“Get away from the harbor and find Portes” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 239 restaurants in Chania Town
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: This small family owned restaurant is located on Portou Street.The alley leading to it is decorated with charming old doors as the name "PORTES" means doors.The Irish owner/chef offers her customers a blend of trend and tradition with her unique recipes.All ingredients are fresh,seasonal,local and bought daily.Recipes are designed depending on the season and availability therefore be sure to checkout the blackboard displaying new dishes and daily specials."Portes" also offers a wide range of vegetarian and vegan dishes.We open our doors each day to welcome and please our customers.
Chicago, Illinois
“Get away from the harbor and find Portes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I were in Chania for three days and went to Portes based on recommendations and had one of our best meals in Greece there. First, it was just nice to get a quiet dinner away from the harbor. We tried a couple of places there and the only one that I would recommend was the Amphora. Portes is a couple of blocks off the harbor and was definitely a nice change from the crowds and touts. Also, the food and drink were superb. The marinated anchovies appetizer was outstanding. My wife had the roasted fish and it was great. My lamb dish was also memorable. We'll definitely go back to Portes next time we're in Chania.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

89% Recommend
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely, atmospheric restaurant, loads of vegetarian choices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had lots of small starters. My favourite were the stewed oyster mushrooms and the stuffed vine leaves. They do a very nice sweet red wine sauce with the mushrooms unlike anything I've ever had before. Worth a visit. However, Tamam is still my favourite Chania restaurant!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wiesbaden, Germany
“Does well for it's unique location...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Didn't have too much difficulty finding this place using the TripAdvisor map. Meals were pretty good. I think what struck me most about the restaurant, was it's location. It's situated on a narrow walkway. Along the wall, they've placed old doors along their portion of the eating area, which explains the restaurant name. Pretty unique way to turn an otherwise unusual location to something nice. I had the chicken risotto, which was good/standard. My wife had the Portes chicken--which was very good. She had the better meal. The fries were great and it was a filling meal. After a week of staying in Crete, most every restaurant, when you call for the check will give you some sort of fruit plate and a small bottle of their Raki to mull over the bill. I think this is a nice touch with majority of the restaurants we visited in Crete.

Eastbourne
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Went at 7pm as can get busy. Research done on TA made this a firm choice for us. Always make appoint of eating in the back streets away from harbour. At 8 pm people were waiting for tables as they knew the food was good. Liked the Middle East fusion,particularly the salads. Will be back later in the year.

Cheshire
“Charming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

In a lovely atmospheric back street in the old town of Chania. Excellent value for money and excellent local food this is certainly worth a visit