“They help me with all my bags.” 4 of 5 stars

Agios Nikolaos, Crete, Greece
28410 - 22530
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Bistro
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Northampton, United Kingdom
“They help me with all my bags.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The food here is very good another one of cretes jems. a must everytime we go to Agios nikolaos, . its one the restaurants you can relax in after along day shopping (What! I am a girl) It goes with out saying the staff are helpfull:-) and I don't mind eating here alone.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Caerphilly, United Kingdom
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We went to this restaurant after being recommended by people at our appartments. Food was ok not exceptional the restaurant was busy and we felt rushed. Also we found the portion sizes quite small compared to what we had been given elsewhere. We didnt go back.

Visited September 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I'm angry, and I only have myself to blame. I spent most of my working hours in Agios Nikolaos in 2011 and not once did I visit this fantastic establishment. In 2012 I returned, and promised myself I'd venture out a little more and try new places, and boy was I not disappointed!

Set just a 10 minute walk from town, opposite the Municipal Beach (Ammoudi), sits this gem of a place. At first glance, many would think it's just like any other restaurant. In fact, the main reason for my original visit was due to another restaurant I was planning on visiting holding a private party.

The menu is very extensive, you will certainly be spoiled for choice here. Do try some of the local cuisine while you're here in Crete - there's something for everyone. I do highly recommend the Saganaki here. It was by far, the best me and my colleagues had the pleasure of eating in Crete - and we visited a lot of restaurants. The downside is of course, upon returning back home to the UK, I'm having major withdrawal symptoms to the point I'm now sourcing out local Greek restaurants!

As for main meals, as I said before, there's loads to choose from. The 'Chicken Mexiko' was a favourite of mine as I do love my spicy food. The pork loins were absolutely huge and very tasty! After my colleague saw me have one, she was hooked on it ever since. Most of the main meals do come with garnitures which you also have a choice of selecting for example - rice, garlic potatoes (highly recommended), mashed potato (also noteworthy), chips, salad etc...

The desserts are something that needs to be seen to be believed. Every single one I tried was fantastic - and I was even privy to how they made their cheesecakes taste so good! The baklava's (local Greek dessert) are also worthy of a mention, but I must admit that everytime I ordered one - I barely finished it. Again, large portions.

One thing that I must add, is that during the peak season, the restaurant gets VERY busy. This doesn't detract from the service or the food itself - but it may mean you won't have a table to sit down on. This did happen to me on a few occassions, and the wait is not normally a long one as the restaurant is quite large. But if you do notice that it's popular during your stay in Agios Nikolaos, then do book a table with the owners and they'll be sure to keep it reserved for you.

The service was always exceptional, and I was very fortunate to get to know them very well. From the owners, to the family - including the cooks who do such an amazing job, I would like to thank you all.

Prices are as expected, they're neither more or less expensive than what you would find in town. Agios Nikolaos can prove expensive if you're eating out every night. They're also open quite earlier than most though, for breakfast which was a nice surprise. If you're on holiday on self-catering, then the money saved will definately help with eating out. I met quite a few folks who did this every year and went here each night. For those on All-Inclusive, do try to spread your wings. Most AI hotels will allow you to switch your evening meal for lunch, you only have to ask!

Lastly, if the staff do get to read this comment, I still want some of your recipes! ;)

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
manchester
“just good, and nothing else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

the prices were satisfied but the quality of food was poor. it is the first restaurant in that area so we went there but the service was weird and they didn't give us so much attention. the food was poor and it wasn't so tasty. next days we went to "pareaki "and "knossos" restaurant next to it. the best choices

Visited July 2012
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“The best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Great food, great price, friendly service.
This restaurant was packed every night of our stay yet service and quality was not reduced. By far the best restaurant we ate at.
Prawns provençal and meze are particularly good.

We will be back next year!!

• Visited October 2012