We pre-booked a triple room at the Lefka Apartments online from the UK, having been impressed by the Trip Advisor accolades. I paid a 2 day deposit and the transaction went through quickly and smoothly, with immediate email responses from the management. As we were arriving quite late, they arranged for a cab (30 euros) to meet us at the airport and deliver us some 40 minutes later to our destination.
Evita and Andreas run these excellent apartments with great style and efficiency. It's hard to believe that they both have second jobs during the day as well as having two energetic young boys to raise! The apartments are about 4 kilometres from the centre of Chania on the very busy 'old' coast road. But this is not too much of a problem. When you finally manage to cross the road there is a large supermarket which stays open quite late – and a five minute walk to a pleasant beach. There is a hotel vibe at the Lefka Apartments and they have a lovely, floodlit pool and poolside bar/restaurant, open from 11am until about midnight. Our second floor apartment was spotlessly clean, with a fully-equipped kitchenette attached. The south facing patio looked out onto the lush back garden and was bathed in sunlight throughout the day. At 75 euros a night, we considered it very good value.
The food is really sensational – particularly my favourite 'village sausages', washed down with the excellent local Retsina. It's difficult to find food this good in Chania. My daughter's chicken souvlaki was actually the best I've ever tasted… marinated by Andreas in olive oil with the pungent local thyme. The helpings are HUGE… and each day they seemed to get bigger; perhaps overly generous for one hoping to lose a little weight! Complimentary desserts always seem to follow a meal and Andreas can't seem to resist delivering complimentary, surprise liqueurs to both titillate and challenge your taste buds.
When we left after our all-too-brief 5 day stay we were presented with a pot of the delicious local honey and I was given a kiss on both cheeks (by Evita, not Andreas!). Altogether fabulous. A most worthy Travellers' Choice 2013 winner!
- Also Known As:
- Lefka Apartments Hotel Chania Town
- Lefka Apartments Hotel
- Lefka Apartments Chania
- Lefka Apartments Hotel Chania
- Lefka Apartments Chania, Crete
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday studios and apartments, with large swimming pool, located in Chania, Crete, within 2 1/2 kms of the city centre and only 5 minutes from a sandy beach. Accommodation at Lefka apartments consists of 8 studios and 8 one bedroom apartments, with large swimming pool, beautiful garden and private parking space. The studios and apartments are spacious and comfortable. All have air conditioning, bathroom with shower and WC, large balcony overlooking the pool or garden, wireless Internet, TV, phone, safe deposit box, hairdryer, and equipped kitchenette with refrigerator, 2-ring cooker hob, microwave, coffee machine, toaster and utensils. Daily maid services and change of linen and towels every 3 days are included. Lefka apartments are open from May to October. ... more less