“Went back twice!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Speonk, New York
“Went back twice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We loved Restaurant Oleander so much we ate there twice during our four night stay in Crete. It would have been hard to find if not for one of the reviews on here that said to go behind the mosque at the harbor and upstairs. We arrived around 9:00pm both nights we ate there and it was almost empty. Don't let that stop you from eating here though! The food and the service were excellent. George was our waiter both nights and he was extremely nice and helpful. He even recommended places for us to go out after dinner. The chef was also extremely friendly and came out to talk to us both nights. I ate the Greek salad and Greek pasta both nights- it was delicious and a little spicy. We also ate the shrimp and pasta with grilled watermelon and tomato and mozzarella fan which were both outstanding. We drank the house white wine with our dinner as well. I would not recommend their bruschetta- it was simply tomato sauce on bread and not very appetizing. Other than that, everything about our meal and service was wonderful! Our meals were not very expensive either- the first night it was only 36 euro for 3 of us! The second night was not much more than that either. I would definitely highly recommend this restaurant if you are in Chania- it is a hidden treasure!

• Greek first
Hafnarfjordur, Iceland
“Excellent restaurant - Frábær staður”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I was in Crete (Agia Marina), with my wife and two kids 12 and 16 years old, from 27/06 - 9/7
I checked Tripadvisor for a steakhouse and decided on going to Restaurant Oleander. The Restaurant is located down at the harbor behind mosque. We all selected there best steak. It was extremely good. Service was friendly and good and the view is beautiful overlooking the mosque and the harbor.

We recommend the place to people at our hotel and we know that at least one coupe with a teenager went there two times.

(Note. at the time the restaurant did not accept credit cards. So bring your cash )

Oslo, Norway
“Excellent food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This restaurant is a bit hard to find, but worth the seeking. We were looking for The Laughing Pig, but after talking to a man at one of the clubs, we found that The Laughing Pig has closed and moved, and that Oleander has taken it's place. It is located up the staris behind the mosque at the harbour.

The steaks we ordered were excellent, one of the best meals we had in Chania.

The waiter, though, did not do his job. There sat some girls in the restaurant that he talked a lot to, and kissed (made out) with. As soon as the girls left for a while, he was good at his job though. Because og this, the service was generally poor. The chef came out and asked how the food was and talked a bit, then left. Had there not been girls with skirts barely covering their bottom, I think the service would have been great, too.

The atmosphere was calm, as we were the only ones in the restaurant who werent just sitting about at that time. The view is great, with the mosque, sea and lighthouse. There are toilets there.

If the place seems empty, DO NOT HESITATE going up, the food is delicious.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Little gem!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We found this restaurant whilst in search for the Laughing pig but we are so pleased we found the oleander instead!! The view was amazing from our table outside but it got a big chilly so we moved inside and the waiter pushed the table towards the little balcony for us which made it a lovely spot and we could still see the views.

We both ordered the lamb cutlets but unfortunately they didn't have them so we were offered the lamb fillet as a replacement but kindly at a discounted price which we thought was a great gesture. The bread and dips which we received complimentary were delicious! I don't like olives but they were the best I've ever had and ate very last one.

Throughout the meal the waiter was lovely, not to intrusive but took very good care of us! The lamb itself was to die for! Cooked to perfection! As well as the vegetable and the wedges. Hmm hmm hmm. It was presented beautifully and tasted spectacular!

After our main we were given again complimentary homemade honey raki (which was the only raki I have ever enjoyed) and a couple of scoops of creamy delicious ice cream! It made the meal just perfect. Definitely the best meal we had during our 2 week stay in Crete. The meal was made complete by the authentic live greek music played throughout the meal. We would definitely return and as this is a new restaurant only just opened we can see big things in the future for it and wish you luck. You must visit as it will not disappoint.
Thank you again!

Visited June 2013
Rarotonga
“Wonderful Meal and Music”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I saw a poster advertising Greek music, which suited me because it started at 8.30pm rather than the usual 10.00pm. I Googled the restaurant on the Internet for directions, and walked there from Koum Kapi, it was easy to find near the former Hamam in the Venetian Port. I was greated and led to a table by the lady of the couple that owns the restaurant. The service from the waiter was excellent, and I had excellent fish (dorade) while listening to the Greek music. What a relief that it was NOT "Never on Sunday" played on the piano accordion After I had eaten, the other male owner of the restaurant kept me company. The view, the food, the music and the good company made my last night in Crete a special experience. I could not stay late for the dancing as I had a flight the next morning.

• Visited June 2013