“Brilliant!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 97 hotels in Agios Nikolaos
newport, south wales
“Brilliant!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

For anyone who has booked to stay at the Hera Village in 2007, you have booked a real treat!

We stayed for a week there in may 2007, and we have had a fantastic time.

From the moment we arrived in reception, to the staff who saw us back on the coach, it really was a wonderful experience.

The first thing that hits you when you arrive is the view, I know we have all seen photo's of it on the internet, but being there and seeing it is just something else, coupled to the fact that the restaurant has the same view as you sit and eat, makes dining a very pleasureable experience.

Myself and my wife both enjoyed all the food that was put in front of us, and considering she can be a fussy eater, thats praise within itself. The food was always fresh, not too repetitive, and was always very tasty.

Our room was fine, certainly been in a lot worse, and was very clean.

The all inclusive drinks are pretty much ok, again, I have been served a lot worse at other all inc hotels.

But, I have to say it was the staff who helped make our holiday.

Every single one of them is a credit to the hotel, and if you let them, they will help you have a fantastic time here

So if you have booked here, don't be afraid, Its Fab!!

Steve Williams (South Wales)

• Liked — friendly staff, food, views
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

Well how can I start? I can see there has been a lot of bad feedback about the hotel, and most of it is justified.. But its really not as bad as it sounds if youre willing to go out of your way to have a good time... Although this wont involve being in or around the hotel...

As a lot of others have said, the best way is to treat this hotel like a B&B.. Take time to travel around Crete as the people there are really lovely.. Both Agios Nikalaos and Elounda were both great places to visit, with extremely welcoming people (Especially good with the young children) - If you want to go to a sandy beach, make your way to Agios Nikalaos as thats the only one we could find.. Quite a few stone beaches but only 1 sandy one, and no beach at all at the hotel.. So dont expect one.

Food was ok.. I found it alright anyway and my partner and daughter both found it ok too.. There is always enough to go around and the selection is not bad.. Could be better but the price for the holiday wasnt over the top anyway so we wasnt 'ripped off'. As everybody else has mentioned 'Ray' the Restaurant manager really is a great guy.. Take time to say hello to him and be nice, and he will make your meal times a hell of a lot entertaining and enjoyable.

The drinks I was really not impressed with. The Beer was not bad (But dont expect to get drunk on it.. I drank beer the whole of the day and was stone cold sober... Not even a little tipsy). All of the mixers were horrible.. Couldnt stand the Vodka or any other spirits, I guess the Vodka was drinkeable with orange but I preferred to just stick to the beer.

There was a mini-mart on site, which was ok for necessities, but I would not recommend shopping there n a daily basis as it is a hell of a lot more expensive than in the city centres.. Well worth getting a taxi to the centre, enjoying a day out and picking up some shopping before making your way back to the hotel - Would recommend this to anybody (Also dont exchange your money in the mini-mart on site as its a very bad exchange range compared to the centre).

The pool was definitely not olympic size, but big enough - It was saltwater, and very deep at one end (12+ foot). Kiddy pool was not bad for the small ones I suppose, but was no kids pool entertainment as advertised.

Childrens entertainment consisted of a large plasma screen tv in the lounge area indoors which played a dvd each night. Other than that there was 1 pool table and 1 computer with internet access which you had to pay for.. Some enterainment at night in the main bar but AI drinks only server til 11..

All I can say really is, to make the most of your holiday I would suggest spending a couple of days around the hotel first to check everything out and so you make the most of your money, then spend the rest of your holiday travelling into Agios Nikolaos and Ellounda.. This will really improve your holiday as they are both beautiful and very enjoyable places (If you rent a car be careful as the Greek drivers are very impatient, arrogant and rude - I would suggest getting a taxi - All taxis are luxurious mercedes benz with great air conditioning for 7 euros each way).

Wouldnt go back but I enjoyed it when I was there as made the most of it instead of sitting around whinging about everything that was bad...

Stayed January 2007
Lincoln
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2006

Pleasantly surprised, after reading horrific reviews on the Hera Village, we even considered cancelling! .
The hotel description when I booked, had been honest about it's location, the need for agility( you can see by the beautiful views, there are going to be alot of steps and walking to the sea)!
Do not expect 4* britain or spain, or you will be dissapointed this is Greece! The accommodations are basic, but very traditional and clean which is usually how it is in Greece, I thought it added to it's charm, go prepared, take your kettle, corkscrew and any other S/C bits you think you may need, there are none in the rooms as it's All Inclusive. As there were five of us(relatives) and we had booked separately, a double & three single rooms, the manager was very obliging and put us all in the same area, so we could enjoy being together.
We hired a car, but also got the bus with no problem and this was the last fortnight of the season.
For the price we paid, approx £300 per person, I thought it was extremely good value( about same price as Self Catering) ,for All Inclusive!
We ate out a couple of times and did not feel tied to the place, as we had not paid an arm and a leg. I also thought the food was very good if you like Greek food, if you want Burgers, they dont have them I'm pleased to say. The staff in the bar & restaurant were lovely, especially Ray, who entertained us all week and was exceptionally professional, he has since left and will be missed by all.
There was no paid entertainment at this time of year, so I could'nt comment on it!
I would agree with others, there is no beach, more a platform for snorkelling, crystal clear water, but not suitable for children as it would be unsafe, but again, it does say on the description there is a better beach 1.5k away.
I'm not sure why people think it is so bad, unless they want english food?
Overall, considering we had the worst rain ever that week, we really enjoyed our holiday here, met some lovely people, had great fun and I would go back again, even though I prefer Self Catering, this was a pleasant suprise.
I hope others enjoy it too.
Jane.

• Liked — traditional, small and beautiful views
  • Disliked — lack of equipment in room
  • Tips/Secrets — dont expect too much & take mugs etc
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
north east engalnd
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2006

Having read the way reviews seem to be getting worse we were concerned about ataying here, but were pleasantly surprised, particularly at the price we paid (around £700 for a week's AI inc flights for 2)
We enjoyed our holiday here in late october with really good weather, following dreadful weather the previous week.
The bungalow was very spacious with an excellent view and a lovely patio complete with lemon tree. We didn't find the place dirty, with daily maid service and the pool and surroundings cleaned every morning.
No it's not 4 star, but did you pay a 4 star price? The food was okay with limited choice, but there was always something we could eat especially fish.
The AI drinks were fine, although difficult to understand why local gin wasn't included.
There was no entertainment as advertised, which was probably a blessing, but those with children were understandably annoyed as the children became bored easily, but behaved well to be fair.
I think the Hera needs to look at how it describes itself and be a bit more realistic as it's setting itself up to be knocked down.
If it wasn't for the fact that we want to visit the west of Crete next time we'd happily stay here again at the price.

• Liked — views, rustic bungalows, value for money
  • Disliked — some advertised facilities not available
  • Tips/Secrets — hire car essential
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2006

Hera village, is not 4 star, i have been to quite a few places, this is no more than 2 star.
Food ok but much the same each day, rooms very basic, cold;. Red wine is ok , Beer just ok
I think money needs to be spent to make more comfortable.
Will we ever go back NO.
We had awfull weather when we were there which didnt help , had to hire a car just to get away from the place.
Have not taken any photos of the place, dont want to remember this holiday.
Please dont go expecting 4 star.

• Liked — Being able to get out in hire Car after breakfast
  • Disliked — Rooms and public areas
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont go if you want 4 star
newcastle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2006

having just come back yesterday from what was described as a 4 * hotel i felt i had to write a review . The time of year we went was due to work problems but thouhgt we would still have a quality holliday in a nice hotel ! wrong !! there was entertainment advertised : the staff had been finished at the end of sept ,, there was a laundry service advertised : when asked i was told it was no longer available ! ,there was a private beach advertised : there was a very steep walk down a mountainand no beach at the end of it , there was childrens entertainment advertised : again no staff ! , the food was often the days befor reheated , once complaints were made an improvement was noticed but the first weeks food was a disgrace , we paid for an all inclusive stay at a 4 * hotel , we got a 2 week stay at a hotel that i would say should just have a 3* , if i had been there a week and the weather was good it could have been an ok holl, 2 weeks with unhappy staff (that had not been paid for brtween 5 to 7 weeks ) , poor food , towels that were changed every 2 days , a dirty pool , pool bar , and dinning area the list goes on !

• Liked — the views
  • Disliked — the food
  • Tips/Secrets — go in the summer before they finish some of the staff
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
england
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2006

Me and my girlfriend returned from the Hera Village in Oct after spending one week there. After arriving in the early hours of the morning we found the staff as friendly as traffic wardens. That morning we realised that we must be Ibiza with the amount of Chav's around and the dance music at 10:00 near the so called olympic size swimming pool.
The plus points of the holiday were the views as they are amazing. The rooms were clean and not bad for couples.
We ate in the hotel twice and walked out once due to the not so fine international cuisine that was on offer. The local towns are few miles away with the safest away of getting to them is by taxi. If using the bus service make sure you have plently of time free as they also seem to run late and never push the bell to get off the bus as we did which caused us to get thrown off the bus in the middle of the road with on-coming traffic heading for us!!!

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — staff and food
  • Tips/Secrets — dont go
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hera Village Aparthotel? Share your experiences!