“Will go again” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Westerham, United Kingdom
“Will go again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have just returned from St Nicolas bay where my husband and I spent a lovely week,
We were very lucky as we went at the end of the season and the weather was beautiful and hot. Slightly cloudy to begin with but then gorgeous. Because it was the end the hotel was not very busy although lots of people around.This meant that there was a good choice for sunbeds and no rush to get your towel on one before breakfast!.
The food was good, buffet style unless you chose to go al a carte however some courses were served at your table for the evening meal so it was a bit of a mixture.
I loved breakfast as every morning we sat outside surrounded by lovely trees overlooking the infinity pool, sea and surrounding Islands.
The staff were very attentive and cheerful and polite
The only slightly negative thing I would say is that the actual resort is looking a bit tired in places but this certainly did not affect our holiday.

Room Tip: We were actually upgraded to a junior suite however it was more like a deluxe room. The room was lov...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
managerGreece, General Manager at St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
I have read with great attention your review with reference to your holiday with us and thank you for the kind comments for a lovely week at the St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas.
Kind regards,
Costas Sp. Zarbalas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Greek first
Airdrie, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have just returned from the biggest disappointment of my life, a week in the St Nicolas Bay Hotel. The Hotel sells itself as a five resort and although there is no doubt that the grounds are beautiful and the staff are excellent, the food, although plentiful, is no better that other hotels of the same class. The drinks and any food you purchase there is overpriced and the accomodation although clean does not even begin to match the standard of some three star hotels. I had booked a Junior Suite, which incidently turned out to be a glorified double room, a suite in anyone's language means more than one room, and when I complained about the calibre of accommodation was speechless to find that I had been UPGRADED to a Grand Suite! The Grand suite consisted of two rooms, one which contained a couch, with not even a cushion for comfort and a throw to cover the marks on it, a unit which contained the mini bar and a writing desk, the bedroom contained an uncomfortable bed, either too small or too large pillows, a console table, a chair, again with no cushions, and two bedside tables. Where did you store your clothes I hear you ask, they were stored in the totally inadequste two drawers and double three quarter length wardrobes, fitted with ten coat hangers. The only difference from the basic accommodation I used to book in Greece 30 years ago for £200 a fortnight were the two plasma TVs, one in each room, although the one in the "lounge" picked up hardly anything and the one in the bedroom was so offset from the bed that you couldn't watch it from there. Five star accommodation it was not; but it did cost a five star price of £3500 for one week. We were there for a wedding and although the couple being married booked and only paid for a double room, they were upraded to a suite with their own private swimmming pool and I have to admit that the hotel pulled out all of the stops to make their wedding day very special, I am of the opinion that every other paying guest pays for that, because although the happy couple get way more than they pay for, everyong else gets far less, so perhaps those looking for the ultimate wedding experience should go to this hotel and anyone prepared to pay for a five star holiday should look elesewhere.

Room Tip: Make the holiday cheaper and book a bog standard double room, at least that way you know what to exp...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review with comments on your stay with us as guests of a wedding taking place in the Hotel.
I sincerely regret to read that you have found the accommodation provided not up to your expectations althoguh you have been upgraded complimentary.
However, your comments will be taken into serious consideration for future reference since we value a lot the subjective opinion of all our guests and try to meet their expectations at all times.
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is far far from a luxury hotel. We received a discounted rate online and to me it was still overpriced. The room interior is cheap and not well thought through, the breakfast was at best average and if you don't get up early to put a towel on a sun bed then you are faced with sunbathing on the rock area which in my mind really wasn't designed properly, too crowded and bad entrance and exits. Daily we had black bags outside our room with linen in, and half of our trip the staff didn't appear to recognize the red do not disturb sign. the evening manager who 'greeted' us was aggressive and not what was expected from front of house staff, could have put it down to being late at night, but no, he didn't really get any better when we were paying the bill. In addition, One expects that after your stay you are asked if you enjoyed your stay, this was clearly too much for the front of desk lady. It's a shame as at the bar and restaurant the staff are particularly hard working, making great recommendations on wine and food which outside of the 'greek' night was pretty good. perhaps it may be different if you pay for a small fortune in one of the upgraded rooms but I would just bite the bullet and pay that extra and go and stay in a proper luxury hotel in Elounda.
None of this you get at a luxury hotel of what they claim.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and kindly be informed that your comments will be taken into consideration for future reference.
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I have just come back after 12 days at the St Nicolas Bay - it was absolutely wonderful. Delightful luxury suite overlooking the bay and to start the day with a delicious breakfast under the olive trees overlooking the infinity pool and across to the island - takes some beating!! The food in all the restaurants was first class - and the staff were so friendly, it made every mealtime such a pleasure! We did enjoy the wonderful beach bar in the evening by the water, all candle-lit, such a lovely way to end the day, with a outdoor cinema too!! The most peaceful & restful hotel we have stayed in for a long time, and we shall definitely return next year, we absolutely loved it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I am delighted to read your enthusiastic comments on service and food and for quoting your holiday "The most peaceful and restful hotel we have stayed in for a long time, and we shall definetely return next year".
Looking much forward to welcome you back for another great holiday experience.
Sussex, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Thanks chiefly to the attentive and friendly staff at this superb, boutique hotel (headed up by one of the best Front Office Managers we've come across, Nicos Demetzos), our stay in St Nicolas Bay was the most memorable in a long time. We had booked 4 nights and then intended to stay elsewhere around the east of the island for the remainder of our 2 week holiday in Crete; however, when the alternative accomodation didn't compare (albeit at much lower cost), we rushed back and stayed at St Nicolas for the remainder of our holiday.
We ate out most of the time but on three occasions we visited the buffet restaurant twice and one of the two a la carte restaurants - I'm afraid a bit dissapointing on each occasion.
None the less, a great holiday, at a great resort with genuinely friendly and helpful staff will ensure our first visit to Crete won't be our last.

We're not pleased easily but have no hesitation in highly recommending this unpretentious, warm and friendly hotel in an ideal location very near to the bay of St Nicolas and Elounda.

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your comments and review with reference to your last holiday with us and for your quote "to have no hesitation in highly recommending " our Hotel.
Nikos Demetzos is joining me in sending you our best personal regards.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed last week at the hotel and I can say it was one of my best holidays! I travelled on my own, and I had a wonderful experience. All the staff were looking after me and Nikos, the front of house manager, was a true gentleman and did everything he could to make me feel at home. I should also mention Yannis, the beach restaurant barman. We had many good laughs and he served me the best non-alcoholic drinks.
The location of the hotel is fantastic, it is a wide bay with a view of mountains in the distance, the water is crystal-clear, and although it was October, it was amazingly warm! There is a little beach for children and in the evening there is an outdoor cinema right next to the beach.
The hotel is spacious. Although it was fully booked you never felt it.
Because it is such a relaxed and beautiful place all the guests were in a great mood and everybody was friendly. I met wonderful people.
Serenity, luxury and happy times sums up this week for me. I would go back any time. It was just perfect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
My staff and I would like to thank you for your comments on the review posted for your last holiday with us.
Kindly be assured that we will continue the hard work to provide the highest standard of service and genuine hospitality to our valued guests.
Looking much forward to welcoming you back to the St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas in the future.
Istanbul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

The hotel is located 5 minute drive away from Agios Nikolaus.
It has a small private sandy beach cove, and also a pool
The rooms (we stayed in a room with a terrace) were spacious, clean and very beautiful. The management and staff was kind and professional. The service was very good. They had a very good breakfast served, and the bistro cafe at the beach also had fresh and tasty foods.
But still, I feel that it is overpriced.

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your positive comments on your holiday with us and about your spacious and clean room with a terrace, the professional attitude of the staff and the quality of food and breakfast. I sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity with another visit in the future to change your comment on holiday price.
Costas Sp. Zarbalas

Been to St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!