“Convenient, clean, no frills but good value” 4 of 5 stars

Crystal City Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Achilleos 4, Athens 104 37, Greece   |
Ranked #127 of 325 Hotels in Athens
Orlando
“Convenient, clean, no frills but good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed at the Crystal city for 3 nights in all at the beginning and end of an island sailing trip. The good - very conveniently situated for metro and bus tours, nice reasonably priced lobby bar, some good hot and cold breakfast choices, free luggage storage in a keyed luggage store while I was sailing. Reception staff were largely helpful wherever they could be. My group had lots of happy meetings in the lobby bar and the staff were always attentive and friendly.
The disappointing - uncomfortable beds, noisy corridors, tiny elevator. Free wifi only in the lobby/ restaurant but it was free and quite adequate. I had a noisy group of children in my corridor at night and when I complained to the front desk they acted to try and address it. Overall for a convenient city center hotel I found it good value and I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

No help with luggage, very basic room. Beds like planks. When the plug was pulled on the tub, the water came up the floor drain in the bathroom.Self service breakfast with little choice and poor products.
The only saving grace is the rooftop bar and restaurant that is only open in the evening.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels would be better choices.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The hotel (3 star) is clean and convenient for us to stay over ( twin bed) before moving on to northern part of Greece to visit family. We booked it in October 2013 on the net with confirmation but were told no room available when we arrived. The manager reassured us that he would move us to a better 4 Star hotel with good view. When we arrived the Phidias Hotel, we were put in a single room. After our complaint, we were moved to a twin room with air conditioning broken down, window covered by a canvass permanently an Ethernet wardrobe was blocked by the bed. We protested and were moved agin to another twin room with working air conditioning. However, the safe did not work and the staff did not care when we complaint again.
When we checked the Internet, the Crystal City Hotel still got available room. We phoned and confronted the Crystal hotel manager, he did not care and ignored us. We also confronted him being dishonest about the actually two star rating of the Phidias Hotel. He again did not care.
We felt that we were cheated by the Crystal City Hotel. Crystal City Hotel and The Phidias Hotel are affirmed to each other as per the manager.
Please be careful if you book Crystal city hotel and they move you to another hotel on you arrival. You are likely get down graded from 3 star to 2 star hotel. I believe it is dishonesty.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Wemmel, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We arrived at 21.30 and were quickly informed about the facilities.
Decided to eat at the roof terras restaurant. Beautiful view of the Acropolis on one side (other side is blocked by an enourmous empty hotel). Food was good, but not more than that.
Second day we ate at restaurant Alexander The Great (a little bit more expensive, but close to the hotel and nice typical Greek food).

Hotel room was really small, we had a corner room at the back of the hotel, so no street noise, but unfortunately there was a group of kids staying and it seemed like they partied all night.
Bathroom was decent and clean.

Breakfast was in my opinion quite poor. Average choice, but we arrived at 9 and there was almost nothing left. The staff didn't hurt themselves to add more or be helpful to clients. Had to ask for a knife because they were more busy talking than watching the buffet and their clients.

Location is good. Just outside of the busy city center, but with a metro just around the corner (50m). In 10mins you'll be standing at the Acropolis. Really easy to find.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

In a good location, near the metro station. There are many shops and markets near the hotel. Big and clean room. The wifi was free of charge at the main hall. The restaurant in the rooftop has good view of Acropoli.

• Stayed August 2013
Guangzhou
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

It is a nice 3-star hotel of great value for money. If you have limited budget yet still want to enjoy the convenience of transportation, clean and comfortable accommodations, and a nice view of Acropolis, this hotel is highly recommended!
My room was on the 6th Floor where I could enjoy the view of Acropolis from my balcony. The night view was especially beautiful. I stayed in this hotel twice, booking the same type of room (twin room). Room 604 and 602 both enjoy the view of Acropolis. But Room 602 was much smaller than Room 604. The Room 604 was spacious and comfortable.
The breakfast was good, with variety of choices. The hotel receptionists and cleaning lady were nice and friendly.
The hotel location was quite convenient: the nearest metro station (Metaxourgeio) was just around the corner. The National Archeological Museum was in 15-minute walking distance. Before I went there, I read reviews about the concern of the rundown neighborhood. It wasn't so bad. During my stay, I never felt unsafe.
I liked everything about the hotel except the shower nozzle in the bathroom. The shower nozzle couldn't be fixed above the level of my waist (and I'm a small-sized girl). It was impossible for me to wash my hair.

Room Tip: If you would like to enjoy the view of Acropolis, request "a balcony room with Acropolis view...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there four times while in business in Athens , very good value for money , breakfast buffet very nice and even got fried eggs the way I like them , rooms a bit small but the all are in Athens .

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Crystal City Hotel? Share your experiences!