“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #106 of 324 hotels in Athens
Eugene, Oregon
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Pagration Youth Hostel advertises many things which simply aren't included, and the maintenance of the building is lacking.

Amenities which are advertised but not included: central heating, wi-fi, safe deposit, information desk, washing machine and dryer, and 24-hour hot water.

I was there in March, and there was no heating in our female dorm. We had a fan, but it was very chilly in the room, and my friend and I were constantly shivering. Additionally, it cost money to take a shower with hot water, and the taps in the bathrooms did not have hot water. I would pay euro to take a shower, but after 5 minutes the shower water would turn icy and I'd have to sprint out and put more money in. Once the machine ate my money, and the staff wouldn't give me a refund.

The safe deposit is just the room where the manager sleeps. There was one young man working 24-7, and when I wanted to get my luggage I had to track him down or wake him up. Though there was an information desk, it was empty the whole time I was there, so in order to get maps, advice, etc, I also had to track the young man down. This man told me he was working for room and board, so it seemed to me that 1) he was overworked, and 2) there wasn't much incentive to provide good service.

I booked a private room, but when I showed up the manager had sent all the queen-sized sheets to the wash so we had no bedding. They gave us some small blankets in place of sheets. Even though they had advance notice, they weren't ready for us.

The wi-fi was out the entire week we were there. They sent us to an internet cafe 10 minutes away, where we had to spend more money to use the internet.

There is also no clothes dryer. After using the washing machine (which costs more euro), I had to walk up a rickety spiral staircase to the roof and line-dry my clothes.

I booked this hostel because I thought it was a good value for my money. But after paying for hot water, internet, and washing, it turned out to be more expensive than other hostels with better resources.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Great hostel cool and awosome. everything was amazing most of the staff( Boy) was so nice and funny. ha made us the best greek salad ever... although you had to pay 50 for the shower but that was reasonable and everything else made p for it and it was tottaly coo and awosome . it's too bad that we did'nt get to stay so long . but I loved the hostel. an it was in fact the best hosel I ever stayed at ...

• Stayed June 2013
Malcesine, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The hostel is fine but some of the staff is mean and icky to everyone (the girl staff) but Jonathan other staff was very nice and cool ... It's too bad that he had to put up with the other staff all day long the annoying girl is so pushy and a clean freak in an UN necessary way... the fact that you had to pay 50 cents for hot shower wasn't so bad but just the hasten of bringing the coin with you was a little frustrating and everything was very near including the big sites

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I want to start off by saying that this place is perfectly reasonable for the price. However, what is not reasonable is the fact that they COMPETELY misrepresent themselves in every hostel booking site as well as their own site and Facebook page. These sites indicate that they take credit cards as payment; they do not. The site indicates that they have 24 hour reception; they so not. Their staffed by a motly crew but the woman who seems to be in charge acts as if you are inconveniencing her when asking for a service that is supposedly provided. She always seems to be sleepy and does not assist the other staff in cleaning, but rather tells them what to do in a harsh tone (including a young man that couldn't be older than 15). We checked out on time but had an evening flight so we decided to stay in the common area (where it was indicated previously that we could stay until 4PM) to hang out with some new friends. This same woman came to us at 3:00 and told us we had to leave AT 3:00! So we were kicked out in an impromptu manner and then she wanted a hug when we left! Also, they claim to clean the linens for each person, but they were clearly dusty and matted. Finally we come to the "quiet hours". These are enforced before 8AM, between 12 and 5PM and after 11PM. However there were several people being loud early in the morning and I didn't hear a single reprimand. Alternately, when 4 of us were quietly chatting in the common area and the same woman told us (in a rather loud voice) that we needed to be quiet. It seems as if she picks and chooses which rules to enforce when based on who she likes and what is easiest. Ultimately, I consider myself a thrifty person but I would absolutely not go back to this hostel.

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I had a great stay at Pagration in Athens. I really recommend it! The price absolutely can't be beat for what you are getting-- I think it's the best hostel in Athens. The others are all either quite expensive or in sketchy locations or both. This hostel is quite cheap and in a great neighborhood. I was a solo female traveler and I never felt unsafe in Athens or at the hostel. It's very easily accessible by tram, and I got a female only room where there was only one other guest, so this was really nice. The people who work there are very friendly and help point out directions and sightseeing destinations in the city. Athens is a wonderful city and Pagration is a great place to stay to experience it!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This place I recommend! A little bit out of the centre only takes about 20mins walk and tram to monastiraki. The area is safe, (we were walked by a random old lady with a walking stick to our hostel).
Henry one of the staff is always there to help. The first day he sat down with us and told us all the key points to visit in Athens, including where all the dodgy areas are.
He also told us a detailed step by step itinery to get to Meteora, after researching on the Internet for ever.
The place is clean, wifi is found everywhere. Clean kitchen, with lots of free herbs and if you're lucky free pita bread!
Close to a supermarket, and a really good and cheap fast Greek food shop and bakery.

We ended up staying 5 nights instead of 2, totally worth it!

• Stayed April 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Great service with a Ranger smile. I came to Greece with no idea what to do or where to go. The Hostel was very goo at sending me directions. They where very informative a lot of directions of where to go and things to do. Place is clean and there is a open day room with tv. Wifi so that you can look things up and not garbage wifi that bogs down when everyone is on the net but proper wifi fast. Henry is knowledgeable and curtius and always available for questions.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Pagration Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!