“You have to see tthis city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Athens

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Athens
Directions
Athens, Greece
Wroclaw, Poland
“You have to see tthis city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

We visited Athens in the middle of August. We saw weather forecast and we thought it would be really hard to survive a few days there. But when you visit famous places in the city you forget about the heat. It is quite easy to be in different part of the city due to different means of transportation. The city provides metro, buses, trams and trolley buses. However if you are located in a hotel in Plaka district, you will hardly use them. It is better to walk. There a lot to see: Acropol and other hills, National Archeological Museum and others. There is a great choice of taverns and cafes where you can enjoy just frappe or very tasty meal. They prepared Flea Market for shopping, but I would recommend three storey or Vyronos streets or surroundings of Akropolis metro station for this kind of activities.
We were advised not to visit Omonia square area due to people addicted to drugs. However, we were there once during the day and it was rather safe. Close to Omonia square you will find three storey shop called Metropolis where you can by CDs or DVDs with Greece music or movies.

Melbourne, Australia
“Aquamarine Cruise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

Great value for money, staff on board were exceptional in trying to make your cruise great. The ship is not luxury if that is what you are after but a very pleasant way to see some of the Greek Islands.

Athens, Hellenic Republic
“My fav place in Europe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

WOW!. I never expected to go to the Hellenic Republic (Greece for the less informed) and to so fall in love with the place. It was simply amazing, starting from the capital Athens where we both began our journey and then where we ended it with deep sadness because it was over.

If you like museums where the great works of pre Christian times are there to be seen at first hand, go to Athens. If you wish to walk barefoot on the Acropolis as I did, or at the nearby Temple of Zeus and ancient Olympic track, at the 1896 Olympic stadium... again barefoot as I did then like me you will feel even closer to the great men of that magical era who gave the world so much that we have today.

If you smoke or drink alcohol then you will be happily surprised by how cheap those items are. If you adore souvlakia, well you can eat almost three for the price I pay in Melbourne.

If you like sweets, well go to another country because once you start you will find it hard to stop.

But I actually lost weight with all the walking we did.

Athens and indeed Hellas (Greece) were magical and I will return.

Brisbane
“Experience of Athens a bit different to expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

We went to Athens for the Parthenon and surrounding historical sites. That was OK except that the continuing construction site at the Parthenon detracts from the ambiance (for the good but could it be better arranged?).

The changing of the guard at the Tomb of Unknown Soldier is an absolute must.

The abiding memory was the overt drug use and prostitution on the streets north of Omonia Square. We had no problems and never really felt unsafe except in our imagination in dark streets.

Be prepared to see this part of Athens life.

Apple Valley, Minnesota
“Athens - History and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

The guidebook I had read said that Athens was a difficult city to love, but I found the opposite. I found Athens to be friendly, easy to navigate and full of surprises.

We had only two days in Athens after taking a cruise, and we made the obvious visits to the Acropolis, the Parliament and tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and several museums. We also took time to enjoy some of the green spaces in Athens. We walked in the National Gardens,and enjoyed the scenery and the greenery at Lykavittos Hill.

We also enjoyed seeing slices of the life of Greek citizens: a christening at St. Georges Chapel, a Sunday morning bike ride for all ages on the main street in front of our hotel. a juggler entertaining cars stopped at a red light, and a man sitting in front of his apartment playing his guitar.

I would recommend Athens to any traveler who wants to visit a city that is interesting and full of attractions. My only caution is that there is a lot of walking, and at places like the Acropolis, few handrails. It is not a place for people who cannot walk and take stairs.

Been to Athens? Share your experiences!