“Convenient.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Apollo Hotel

You added Apollo Hotel to your Saves list
Apollo Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Achilleos Street | Metaxourghio Square, Athens 104 36, Greece   |
Ranked #137 of 326 Hotels in Athens
“Convenient.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011 via mobile

Convenient to ruins, museums, airport; ATM, cafes, & 24hr deli on block; public transportation close by as well. Great value for us since we spent more time out of hotel than in room. Room small but adequate for needs, clean, staff helpful. Street noise to be expected as hotel is on a busy street! Would stay there again since would rather spend money at ruins, on great locqal food etc, than a "pretty" hotel room...a clean room with a bed & bath at a great price is better! The 24hr Deli across the street is ideal for the 3am munchies as well!

• Stayed November 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Jupiter, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

The rooftop cafe with views of the Acropolis was closed alas as we were there in 'winter' (Nov. 7 thru 16, 2011) But our room's balcony still had a great view of the acropolis, tucked between two ugly buildings, but nonetheless the magical ancient site could be seen. To the other side the view from our balcony was the lovely garden and fountain that graces the square next door to the Apollo.
The desk and bar staff was friendly, spoke wonderful English, and were helpful. The room was clean, everything worked, and the beds were comfortable. It was not the newest decor, or best of everything in the room, but it was quite a good value for the price. (With the exception of the ugliest painting I have ever seen in my life, that hung on our room's main wall) the room was charming and comfortable...quite acceptable in spite of not being recently renovated or 'fancy.' I'd suggest ya not ask for room 406 because of that painting but the balcony view more than made up for it.
The neighborhood had been called 'dangerous' by other reviewers and our hired driver (thru http://www.greektaxi.gr/ who was WONDERFUL) but actually we found the nearby restaurant in the other hotel there in the square beside the Apollo hotel and the little fast food place across from the hotel both good stops for on-foot travel, and a ATM outside a bank also right across the street was useful...though we were 'careful' when out and about there on foot alone, it was not so bad that one could not venture out to those places, as some would make it sound.
The street noise some complained of did not trouble me, as a mother of six, or my traveling companion as she wears earplugs to sleep...and when it did wake me It would just remind me to step out onto that balcony over the street to look at the lit up Acropolis.
Did I mention our balcony view of the Acropolis was awesome?

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

My room at the Apollo Hotel and Alitalia came as a package I purchased on CheapTickets.com along with a flight from Rome to Athens on Alitalia. I read reviews of the hotel. The neighborhood's condition seemed to dominate most of the reviews I read. Nonetheless, The Apollo itself, although not five star, seemed to be a firm three star.
Therefore, I did not expect anything grand, which usually helps make the real thing seem not bad at all. In retrospect, it was not merely average, but then again, I cannot honestly say it was excellent. However, the room was, what I consider to be, a good size as was the bathroom. It looked and felt clean. Fresh towels were provided daily.
As for the staff, most of them, with the exception of one, were quite pleasant and very helpful. Considering the turmoil on everyones' mind - there had been no garbage pickups for weeks and there were numerous strikes in reaction to the economic crisis - I was a little surprised to be treated with such courtesy and so frequently.
The Apollo's rooftop cafe was a comfortable place to enjoy the city far from the traffic
After sunset, the rooftop view of the brightly lit Acropolis is a quiet, peaceful little treat.
A buffet breakfast was included in my stay at the Hotel Apollo. I was pleasantly surprised to see a pretty full buffet and I was able to enjoy a pleasant breakfast (even though the coffee could have been better).
The buffet itself consisted of a couple of different kinds of bread, various jellies and jams, hard boiled eggs, bowls of cling peaches next to bowls of yogurt, fruit juice, tea and an abundant suppply of Americanized coffee.
This certainly qualified as a "very good" on the rating scale.
As for the neighborhood I never had a problem with it. It isn't the grandest of neighborhoods but I certainly did not feel threatened in anyway.
Under more normal circumstances, I can see where public transportation is very accessible. That was not the case when strikes were so frequent.
Nonetheless, I did not find it difficult to walk from The Apollo down through Omonia Sq. and on to Syntagma Sq. and the Parliament. From here it was a short walk to the Athens Flea Market and the restaurants, and Souvlaki Stands in and around Monastirakos Sq.

Room Tip: I lucked out and had a room on the second level, only a short stairway to the breakfast buffet.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I read reviews of this hotel here before I went there and didn't thinkg it would be as bad as it was, but only after I arrived and had my own bad experience and it was too late to leave did I read the really bad reviews. Let me start by saying that the people working at this hotel, and in fact in Greece itself, were some of the nicest and warmest folks I have ever met. Now lets get to the hotel and how bad it really is. I have photos to show you some of the things I reference here so take a look if you like. Ever hear you get what you pay for? Well, this place IS cheap, now I know why. I am a woman traveling alone and usually stay at Hilton, Marriott, and other brand name properties and above all value my safety. My travel agent told me she had sent lots of folks to his hotel and no one complained. They must have been young people or couples. The only people I saw staying at this place were young folks, guys and a few couples in their 30s. It reminded me of a youth hostel. I paid more than most for a room with a view of the Acropolis, and yes it had a view of it, plus the slums the hotel is located in. It is not near anything, except the metro. When I checked into the hotel it was night time and the front desk clerk told me not to take anything with me when I leave the hotel at night except money and showed me some place on the map to avoid, not sure why THIS place was not one of them. There was a prostitute in the lobby when I checked in. The next day when I asked the day clerk about it she asked me what time I checked in. What time? Is it EVER a good time for a prostitute to be in the lobby? When I was outside in the late afternoon speaking with a desk clerk a drunk came up to us and was asking for money. When a driver picked me up in front of the hotel for 1:1 tour a guy came up to the van while we were at a light and started to clean the windshield for money, the driver had to yell at him repeatedly to go away. When I went up to my room when I first arrived I noticed ants on the floor near a hole in the tiles. The slot you need to put your key in for the lights to work was taped together. The bed felt like an old convertible pull out couch from 20 years ago, the hardest bed I have ever slept on. The doors have no safety chain, dead bolt or safety bar to use when you are inside, just the lock on the doorknob. I went to use the bathroom and after removing the paper over the toilet seat and comode that ensures me that the toilet had been "sanitized" I saw the remains of someone elses bowel movement, gross. I hoped it was the cleaning person that placed the paper and not the previous guest but either way, not acceptable. For breakfast they have an assortment of foods available which included scrambled eggs. They put them in a large bowl, with no heat source. So unless you go right when the breakfast is put out they are stoned cold. The shower was so small that if you dropped anything you would have to turn it off and open the shower stall doors to pick it up. The hotel felt bad about my being unhappy with my room so they offered to put me in a suite and I took them up on their offer after I learned from my travel agejt that if I changed I would have lost the entire 5 night stay I had to pay my agent up front AND pay for another hotel. This time we went together to check out the bathroom and it was fine. One day the tour needed to reach me and this is when the front desk clerk and I found out there was no phone in the suite. A suite with no phone, weird. The bathrooms, which were down the hall in my suite had no heat and it was in the 40s at night when I was there so when you got out of the shower you dried and dressed very quickly. Lucky for me I had set up tours every day so I did not need to be in the hotel very much. I picked this place with the understanding that I would be picked up at THIS hotel for my tours, that is another reason I booked it. Nope. I had to walk 2 blocks to be picked up, in this scary neighborhood. I was fortunate that the bus drivers dropped me across the street from my hotel so I did not have to walk far at night to get to back yo my room. I was told by one of my guides that 3% of Athens is a slum, well I stayed in that 3 percent at this hotel. I wanted to sleep in one of the times that my tour started later and they were rennovating some of the bathrooms in the hotel and the construction noise was so loud there was no way I could do that, or even hang out in the lobby. If I ever go back to Athens I would pay the extra and stay close to attractions and read the reviews of my next hotel here right before I leave for my trip and before the term to get a refund runs out.

Room Tip: If you insist on going here don't stay on a low floor and don't worry about your view, there...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

We had 2 rooms for 6 nights in October.
The positives were
1/relaxing on the rooftop at sundown with a drink as the lights came on at the Acroplois, 2/Close proximity to metro, 3/The staff were very helpful during the strikes, 4/The price, 5/ Great breakfast, 6/The typical Greek restaurant nearby
The negatives
1/A bit noisy with quite a few students staying though they did try to be quiet, 2/The area is run down and we did not venture more than 500 metres by foot but bare in mind there was a garbage strike on and we had an 80 year old with us, we are mid 50's. Also on the front a bit of road noise.
By bus we saw a number of areas and it appeared you would have to pay big dollars to stay in a better area or settle for outer suburbs to do any better. Rooms were clean showers hot.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room away from road.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Our welcome at the hotel was warm and friendly, and the advice helpful. Our first 24 was magic, but then disaster - we were robbed in a main street. Then no-one wanted to know us. The hotel became almost hostile. We couldn't leave fast enough but even that was difficult due to all the strikes. Positives: clean & tidy rooms, double-glazing helped dampen traffic noise, good AC, ample food at breakfast. Negatives: uncaring staff, food of poor quality, restaurant ran out of food.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better view and less traffic noise.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We purchased this deal as a flight + hotel, because of the low price of THy flight from Istanbul (we have purchased 2 tickets with the airlen offered single seat price) and the geographical location. The experience with the hotel was not that of great, small but clean rooms, excellent front office staff helpful for anything anytime, they have given detail information about Athens, crossed out must see places on a map and ansered all questions nicely. thanks alot to them.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Apollo Hotel? Share your experiences!