“Aquamarine Cruise” 5 of 5 stars

Athens, Greece
Melbourne, Australia
“Aquamarine Cruise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

Great value for money, staff on board were exceptional in trying to make your cruise great. The ship is not luxury if that is what you are after but a very pleasant way to see some of the Greek Islands.

Athens, Hellenic Republic
“My fav place in Europe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

WOW!. I never expected to go to the Hellenic Republic (Greece for the less informed) and to so fall in love with the place. It was simply amazing, starting from the capital Athens where we both began our journey and then where we ended it with deep sadness because it was over.

If you like museums where the great works of pre Christian times are there to be seen at first hand, go to Athens. If you wish to walk barefoot on the Acropolis as I did, or at the nearby Temple of Zeus and ancient Olympic track, at the 1896 Olympic stadium... again barefoot as I did then like me you will feel even closer to the great men of that magical era who gave the world so much that we have today.

If you smoke or drink alcohol then you will be happily surprised by how cheap those items are. If you adore souvlakia, well you can eat almost three for the price I pay in Melbourne.

If you like sweets, well go to another country because once you start you will find it hard to stop.

But I actually lost weight with all the walking we did.

Athens and indeed Hellas (Greece) were magical and I will return.

Brisbane
“Experience of Athens a bit different to expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

We went to Athens for the Parthenon and surrounding historical sites. That was OK except that the continuing construction site at the Parthenon detracts from the ambiance (for the good but could it be better arranged?).

The changing of the guard at the Tomb of Unknown Soldier is an absolute must.

The abiding memory was the overt drug use and prostitution on the streets north of Omonia Square. We had no problems and never really felt unsafe except in our imagination in dark streets.

Be prepared to see this part of Athens life.

Apple Valley, Minnesota
“Athens - History and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

The guidebook I had read said that Athens was a difficult city to love, but I found the opposite. I found Athens to be friendly, easy to navigate and full of surprises.

We had only two days in Athens after taking a cruise, and we made the obvious visits to the Acropolis, the Parliament and tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and several museums. We also took time to enjoy some of the green spaces in Athens. We walked in the National Gardens,and enjoyed the scenery and the greenery at Lykavittos Hill.

We also enjoyed seeing slices of the life of Greek citizens: a christening at St. Georges Chapel, a Sunday morning bike ride for all ages on the main street in front of our hotel. a juggler entertaining cars stopped at a red light, and a man sitting in front of his apartment playing his guitar.

I would recommend Athens to any traveler who wants to visit a city that is interesting and full of attractions. My only caution is that there is a lot of walking, and at places like the Acropolis, few handrails. It is not a place for people who cannot walk and take stairs.

Denver, CO
“First Time Visit to Athens - amazing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

This was my first time in Athens, and Greece in general. It was amazing. We stayed at the Apollo Hotel which is very close to many of the city squares and the Metaxourgeio Metro Station. We visited all but one notable area in Athens. It was advised to stay away from Omonia Square; said to be a pretty questionable area at night. Transportation to and from just about anywhere in the city is so easY! The city Metro is the way to go! Inexpensive fare and expansive city coverage.

Seeing all the sites in Athens was awesome and definitely do-able in a few days. I recommend buying the 5 pass that gives you entrance to 5 sites: the Acroplis, Theatre of Dionysus, Karamaekos Cemetery and if I remember correctly the Ancient and the Roman Agoras. A great deal! But make sure you can make it to all 5 within a few days as the pass has an expiration date.

Hanging out in the city at night was one of the bright times of my trip. Venture through the city streets, or ask a friendly local to direct you to where the action is. Next, find a seat, enjoy a nice dinner and relax while conversing with the friendly local business men and women. After all, this is what vacationing is all about. : )

Been to Athens? Share your experiences!