“Wonderful ambiance for an evening meal” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #381 of 2,048 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Dafnes is a classic in every sense of the word located in Plaka and the preferred destination of visiting public figures from the international political scene and business world.
Astana, Kazakhstan
“Wonderful ambiance for an evening meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I went with my family one evening on the advice of a hotel staffer suggestion at Athens Gate. The walk was short and we were able to be seated right away. We got a central courtyard table on a wonderful cool evening in October. With all of the city sounds around outside we heard nothing but the low conversations and occasional clinking of glasses offering a toast. The food was very tasty. Prepared well and served in manageable portions. We sampled appetizers including smoked salmon (wonderful!) salads and moved on to main dishes paired with a nice greek savaignon blanc wine and finished with ouza and dessert. Everyone enjoyed their meal and we would definitely go back if we are in the area again. The staff were very attentive and even offered a little something extra to us and our boys (ages 9 & 10) before leaving. A good value and a real gem of a place located in the heart of the city.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Athens, Greece
“Beautiful location, mediocre food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

The inner courtyard of the restaurant is really beautiful. A wonderful surprise. Although I live in the area I had never been there as I feared the restaurant might be overpriced for its quality of food. So I was pleasantly surprised by the inner courtyard when a friend took me there on Saturday.

The service was very good indeed as well. The food however was very mediocre. Unfortunately it was as I feared. Overpriced for its quality.

There are other much better restaurants to go to in the area. Some offer equally or more beautiful settings, some are lacking in style but a number of them offer far better food quality.

I would only go again for the romantic setting and I would only have wine.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
antwerpen
“Not a tourist trap at all!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Although originally fearing to fall into a tourist trap, the nice setting and varied menu got the better of us and we most certainly did not regret it, on the contrary. Staff went out of their way to comply with my wife's diet demands and I truly enjoyed a very good Greec meal as recommended by the waiter. Plaka has a lot to offer in terms of restaurants, but Daphne's is a good choice to spend a nice evening after a busy day visiting the many feats of Athens.

Visited September 2013
Westford, Massachusetts
“Quiet meal in the Plaka”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

To start, the location is excellent; a secluded little grotto in the heart of the Plaka. The tables are set back from the street, surrounded by stone and covered with an awning. The lighting creates a very cozy atmosphere. The menu offered a good range of choices, not just the traditional Greek tourist menu. Salad was fresh and crisp and, as mentioned, more than enough for two. We had two entrées. The veal was well prepared and tasty, but nothing special. The seafood mixed grill was very good with fish, large prawns and scallops. Each was cooked perfectly and the potatoes and vegetable sides were also well prepared (crisp, not overly cooked). This dish was excellent and in itself also enough for two. The wine list also offered a good range of prices with several reds and whites available by the glass or half bottle.

The service was excellent, attentive without being intrusive. I'd definitely recommend the restaurant for a quiet couple's dinner.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Athens, Greece
“Attentive Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I had an excellent meal here with very attentive service. On this occasion I chose not to have Greek food and instead had the peppered steak, it was delicious. I also had a salad, but one tip, the salads are made for two! The dessert was awesome, an updated rice pudding with ice cream. I was also given a complimentary shot of dessert wine. Well recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Food