next to Stavros apartments, 10 mins walk along the beach? It is well worth a look, a lovely family run taverna, pottery, organics shop and a bit of normal local life going on.
Throughout our stay we met nothing but friendliness and kindness, even at the bus station in Chania at 5.30am when we arrived! ( note- no buses from Chania airport until 6am).
We both hope to return one day and for sure are recommending Starvos to our like-minded friends for a relaxing wonderful holiday- a place surley becoming so rare on that coast these days? I hope Maleme and Gerani can hold off against the march of development madness for some years to come.
The only reason I may have held off from five stars was the lack of dish towels etc, just the very basics, in the kitchen but that seems harsh- we just nipped to the supermarket and bought some, which are now in my kitchen at home. Our apartment was cleaned every day, you don't get that in some hotels!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I had stayed there 10 years ago and returned to familiar place to confirm that it was a well kept secret of the area! away from the tourist attractions of Platanias and in a quiet zone where the sea is not shallow as in other places along the coast. The restaurant is a few paces from the beach and Despina's food is unparallel to any I've tasted. The room had all I needed with the best relaxing terrace. OK some things could do with a little TLC but who cares when you are having your coffee on the terrace a few paces from the sea! I would definitely recommend it for families and couples.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This is the ideal location for a relaxing time by the beach! Or by the pool if you prefer, especially if you have children. The rooms are good sized and airy and have all the facilities should you decide not to taste the amazing food of the taverna and prepare a quick meal yourself. I stayed there in July 2014 for just 4 days but I.m booking again for end of August. It's clean, the owners are lovely people and always helpful. Close proximity to a mini market for quick shopping and only 20 minutes drive to beautiful city of chania!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Kent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Stayed at Stavros studios, 2013 and had an amazing holiday.
My apartment had all I needed, clean,great location , balcony, and a short walk to the pool , taverna and private beach for us to use.
I received a warm welcome and the family are helpful and lovely, food amazing and umbrellas provided free on the beach which is always a bonus .
Overall, had a wonderful , greek , relaxed experience and look forward to returning soon .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Firstly the photos shown on their website do not correspond to the majority of the rooms, this is very deceptive as one expects to find a bright, clean airy apartment, but the one we stayed in was quite the opposite. We paid for two weeks in advance, which I think, explains the staff's unwelcoming and indifferent attitude.
The two redeeming features of the complex are that there are small balconies which are surrounded by greenery and that it's in a fairly quiet zone. Here ends the positivity.
The apartments are a 3-5 min walk from the beach, where you will find some tatty parasols and sun loungers which have to be rented at an extra cost - even if you are guests. The beach itself doesn't look very clean and the sea is not very inviting, compared to some beaches we visited (Falasarna & Balos for example). We didn't eat at the taverna, so can make no comments on that.
As for out apartment, it was supposedly 2 bedroomed, my friends slept in a bed which was part of the kitchen/dining room - an intrusion of their privacy if I wanted something from the kitchen whilst they were still in bed. As for the 'kitchen', there is a small fridge which looks as if its seen better days; the door didn't shut properly. There are 2 hot plates (the kind you take camping) which took forever to heat anything (1 hour to cook a pan of pasta, a toaster and a kettle. There is also the strict minimum as far as crockery and cutlery, pans etc is concerned. In addition, the major problem of this apart is that the plumbing is rather sketchy. When we emptied the kitchen sink, all of the water would come back up and leak up from the lavatory.
Approx 10 mins after having a shower in the bathroom adjoining my room, there was a tremendous gurgling sound which resulted in gunge being spewed out of the drain outlet and the shower plug hole all over the bathroom floor. This happened a further two times following which I complained to a member of staff. Her initial reaction was 'ok we will have a look', but when it seemed that the septic tank/drains was going to leak into the bedroom, I informed the staff that something had to be done immediately. At this point, their reaction was to blame me for 'blocking the toilet with paper and the shower with sand', despite the fact that I explained that the shower wasn't blocked and that the sewage was being pushed up from the drains from elsewhere. To cut a long story short, they did call a plumber to fix it, but omitted to clean the bathroom floor, so on our return there was still detritus scattered around. When I requested someone please clean the floor, their reply was that they were tired, it was late and that I would have to wait. The member of staff then handed me a bottle of bleach so I could clean it myself.
From the start and throughout the holiday the receptionist was unwelcoming and indifferent to the problems caused by their ill maintained plumbing. We felt cheated (take a look at the thumbnail image used to advertise their villas - these apartments do not exist in the place we stayed) and I would certainly not recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
lefterispardalakis, Manager at Stavros Villas and Apartments, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
The Self-Catering Apartment booking was made by a couple (husband and wife) and a third person, friend of the couple sheared the second bedroom. I have to mention here that neither of the people in the group made any complain about anything during or after their stay.

One week after her check-in (check in 3rd July) and 2 days before her departure on the 10th of July at 20:00 (in the night) she reported the clogging in her shower and within half an hour, at 20:30 the plumber was in her shower room working (and believe me it is very difficult to find plumber at 20:30 in the night) it took 1 hour to unblock the shower drainage. The pipe was blocked with lots of sand from the beach. At about 21:35 the shower was unblocked, it was cleaned and ready for her to use it again. I have to point out that we did clean the bathroom using bleach. Also plumber used a disinfectant in the pipes.

The plumber retrieves 2.5 kilos of beach sand from the pipes!! Everybody who stayed in the same room before her
had no problems with that shower or any other plumbing. Also out of the 2 showers in that Apartment, (one in each bedroom) only the one in her bedroom blocked with sand!

The cost of the unclogging of the shower was 69 euros for the plumber and 59 euros for the material he used total 128 euros. She was not charged for the cost. We paid the total cost!!

Of course someone would expect for customer to thank everyone for working that late in the night fixing her shower that quick. Instead of a ”thank you” at about 23:48 she returned to our restaurant as our reception is closed at this time of night, from a local bar, it seems having consumed a lot of alcoholic drinks and she was demanding for the cleaner to go in her room and clean again the shower room, at this unreasonable hour !! Staff politely explained to her that the cleaner is not available at this time of night (she ends her work at 18:30). Also staff try to explain to her that staff in bar and restaurant are busy with customers. A member of Staff very politely try to explained to customer that we did clean her bathroom but if she thought that more cleaning was need it she could use the cleaning material in her Apartment’s cupboard provided where all cleaning materials are stored for her Apartment, We are SELF- CETERING APARTMENTS and NOT a HOTEL this is why everything needed for cleaning and cooking are available in her Apartment. And Staff would make a note for a maid to visit her shower room first thing in the morning at 8:30. But She insisted that a maid or someone else should go and clean the shower room for her at that instant, I have to point out that during that conversation she was extremely rude to the staff , she blamed everybody for been lazy and she seemed to be blackmailing everybody , staff and management that she will make bad comments on all websites about the property and about the staff ( we have the incident recorded on CCTV and we will reserve the rights for lawful action) , we also have customers by the bar and restaurant who can confirm that she was aggressive and rude to staff and are happy to testify about her behaviour that night.

After that night and for the rest 2 days of her stay, she would occasionally return to the bar and restaurant and she would make a negative comment about the staff, the maid or the management. On her departure day her bedroom and bathroom was left in a very bad condition, almost trashed!

Everything else she mention in her comments about “Furniture is tatty and Kitchen facilities, fridge door ,bathrooms facilities” etc ALL ARE LIES, neither her or her friends shearing the same apartment with her, ever reported any of those problems she mention here during her stay and this is because none of wich are true, she it seems uses those comments just to make a negative impression of the staff and property.

Also those photos are NOT our property!!

Unfortunately it seems she is a professional complainer. To all the hotel and Holiday accommodation owners I will recommend you to keep her out of your properties.
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We have just returned from 2 superb weeks at Stavros Villas. This was my fourth visit and it just gets better! If you are looking for a relaxing holiday in beautiful surroundings this is the place to be. The appartments are family owned and are very clean and comfortable. The family is extremely friendly and welcoming. Nothing is too much trouble for them. Haroula is always on hand to offer advice and assistance , as indeed are all the family. Despina does all the home cooked meals which are quite simply delicious! The service is at all times excellent. The location is perfect being next to a lovely quiet sandy beach. The choice is yours either the beach or the pool. There are lots of interesting places to visit nearby, including Chania Town which is a must. We can not wait until next year! This is a real gem!

Room Tip: Having been here four times all the rooms I have stayed in are great!