“Alegre type of holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #65 of 120 Hotels in Chania Town
Nis, Serbia
“Alegre type of holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The hotel itself looks really good. One of the main things that you cannot easily find in Greece, is that everything is cleaned on a daily basis. Rooms and the pool were perfectly clean and tidy and you can enjoy your staying here.
My personal opinion is that the breakfast is really poor and it is a pity they dont try harder to improve this.
The hotel is across the sea but the beach is about 300 m away, beware of that. My advice would be to choose something a bit closer to Chania or choose Ag. marina or Platanias, you would really love it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
Greece
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

The staff is impolite and offensive, no room service offered and they don’t allow food and drink in the rooms!! There are no shutters in windows and we woke up very early in the morning. The main road that reaches Chania town is just next to the hotel and makes it almost impossible to sit in the balcony. Breakfast is reach although stale especially the bread.
Parking sits are about 7 and the hotel has 43 rooms… No comment for that…
We were very disappointed from this hotel and I don’t recommend it for anyone…

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

The staff didn't speak English & can only communicate in broken Spanish & Greek. I don't speak either so we communicated in minimal Spanish. I walked in to ask for "availability" for 4 nights & was told a room is available for 4 nights. I took a room for the night. The staff asked for my credit card which is normal for records on file but unknown to me he charged me for 4 nights immediately. I asked to get a refund because I plan to go to eastern Crete. The staff says the credit card is already charged & can't give me a refund. I spoke to the manager next morning & was told he can only refund me partial charges because he has to pay 16% tax. He wanted to give me back $40euros out of $60euros/night I paid (that's not 16% either). I politely said I never agreed to be charged for 4 night & I haven't stayed 4 nights. I then said I would like to check out immediately & asked for 3 nights of refund. He then agreed to refund me for 2 nights but I have to stay for 2nd night.
I feel being scammed. I will not stay here again & do not recommend this hotel. I also found out there's an option of not having breakfast w/$5euros less but of course, the money suckers wouldn't let me have it so I HAVE TO pay for the breakfast. The hairdryer in the room is broken & was not fixed. location not convenient; not close to anything & is a LONG walk to the shops & restaurants.

I have not been to a hotel where they charge you the whole trip on 1st day except online agents like hotels.com & it's usually special rates. I paid the full regular price. Hotel can have its own policies but has to let the customer know. The way this hotel runs business is really shady.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

We loved staying in Porto Alegre, just outside the lovely city of Chania, Crete. If you rent a car, and are looking for a romantic vacation or just some relaxing time by the pool, this is the one for you. For a very reasonable price we got a sea-side view room which was very clean, nice and quiet. The staff were very nice and helpful, their English is not great, but good enough to get by. We stayed there for 4 nights, had a very good breakfast (it's basic but the products are good and fresh), and found the hotel to be perfect for our vacation. Next time we're in Crete, we'll probably want to go back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Munich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

The owners are very pollite and obliging, the rooms are very clean and have air-condition and a nice view to the sea. The only minus is the adjacent street that is located between the hotel and the sea which does not affect the view but causes a lot of noise. However, nearly all hotels near Chania seem to suffer from this problem. The pool is amazing.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Porto Alegre Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!